What makes some drives better at scanning discs?

I’ve been comtemplating purchasing two drives. They both support reporting of C1/C2 errors, but the reviews and opinions say they are not accurate at scanning. On what basis?

What makes one drive better at scanning? If you burn a disc on Drive A, yet scan it on Drive B, that doesn’t make sense to me. Why not just scan it on the same drive that you burned it?

Are some drives hiding errors from users or not reporting them to the burning software?

Such a simple question to ask, yet so hard to answer.

There are ongoing discussions about this in the following forum:

[B]Media Testing/Identifying Software[/B] (especially the sticky threads)

For CD scanning I also suggest reading this thread:

[B][thread=198075]a drive for scanning CDs[/thread][/B]

[QUOTE=tak1610;1920810]…Are some drives hiding errors from users or not reporting them to the burning software?[/QUOTE]DrageMester already answered with links aso about basics.:bigsmile:

[I]Adding.[/I] No drive can “hide” errors, they (drives) are just not all that good readers or say interpreters and not that able to correct errors by them selves.

And most important of all, “reading”/scanning ability of drive/burner has nothing to do with burning software used

Finally, there isn’t any 100% accurate scanning drive to be found because all drives are different, even those laboratory one.