What media does 411s like without fail?

vbimport

Please post the media that 411s will burn to without making coasters. I see that allot of people post which media the drive doesn't like but which media is virtually fail safe? Also I need a good site that sells the media. Prefferably a site that is not in Canada. I am tired of the hit and miss tactics of buying expensive media.

Cheers, much appreciated

I have been buring with verbatim 2.4X DVD+R and Verbatim 4X DVD+R and have never had a bad burn.

Ritek G4s. They are -R and work wonderfully for me.

How many have you burned and where do you buy them?

I have burned 50 Verbatim 2.4X DVD+R’s and 21 verbatim 4X DVD+R’s

I but mine at sam’s club

50 spinde of 2.4X DVD+r 59.95
30 pack 4X DVD+R 46.95

they also have 50 packs of DVD-R 2.4X
and 30 pack 4X DVD-R but I have not tried them even though they are a bit cheaper.

• DVD identifier says the verbatim disks are riteks.

I have had no troubles with the following +R: Verbatim DatalifePlus 4x, TDK 4x and Immation DVD+R 4x. The only -R Media I can successfully write and read in my stand alone player are Immation DVD-R 2x.

I should add, that I only burn at 2x, because my stand alone player doesn’t seem like disks written in 4x

Actually, the Verbatim 4X DVD+R at Sam’s are RicohJPN R01-02. They burn flawlessly at 4x, and at 8X on my 401S@411S@811S.

The Verbatim 2.4X DVD-R are Ritek G03, also very consistent and reliable.

I’ve gone through about 50 of each, and the only coasters were due to my own stupidity.

The price isn’t bad considering the quality.

Thanks guys. I am a member of Sam’s.

Originally posted by damista
[B]I have had no troubles with the following +R: Verbatim DatalifePlus 4x, TDK 4x and Immation DVD+R 4x. The only -R Media I can successfully write and read in my stand alone player are Immation DVD-R 2x.

I should add, that I only burn at 2x, because my stand alone player doesn’t seem like disks written in 4x [/B]

‘‘I should add, that I only burn at 2x, because my stand alone player doesn’t seem like disks written in 4x’’

Seems to me that you have problem :confused:

I have 4 of those units and all produces coasters on DVD-R, but works great on DVD+R / RW… Returned all units and waiting for a solution :bow:

I’ll second the Ritek G04’s I’ve burn’t about 20 and all have been successful. Make sure to use FS0F with them as that is the firmware that seems to work best with them. You can get them from PCClub for $20 for a 25 pack if you are lucky enough to have a PCClub in you area. You can get it fron their website but shipping is rather expensive at $11. I’ve also heard of people buying them from newegg for $60 for 50.

Shawn

This looks like a good place to buy

Meritline is OK for Ritek. But if you compare apples to apples on the Verbatim, you’ll find Sam’s is cheaper.

Spindle of 30 Verbatim Datalife 4X DVD+R (These are RicohJPN R01-02, top quality and capable of 8X burns.)

Sam’s $47 + tax

Meritline $52.50 + shipping

I have only burned three dvds thus far.

FSOF for all three burns

+R and +RW included with the burner: plays on my stand alone, kprobe results great. (I’m at work, so don’t have results in front of me)

Ritek G-04 (-R): Works for the first 3/4 of the movie, then hangs/sticks on my stand alone DVD. This is where kprobe shows the errors increasing dramatically.

From my reading here, increasing error rate at the end of the burn is supposedly the result of inferior media. Very distressing, as I bought 50 of these from meritline!

I have now updated to FSOH, and will try another burn tonight.

I use DVDXCOPY Xpress.

The new firmware will help with -R burns, but my advice is to dump DVD Xcopy.

DVD Shrink is freeware that will remove copy protection and compress a dual-layer DVD to a single-layer blank, or re-author for a movie-only disc with little or not compression and maximum video quality.

You can burn the resulting files with RecordNow Max that came with your LiteOn.

The result will be much more reliable and scans should improve.

Check the DVD Shrink guides and find the download at www.dvdrhelp.com

I’ll give it a shot.

Here is the link I use mostly to find media:

http://dealmac.com/sections/supplies.html

I am in the US.

I got my G4s from Supermediastore. And I got some from esbuy.com.
Both batches work wonderfully (PI=6.7, PO=.002)

Those are -R media that is supposed to be more compatible with older standalones. However, I bought all that just before the bitsetting utility came out for the 411s to allow +R media to be changed to dvd-rom type. So I hear that +r media bitset to dvd-rom is more compatible than -R, but I have not actual experience with it.

Oh yeah… Stay away from the “supposed” mitsubishi discs that esbuy.com sells. They are MID VDSAP and they absolutely SUCK! They are certainly not OEM Mitsubishi as esbuy.com claims them to be. (I would rather have CMC Magnetics… :slight_smile: )

I use only -R discs in my 411 and found that the firmware FS0F will burn any disc with ritek g04 dye or the other type i use and prefer is verbatim datalifeplus which use the mcc dye. I did update the firmware to both fsog and then fsoh and BOTH gave AWFUL and near-unreadable discs so i returned to FS0F and all is good with excellant burns again.

The best peice of advice is to use FS0F if u are burning -R discs or you will waste money on coaster making.

spacedkadet.

Originally posted by brackishdude
[B]I have only burned three dvds thus far.

FSOF for all three burns

+R and +RW included with the burner: plays on my stand alone, kprobe results great. (I’m at work, so don’t have results in front of me)

Ritek G-04 (-R): Works for the first 3/4 of the movie, then hangs/sticks. This is where kprobe shows the errors increasing dramatically.

From my reading here, increasing error rate at the end of the burn is supposedly the result of inferior media. Very distressing, as I bought 50 of these from meritline!

I have now updated to FSOH, and will try another burn tonight.

I use DVDXCOPY Xpress. [/B]

I use FSOH (been reluctant to mod my drive, even though I have the right…tools)…And I use either CompUSA brand or Memorex (not sure who actually makes them!) and they work fine for me

Not a coaster yet (and this has been about 40 Memorex and about 30 CompUSA)…These are +R’s…

Dan

all with FS0F

Brand Type Speed packing (manuf.) Bruned@ Success

Bundeld +R 1-4x Paperl. (RICOH) @4x Yes
Bundeld +RW 1-4x Paperl. (RICOH) @4x Yes
Verbatim +R 1-4X JewelC. (MCC) @4x Yes
Philips +R 1-4x JewelC. (RICOH) @4x Yes
TDK -R 1-4x JewelC. (TY) @4x Yes
TDK +R 1-4X JewelC. (RICOH) @4x Yes
TDK +RW 1-4x JewelC. (??) @4x Yes
Fuji +RW 1-4x JewelC. (RICOH) @4x Yes

All Played in my Cyberhome AD-M512

Ralf

FSOF seems to be the sweetspot for firmware burning both + and - ok

for media it has taken EVERYTHING with the exception of 1x princos

i buy the cheapest i can find so here we go:

-R
2x tdk - 5.99 for 25pk AR officemax badged as khypermedia
4x cmc - 19.99 and 5.99 25pks AR officemax again khypermedia (neither had any speed markings on the package)
2x ritek g03 from a friend
4x ritek g04 from a friend
+r
2.4 cmc 10 pk free AR officemax khyper again
2.4 cmc 9.99 25 pk AR OM branded as HP (suprise)
+rw
2.4x infodisc badged as memorex

i have 75 -r CMC and 60 +r and 25 +rw that will all burn fine on the 411.

my 1x princos will now burn in my 811s after the latest firmware. they were 5.99 for a 50 pk AR officemax
i am waiting for this weeks officemax ad to see what i will buy next :bigsmile: