What max. speed DVD burner for ide case with Firewire output

vbimport

Hi,
I would like to select the fastest DVD burner possible for installing in a external case. The external case has a Firewire output and that is what I will be using to connect to my laptop.

The desired goal is to burn DVDs on-the-fly from reading off the laptop internal DVDROM drive to burn onto the Firewire attached external case burner.

The problem is the ext case is IDE interface, but I believe it can support PIO4. I can find out for sure, but I just need to understand if what “major factors” I will need to consider when going this route.

The laptop I have is a Pentium M (is this P3 equiv?) 1.7Ghz with Firewire output.

Thanks for the advice.

If you plan on using your Laptop drive for on-the-fly reading, you will even have problems at 8x burning speed.

Your Laptop drive: 8x CAV
A new burner: 8x CLV, which is faster than CAV

[QUOTE=Womi;2048086]If you plan on using your Laptop drive for on-the-fly reading, you will even have problems at 8x burning speed.

Your Laptop drive: 8x CAV
A new burner: 8x CLV, which is faster than CAV[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads-up.

In that case, I will just use the ext case (w/ DVD burner) to do both the read and write.

That means I would like to get the fastest DVD burner (22x? 20x?) that I can use inside the ext case. I read on another thread that someone could only use a 16x in a IEEE1394 case. (not sure a or b). In my case, I have yet to know if mine is a a or b.

Pls advise me what I need to check for and what DVD burner would you recommend?

Hi, Just updating this thread by providing the chips visible on the board inside this external case that I currently have.

Can anyone technical help to determine if my chipsets are decent enough?

The silk screen on the board is: INI-QTS510

On the side where there is the external USB 2 and IEEE1394 external connectors, there are 2 ASICs:

1. NEC D72852GB
  2. In-system ISD300A1

On the side of the board that has the IDE connector, there are 2 ASICs:

1. INITIO INIC-1430L
  2. SST 39VF512

Is this a decent controller board?

My apologies, I don’t know how to edit the 1st post to add the controller info.

Initio (Firewire/1394) and Cypress (USB2) chipsets. Truthfully, they’re not considered to be as good for DVD burners, but they’re awesome for hard drives. If you don’t burn any faster than 8x, you should be OK. Definitely don’t use them for a 20x burner.

Hi,quote=negritude;2054533 Cypress (USB2) chipsets. Truthfully, they’re not considered to be as good for DVD burners,[/quote]Liteon is using Cypress AT2 chipset for their retail external units.
I was able to get full speed (16x) with my Liteon SHW-165P6S in a AT2 based enclosure.
With other drives I tested (Philips 1660P1, Samsung 182D), 12x is fine. The only drives, that don’t like the AT2, is my Pioneer 112 and LG4163 (but this hates being installed externally in general).

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2070714]Hi,Liteon is using Cypress AT2 chipset for their retail external units.
I was able to get full speed (16x) with my Liteon SHW-165P6S in a AT2 based enclosure.
With other drives I tested (Philips 1660P1, Samsung 182D), 12x is fine. The only drives, that don’t like the AT2, is my Pioneer 112 and LG4163 (but this hates being installed externally in general).

Michael[/QUOTE]

Is AT2 chipset USB or IEEE1394a?

Anyways, as an update to my current ext encl setup, my LiteOn drive is registering 28MB/s peak burst TRT based on CDSpeed readings.

When I use DVDFab to do a backup of an entire DVD, it usually takes 25-30mins to get the ISO image. Then, it takes 5 mins to burn to a DVD-R.

Does that sound normal?

Hi,[quote=me4tux;2072189]Is AT2 chipset USB or IEEE1394a? [/quote]USB.

When I use DVDFab to do a backup of an entire DVD, it usually takes 25-30mins to get the ISO image. Then, it takes 5 mins to burn to a DVD-R.

Does that sound normal?
Reading might be slower, since there is also some decoding involved.
5 minutes burn speed is fast. I assume, you have set the burn speed to 20x.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2072301]Reading might be slower, since there is also some decoding involved.
5 minutes burn speed is fast. I assume, you have set the burn speed to 20x.[/QUOTE]

The burn speed was set at 16x. The media was 16x. The tests were posted on the LiteOn thread here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-dh20a4p-h-fast-burn-enhanced-overspeed-enhanced-oht-firmware-new-231875/index32.html#post2062310

Anyways, I was surprised to get good results considering I took the risk to go “external enclosure with IDE burner/IEEE1394a output” implementation. I didn’t have a SATA option and buying a SATA pcmcia card was extra cost.

I simply took out my old IDE hdd from the enclosure and stuck in the LiteOn and ran with it.