What outdated technology will you miss?

vbimport

[QUOTE=Wombler;2632743]Seems bizarre that I had something so eco friendly back then and that still isn’t commonplace now.[/QUOTE]
Rumor is that the industry stopped making them because they didn’t sell as many watches as they used to.

I miss Solid State Drives. OH WAIT! It isn’t the year 2015 yet…:eek:

Like Seán I had a recorder but mine was a small portable (battery powered) reel to reel.
I had a lot of fun with it . I don’t remember which now but it was either a major Christmas or birthday present.

Dot matrix printers.

They’re still actually sold, e.g. Epson LQ300+ which has been available for a long time now (Amazon UK link). It’s just that their prices have gone up from the time they were marketed at consumers.

The first printer I used was a Citizen Swift 200 24-pin dot Matrix and the ribbon seemed to last forever and could still at least print faded text when it was running dry. Even when it was replaced, a black ribbon only cost something like €5. This probably explains why most businesses here still print invoices on with a dot matrix printer.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2632768]Rumor is that the industry stopped making them because they didn’t sell as many watches as they used to.[/QUOTE]

Probably because of the lack of battery replacements as well.

The original one lasted me about ten years! :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2632743]You know it’s taken me ages thinking of this as most outdated things have usually been replaced by bigger and better things but I had a proper solar powered watch back in the early 1980’s that was light years ahead of its time.

When I say proper solar powered I mean the solar panel didn’t just supplement the battery it actually recharged it.

It was a fabulous looking design that was so far ahead of it’s time it would still look modern today and even had a quartz panel instead of normal glass.

When the battery eventually went I remember chatting to an old watchmaker who told me that these fully rechargeable watches were extremely rare to start with and almost non-existent at that stage.

They didn’t even make a rechargeable battery for it anymore and I had to go with a non-rechargeable one.

Seems bizarre that I had something so eco friendly back then and that still isn’t commonplace now.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Not the same, but there are watches that rely on kinetic energy to remain charged. I have one and use it occasionally since all other watches have died. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2632790]They’re still actually sold, e.g. Epson LQ300+ which has been available for a long time now (Amazon UK link). It’s just that their prices have gone up from the time they were marketed at consumers.

The first printer I used was a Citizen Swift 200 24-pin dot Matrix and the ribbon seemed to last forever and could still at least print faded text when it was running dry. Even when it was replaced, a black ribbon only cost something like €5. This probably explains why most businesses here still print invoices on with a dot matrix printer.[/QUOTE]
That and multi-part forms. Laser and Inkjet don’t do impact too well. We still have a dot-matrix connected to one of the alarm systems at work because of the continuous paper. My first dot-matrix was an Epson MX-70. I got it instead of the more famous and popular MX-80 because it had eight print wires (instead of nine). I hand assembled a driver for the 6502 (VIC-20) so I could do screen dumps.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2632743]You know it’s taken me ages thinking of this as most outdated things have usually been replaced by bigger and better things but I had a proper solar powered watch back in the early 1980’s that was light years ahead of its time.
[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I have one of the Casio tough solar/waveceptor/G shock watches and it sounds similar to yours though digital. I wear it to work every day and never take it off. It looks like it’s been through a war and still works and holds a full charge some 5 years later.
They also have analog/digital versions that are more dressy, I bought one of those too for when I want a nicer looking but still bullet proof watch to wear on special occasions.
They solar charge, set themselves by WWV every night, and are almost bullet proof so you might want to check them out on Amazon and regular stores that sell watches if you’d like a similar one that’s up to date.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2632743]Seems bizarre that I had something so eco friendly back then and that still isn’t commonplace now.[/QUOTE] Perhaps not commonplace, but still available (I have one):

Casio Wave Ceptor WVA-430TDE (and some other models as well)

Well here’s a version of mine, same thing except mine has blue border strip
http://www.casio.com/products/archive/Watches/G-Shock/GW300A-1V/
And here’s my dressier version http://casio-solar-watches2.blogspot.com/2012/02/casio-men-gw1400da-4av-g-shock-atomic.html
I like a tank for a watch what with what I do for a living :bigsmile:. The watch I used before this was a Timex Ironman, before that one of Timex’s first stainless steel Ironman digital watches, but the Timex were never solar but they also stood up to the massive abuse my watches get, the batteries finally died and eventually I upgraded.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2632950]Perhaps not commonplace, but still available (I have one):

Casio Wave Ceptor WVA-430TDE (and some other models as well)

[/QUOTE]

Ooh I like the look of that too. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I have a solar cigarette lighter. Got it from Radio Shack some time in the seventies or eighties.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2632969]I have a solar cigarette lighter. Got it from Radio Shack some time in the seventies or eighties.[/QUOTE]

Wow I’m sure that’s pretty rare now. Probably quite a desirable collectors item too.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I HAD a bunch of those as I used to help stock and take up slack at a RS store back in the early 90’s. When they discoed them once they got to a certain point they were fair game to throw away or take home, I took all we had home.:bigsmile:
I’ve never smoked either but they were just cool and probably could be used to start a warming fire as long as it was sunny enough and like that.

I tried lighting a Firecracker with it. Big mistake!

The Video Casssette Recorder (VCR)

Unlike DVD and Blu-ray players, the VCR was designed with the customer in mind. They did exactly what the customer wanted - play, fast-forward, record, etc. The only region control was due to different TV standards, but higher end VCRs came with the ability to play both NTSC and PAL tapes. You could also connect them up with any TV.

The VCR could record practically anything fed into it. Sure Macrovision resulted in an unwatchable picture, but this not a restriction enforced by the VCR. I don’t recall a VCR ever saying anything like “Recording stopped - Copy protected”.

DVD/Blu-ray players and recorders are designed for the movie industry. Just try skipping the trailers and warnings on a title and you’ll very quickly be told off. Recording a film to watch later is also a thing of the past, except in the TV provider’s own approved DVR. Try connecting a Blu-ray player up to an older DVI display or projector and it’ll either not play or lower the output resolution. Even if you do successfully make a backup disc without all the annoying trailers and warnings, newer Cinavia-crippled Blu-ray players and some firmware updates will kick you out of the movie after 20 minutes.

Finally, VCRs did not need software updates - Just insert the tape, skip the messages and enjoy the movie.

Etch a sketch-it was ahead of it’s time ,who didn’t have one-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etch_A_Sketch

Paper.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2634753]Paper.[/QUOTE] I may have missed it, but when did paper ceased to be of usage?