What outdated technology will you miss?

vbimport

Guy’s
I have been thinking about how quickly time passes.
So I was thinking what old tech will you miss?
Me crt t.v’s:sad:

I miss having a car that you can fix yourself no matter what was needed. Now you have to have a degree in electrical engineering, computer science and mechanical engineering to repair your car. The up side is today’s cars are much more reliable, efficient and will go for over 200k miles easily if maintained properly.

I miss certain older household appliances, such as toasters and vacuum cleaners. For example, our first toaster, kettle and vacuum cleaner all lasted about 20 years. We have gone through 3 to 4 replacements of each appliance in the past few <10 years. Even with the rather expensive Dyson vacuum we bought just 3 years ago, the hose is badly kinking, the dust cylinder release button has cracked off and a few other pieces are fraying or cracking on it, issues that we didn’t have with the original bagged vacuum.

My Dyson has a 5 year warranty and I just call them and tell them what I need and they send it. Never question me or ask for the old part in return.

I’m not sure this qualifies but I miss being able to buy & use R12 Freon . The substitute refrigerant is crap .
Conversion to R134A is expensive & doesn’t work all that well .
It does OK in a system it is designed for but is still too high pressured.
This causes more leaking problems. 134A is not as ozone depleting but is about 100 times more heat reflective than R12 when it escapes into the atmosphere.
The real reason R12 caused the problems it did with the ozone layer was not its use as a refrigerant . The amount lost that way was recoverable by the ozone layer .
The problem was it was used as a propellant from everything from hair spray to horns used at sporting events . Basically used in most aerosol cans. I would just like to be able to service my classic vehicles.
Now there is a new one that was approved last year & R134A will be phased out causing problems for those vehicle owners.
The new one is HFO-1234yf & honestly I don’t know much about it yet.
So as UTR posted vehicles you can work on.

[QUOTE=zap em;2632187]Guy’s
Me crt t.v’s:sad:[/QUOTE]

Funnily enough, I do miss my own CRT, a Sammy - had it 7 years, was still working when I replaced it with my current LED one, and had a beautiful picture and sound.

Wasn’t half bulky and heavy to lift, though, which is why it got replaced.

/me bets Chad will come along at some point and mention his VCRs :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2632215]My Dyson has a 5 year warranty and I just call them and tell them what I need and they send it. Never question me or ask for the old part in return.[/QUOTE]

I find them to have great customer service too. The canister broke on ours and they sent a new one to us immediately with no hassles. We have had our Dyson for well over five years and I think it is one of the best engineered household appliances that one can buy. It requires little maintenance and no consumables like bags and filters. It is one of the few items I have bought that far exceeded my expectations.

[QUOTE=zap em;2632187]Guy’s
Me crt t.v’s:sad:[/QUOTE]

I can’t say the same about CRT TVs. The last one we had was a 36" Sony flat screen and it was mega heavy. So heavy that we never moved it in the 3-4 years we had it. It weighed about 300 lbs. and I danced a jig the day the Best Buy minions took it away. In fact, the reason I bought an HDTV from Best Buy was because they would take away your old TV for free. I tried to give the TV away on Craig’s List be nobody would take it!

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lho6nyGGha1qatoj9o1_1280.jpg

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2632243]http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lho6nyGGha1qatoj9o1_1280.jpg[/QUOTE]

The only exception I take to the list is the short pencil being for those that do little. It would seem to me that they do a lot which is why the pencil is so short. :slight_smile:

Anybody miss this? :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2632255]Anybody miss this? :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

nah. I still have one…:clap:

Hmm, tough one. I don’t miss CRT or rotary dial systems or faxes or stuff like that. The alternatives are awesome and usually a lot better. Sure, you can miss the design of some things, but the technology behind it? Nah.

I kinda miss the original IBM AT keyboard. It was made out of metal and virtually indestructible. Then again it was also very heavy and slow.

I kinda miss the old lightbulbs, although they are highly inefficient, they are cheaper and easier to dim.

Yeah,
I miss IBM the company. The one here in california
has been closed for a few years. Their computers
were pretty cool for their time.:frowning:
Zap

Not very old but the original XBOX is the one that I miss the most due to mod options. A 360 still can’t hold a candle to some of the stuff I can do with both of my modded XBOXs.

Compact Cassette,

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2632264]I kinda miss the original IBM AT keyboard. It was made out of metal and virtually indestructible. Then again it was also very heavy and slow.[/QUOTE]

I still use an old Northgate brand keyboard I bought with my first computer purchase back in 1992. They just don’t make them like it anymore. I use an adapter to plug it into today’s keyboards. The lettering on the keys is still there and in good condition as is the rest of the board. It is heavy, the key action works great and I plan to use it until it dies or I do.

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2632616]Not very old but the original XBOX is the one that I miss the most due to mod options. A 360 still can’t hold a candle to some of the stuff I can do with both of my modded XBOXs.[/QUOTE]
Why didn’t you keep it then? I’ve had 7 of them and sold them all to buy a 360 and a wii.

[QUOTE=vroom;2632620]Compact Cassette, [/QUOTE]

During my childhood, I got a toy cassette recorder and I remember being fascinated with recording and hearing my own voice and hiding the tape recorder to record other people. My brothers did the same and I’m sure I still have a few tapes from those good old days.

Unfortunately toy cassette recorders are a thing of the past with nothing to replace them. While entry level Dictaphones don’t cost much, no one would think of giving one as a toy to a child and many of the entry level models have no PC connectivity to offload recordings, which means that if they are ruined (easily done with a child), the recordings are lost.

Radio-cassette recorders were also yesterday’s way of “downloading” music. I also remember the interesting comments the DJ use to make when the odd caller made a song request and the reason they gave for the request was so that they could tape it. :stuck_out_tongue:

You know it’s taken me ages thinking of this as most outdated things have usually been replaced by bigger and better things but I had a proper solar powered watch back in the early 1980’s that was light years ahead of its time.

When I say proper solar powered I mean the solar panel didn’t just supplement the battery it actually recharged it.

It was a fabulous looking design that was so far ahead of it’s time it would still look modern today and even had a quartz panel instead of normal glass.

When the battery eventually went I remember chatting to an old watchmaker who told me that these fully rechargeable watches were extremely rare to start with and almost non-existent at that stage.

They didn’t even make a rechargeable battery for it anymore and I had to go with a non-rechargeable one.

Seems bizarre that I had something so eco friendly back then and that still isn’t commonplace now.

[B]Wombler[/B]