What Movie or Movies Have You watched Until the End Because You Thought it Would Get Better and Then Regretted?

vbimport

I am sure some have watched movies and stuck with it to the end, thinking it would get better. You then regret the fact that you will not get that wasted time back. It was just pure trash. I am going to go way back to this one that we rented on VHS.

[QUOTEEd and His Dead Mother (1993)][/QUOTE]

An out-of-towner reanimates the dead mother (Miriam Margolyes) of a hardware-store clerk (Steve Buscemi), only now she is a cannibal.

I seem to have very narrow tastes in movies, so this should be an easy one to answer. My problem is a plethora of choices.

For example, I despise Quentin Tarantino movies. Movies he’s written suck rocks, movies he’s directed are even worse. The last one I watched, [I]Django Unchained[/I], I suffered through thinking that this pile of trash has to get better at some point, but it just kept on stinking up the screen.

That said, there are probably even worse examples to be found. I’ll think about it some more for better examples.

Lots of movies which I have, thankfully, forgotten.

One that comes to mind is: [B]Lost in Translation (2003)[/B]

Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson are feeling lost and disconnected in the alien Japanese culture. This goes on for an eternity while I felt lost and disconnected from the movie. But it has a high rating on IMDb, so it must get better along the way, right?.. Wrong!

This is the usual reason for me wasting time with a movie; the presumption that what a lot of other people like will also be something that I’ll enjoy myself, or if it wins an Oscar it must be worth seeing.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2771645]while I felt lost and disconnected from the movie.[/QUOTE]

Lol I think that’s the point. The film is supposed to make you feel lost and frustrated.

[QUOTE=PuzzleMeThis;2771648]Lol I think that’s the point. The film is supposed to make you feel lost and frustrated.[/QUOTE] I could accomplish that reading the daily news, but I don’t want that from a movie!

Welcome to MyCE!

‘The Life Aquatic’

I actually bought the DVD of this based on reviews and the fact it had Bill Murray starring in it.

What a mistake that was! :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2771654]I could accomplish that reading the daily news, but I don’t want that from a movie!

Welcome to MyCE![/QUOTE]

Lol fair point. I found [I]Being John Malkovich[/I] to be a total waste of time. It leaves you feeling so void of everything, as well as robbed of your time.

Anyone else ever sat through [I]The Last Airbender[/I]? Talk about disappointing films! [I]The Last Airbender[/I] had every opportunity it needed to become an amazing film, so why did it suck so much? It was based on of such a great story, so it should have had a decent story itself.

Likewise for [I]Terminator: Salvation[/I]. James Cameron laid down an excellent story for the filmmakers to build on, so [I]Salvation[/I] should have been mind-blowing. And yet, it was nothing short of boring. Two whole hours of the most uninteresting story I’ve seen in years. I haven’t even bothered to watch [I]Terminator Genisys[/I], since I already know I’ll be disappointed.:sad:

[B]Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind[/B] (2004)
Despite good reviews, I found it to be extremely boring.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2771672]Anyone else ever sat through [I]The Last Airbender[/I]?

Likewise for [I]Terminator: Salvation[/I]. [/QUOTE] The Last Airbender was alright but didn’t live up to what it might have been. I quite liked Terminator Salvation.

This goes to show just how much is down to personal taste!

[QUOTE=Wombler;2771655]‘The Life Aquatic’

I actually bought the DVD of this based on reviews and the fact it had Bill Murray starring in it.

What a mistake that was! :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE] In the age of the internet and all these things we have at our disposal, you actually bought a movie ? :doh:

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2771672]Likewise for [I]Terminator: Salvation[/I]. James Cameron laid down an excellent story for the filmmakers to build on, so [I]Salvation[/I] should have been mind-blowing. And yet, it was nothing short of boring. Two whole hours of the most uninteresting story I’ve seen in years.[B] I haven’t even bothered to watch [I]Terminator Genisys[/I], since I already know I’ll be disappointed.:sad:[/B][/QUOTE]

You should give a try. I found it to be quite good and more in line with the second and third movies for the type of entertainment it delivers. Basically, it has much more levity than the first and forth movies.

This goes to show just how much is down to personal taste!

This thread sure proves that you are right on the money, so far.

[QUOTE=pepst;2771675][B]Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind[/B] (2004)
Despite good reviews, I found it to be extremely boring.[/QUOTE]

Really? I found it quite good actually. Kind of sad and beautiful.

Artificial Intelligence: AI

One of the mecha-producing companies builds David, an artificial kid which is the first to have real feelings, especially a never-ending love for his “mother”, Monica. Monica is the woman who adopted him as a substitute for her real son, who remains in cryo-stasis, stricken by an incurable disease. David is living happily with Monica and her husband, but when their real son returns home after a cure is discovered, his life changes dramatically

I do get the references and the emotional rollercoaster i was supposed to be sitting in, but i hated it. I wasn’t prepared for that when i first started watching this movie. Never understoond why something else just couldn’t switch him off or something. Maybe because it succesfully passed the uncanny valley.

I also understand that a lot of people absolutely love it, but i don’t. Not at that moment. Maybe because in my perspective my machines have to do my bidding, otherwise be repurposed :slight_smile:

I guess I will never understand why The Grand Budapest Hotel has an 8.1 IMDB rating and was even awarded 4 Oscars.

My wife and one colleague at work fully share this view.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2771680]In the age of the internet and all these things we have at our disposal, you actually bought a movie ? :doh:[/QUOTE]

That’s quite a few years ago Alan.

The only ones I buy now are films that I know I’ll watch over and over again and it would have to be on Blu-ray.

The last one I bought was “12 Years a Slave” so even that doesn’t happen very often. :bigsmile:

I watch most of my films on demand via satellite.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Liggy;2772303]I guess I will never understand why The Grand Budapest Hotel has an 8.1 IMDB rating and was even awarded 4 Oscars.

My wife and one colleague at work fully share this view.[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t include this one as an example. I was so bored/disgusted with this mess of a movie I quit less than half way through. Beasts of the Southern Wild was even worse.