What kind of power supply does a XFX GeForce GTX 275 need?

Hey there guys,

As you can see im new to this forum and have proposed a question to all you clever peoplez.

What kind of power supply does a XFX GeForce GTX 275 need?

Case - Antec 900 Nine Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case

CPU - AMD Phenom II x 3 tri core 720 Black Edition 2.80 GHz

CPU Cooler - Coolermaster V8 Performance

Memory - Corsair XMS3 DHX 4GB (2x2GB) 1600C9DHX TwinX Dual Channel

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB SATA II

If you need me to name any more specs then ask :slight_smile:

All the advice would be helpfull, including some upgrade advice on better cards for the same price? :open_mouth:

Cheers :slight_smile:

I would say above 750 watts at least. I have a Antec 750 running my 260 core 216 and it runs very good. So for PS get a good brand name PS cause the money you spend means quality your getting plus warranty as well. Are you going to run SLI or just single card also makes a difference you PS size. But I would say check Newegg site about that card and they should at least give minmum PS rating…and go one from that…mine said at least 650 watts but I choose 750 watts. I would say if your not running SLI a 750 Watts similiar to my antec 750 from Newegg should suffix for your needs remember that 750 watts is a heavy PS. I should know I installed it. I know there are higher wattage PS but unless your a hard core gamer and from the GPU your have you might be go 800 watts or so but remember the bigger the PS and name brand your paying big money for them. So don’t skimp out on the PS that is the life blood of your system fry it and it will fry your system.

I’d say around 500W and Corsair seems to agree :slight_smile:
http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx
Corsair HX 520W is a very nice PSU and if you want a cheaper PSU have a look at this model: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=110
//Danne

Cheers for the helps lads.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2303592]I’d say around 500W and Corsair seems to agree :slight_smile:
http://www.corsair.com/psufinder/default.aspx
Corsair HX 520W is a very nice PSU and if you want a cheaper PSU have a look at this model: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=110
//Danne[/QUOTE]

That is way to low of PS even for a GPU 275 it will pull to much you need to check the 12V rails and see what they supply … mine has 4 12V rails at 25 amp…plenty for future expansion. That is what you need to factor in the PS usually isn’t the part you replace but the one critical part if you decide to go bigger HDD or GPU or CPU and or Motherboard. My Antec 750 cost but the price it worth the safety factor and any future expansion. For me 500 watt is way to low and it won’t come with alot of connector or for future expansion. One thing is to make sure it is SLI or Crossfire…even if you don’t use it it means you can use it in another expansion when you need to. This is the PS I got and the specs more then satisfy my needs and possible future needs…

I found a part matching yours and it does say 550 Watts but you have other hardware using the PS as well so you will be straining that 500 Watts PS if it of higher quality not much problem but then again your limiting your future expansion with that 500 watts.

It’s well known that ATI and Nvidia greatly exaggerate how much power is needed to power their GPU cards. It’s borderline ridiculous the claims they make for power requirements.

750 watts is overkill, even if he wanted to SLI two 275’s.

I do agree with you [B][I]coolcolors[/I][/B] that having more power is better than not having enough. Maybe it’s old school thinking, but having power in reserve makes for a happier power supply, in my estimation anyway.

Here’s a link to a review showing the power draw for a full system using various ‘power hungry’ cards, including the GTX 275.

@ coolcolors
No, it’s not… you’re just pulling something you “think” right now…
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2304147]@ coolcolors
No, it’s not… you’re just pulling something you “think” right now…
//Danne[/QUOTE]

HUH??? so then you would buy a junker of a car then rather get a better quality car right if that is how the thinking goes???

[QUOTE=brokenbuga;2304091]It’s well known that ATI and Nvidia greatly exaggerate how much power is needed to power their GPU cards. It’s borderline ridiculous the claims they make for power requirements.

750 watts is overkill, even if he wanted to SLI two 275’s.

I do agree with you [B][I]coolcolors[/I][/B] that having more power is better than not having enough. Maybe it’s old school thinking, but having power in reserve makes for a happier power supply, in my estimation anyway.

Here’s a link to a review showing the power draw for a full system using various ‘power hungry’ cards, including the GTX 275.[/QUOTE]

Having enough isn’t a bad thing with a quality PS. But I also as told to the OP taking into account all the other hardwares they will have tapping into that PS as well besides the GPU when it is running. Also the larger PS will help keep the drain down on the computer startup which most likely is the most stress on the PS. Having more power isn’t old school it’s thinking about lifespan of the PS as most people don’t replace the PS as often as they would a motherboard and it’s hardware components. Too little of PS will strain the PS components and shorten its lifespan and with a more efficent PS will make sure that it will last long to come.

The 520HX will have absolutley no trouble powering the GTX275. HERE is a review where they had a power hungry Core i7 cpu and gtx 275 using ~300W at full load, the OP’s PC will use considerably less power.

Sorry [I]coolcolors[/I] but on this one I’ve to agree with [I]DiiZzy[/I] and [I]eric93se[/I]. :flower:

With a high-end gaming box you’ll have hard time to even overload one 12V 25Amps rail, less four 25Amps 12V rails…
Remember Ohm’s law; P=U x I. [[I]Edit[/I], to explain: watts = voltage x amps]

BTW, anything above 600W is just a marketing thingy. :smiley:
Less 1kW, noone ever needs it!

Recent review about power consumption on PC.

pinto2 unfortunately this is for the OP to decide not the responders. Here something from the link you have for quote

“It is still unclear who needs those 1000W power supplies because a 750W unit is quite enough even for this very top-end configuration.”

So your agreement doesn’t match up.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2304677]…“It is still unclear who needs those 1000W power supplies because a 750W unit is quite enough even for this very top-end configuration.”…[/QUOTE]

… A 1000W PSU is two times the required wattage, which is obviously redundant.
You missed the last line (now added by me) in your quote. :smiley:
Note also, this statement is posted for dual chip card, ie GTX 295.

My arguments are technically based, not guessings… :cool:
Anyway, IIRC nVidia recommends min. 550W PSU for high-end systems with GTX 275 card.