What pisses me off about the key2audio protection

:a By not letting CDs play on PC/MACs, Sony has:

1. Made a sweeping assumption that all PC/MAC users who buy their CDs will try to copy it illegally (e.g. 3rd party sale/distribution). I, for one, just want to get a backup so we can keep the original safe from scratches while I listen to stuff.

I mean, this assumption is so glaringly prejudicial that I might as well say all immigrants are criminals or all male school teachers screw little boys.

Not only that, it also goes against the tenet of the modern judicial system - “Innocent before proven guilty”. Unless they can prove all PC/MAC users are buying their stuff to copy illegally, they are acting on a “Guilty before proven innocent” basis.

1. Limited our freedoms. I’ll buy that CD and play it on my damn comp, car stereo or discman if I want to, thank you very much. Who are they to say “You can’t play this on your comp.” We might as well have beer manufacturers saying “You can’t drink beer after 8pm” or TV manufacturers saying “You can only watch this-and-this on my TV”.

2. Reduced their potential market for selling their music. Just like being a tyre maker and only selling motorcycle tyres, or a supermarket only selling tinned food. There are people out there who drive cars, want to buy fresh food and want to play the CDs they paid for on their comps. A good example of corporate stupidity if I ever saw one.

I’m going to return all of my music CDs protected by this protection that are within the return window for a full refund. I hope some of you would agree enough with me to do the same.

Nothing new here dude :slight_smile:

I’m not gonna return my Key2Audio protected cd’s , simply because i have not got any. Luckily i’m not that bound in my freedom that i am forced to buy only key2audio protected cd’s. I will simply NOT buy them at all.

Same goes for copy protected beer :slight_smile:

Isnt their a way to circumvent this copy protection?

Originally posted by c0re
Isnt their a way to circumvent this copy protection?

Several , but not all what you might wished for. Most plextors can read the key2audio cd’s perfectly (and thus you can copy them) if i’m not mistaken.

I do believe very very old drives (MMC II or lower , again , if i’m not mistaken) have no issues with them as well.

And then there’s the "audio cd player stereo , headphone output , recording pc sound card input , method.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere

I do believe very very old drives (MMC II or lower , again , if i’m not mistaken) have no issues with them as well.

Hehe maybe it was a good idea to keep my 486 packard bell :smiley:

Any drive which does not support multisession can read Key2Audio without any issue, as well as most Plextor drives, Yamaha F1-E and a few others.

Alexnoe, does that mean if you buy a CD drive that can read key2audio CDs now, you will really be buying a ‘crappy’ one in the sense that it can’t have multisessions?

Are there any drives out there which you can explicitly order not to read the data track and go straight for the audio?

By the way, I realised that what Sony is doing - crashing some ppls comps by having such a copy protection, is actually illegal. Yes, they said that “Will not play on PC/MAC” but they did not say “Will probably crash your computer”. Actually, they did, but only in a press release and so, there will always be people who read the “Will not play on PC/MAC” but not the “Will probably crash your computer” one.

There is a difference between telling someone “Don’t drink that glass of water” and “That glass of water has cyanide in it”. Unfortunately, us small fry don’t have the legal muscle or money to sue them :a

Originally posted by Devils Advocate
[B]Alexnoe, does that mean if you buy a CD drive that can read key2audio CDs now, you will really be buying a ‘crappy’ one in the sense that it can’t have multisessions?

Are there any drives out there which you can explicitly order not to read the data track and go straight for the audio?
[/B]

2 questions, 2 answers:

No, all modern drives can read multi-session cds.

Yes, new Plextor drives can be set to single-session mode with Plextools.

Originally posted by Mr. Belvedere
Same goes for copy protected beer :slight_smile:

[offtopic]
How can I backup my beer? :smiley:
[/offtopic]

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]

[offtopic]
How can I backup my beer? :smiley:
[/offtopic] [/B]

by adding a filter to your toilet :bigsmile:

The Last 3 cd’s I have bought have been protected and they didn’t even have the balls to say it anywhere on the cd, The ones I have bought recently are Bruce Springstein “The Rising”, Cher “Believe” and AC/DC “Stiff Upper Lip”, I bought all 3 and no where, and I mean nowhere does it state that they won’t play in a pc/mac or that they are even protected, they won’t play in my sony home theatre system either, or any RCA stereo that I have here