What is your philosophy?

vbimport

Textbooks told me philosphy is literally love of wisdom and here is the result from dictionary.com.

phi·los·o·phy ( P ) Pronunciation Key (f-ls-f)
n. pl. phi·los·o·phies
Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry: the philosophy of Hume.
The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
The disciplines presented in university curriculums of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.
The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.
A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory: an original philosophy of advertising.
A system of values by which one lives: has an unusual philosophy of life.

[Middle English philosophie, from Old French, from Latin philosophia, from Greek philosophi, from philosophos, lover of wisdom, philosopher. See philosopher.]

[Download or Buy Now]
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

philosophy

n 1: a belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school [syn: doctrine, philosophical system, school of thought, ism] 2: the rational investigation of questions about existence and knowledge and ethics 3: any personal belief about how to live or how to deal with a situation; “self-indulgence was his only philosophy”; “my father’s philosophy of child-rearing was to let mother do it”

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

philosophy

See computer ethics, liar paradox, netiquette, proof.

Source: The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2004 Denis Howe

philosophy

philosophy: in CancerWEB’s On-line Medical Dictionary

Source: On-line Medical Dictionary, © 1997-98 Academic Medical Publishing & CancerWEB

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=philosophy

What is your philosophy?

life is a bitch and then you die… :wink:

When you’re hungry, eat.
When you’re tired, sleep.
When you’re bored, music.

Jokes are fine and welcome but also post your own philosophies. :slight_smile:

One of the definition is A system of values by which one lives. Everyone should have at least a little more sophisticated value system. Otherwise, you would have been overwhelmed with the vast amount of external inputs evident in all sophisticated human systems.

To state my own very short, I’m living to make the lives of my daughter and wife safe and growing. Very few interactions with the rest of the humanity except on CDFreaks.com boards so there’s little to tell about my philosphy. Though I once had many other values, that must have been in another life.

Philosophy I think is largely the product of technological progress.

Okay… but that will take me a while… must get back on that later then…

I don’t really think I have any values. There’s family, but inside I don’t really care… well it feels like that anyway. And friends… I steer clear of that department. Sure, I have friends, but I just don’t have any “real” friends to talk to.

So I would say I’m pretty wreckless, and in some ways I could be called suicidal. So I don’t really follow any “religion” or “principals”. Any principals that I follow would just be guys stuff. Like don’t jump into a fight straight away, and all that. Or don’t piss off girls :wink:

philosophies/motto’s/quotes i try/tend to live by:

They may all sound very negative but i will explain them :slight_smile:

“Friends and lovers may come and go, but in the end you will always be alone”
-> If you realize that, life is very comforting and loneliness does not exist except when you want it.
Source: a comic book

“There is no one more important in the entire universe than me”
-> From my point of view, the world is there for me. Not for you, not for “them”, me.
Source: my own thoughts

“I’m easygoing, but if you make life difficult for me, i will make it even more difficult for you”
-> I will try to adapt and recognize your motivations, but if you don’t recognize mine, you better be ready for a living hell you fucking hypocrit.
Source: my own thoughts

“Do not expect anything (support) from anyone, ever. Especially governments and big companies”
-> Explains itself. If luck strikes, you’re always happy.
Source : my own thoughts and experiences

“There are only two things you must do. Pay taxes and die”.
-> Nothing is necessary, even if important looking people tell you it is. You make your life, no one else does.
Source: Some adventure

“Shit happens”
-> Do not expect everything going smooth constantly, but do not whine about it for ever when the shit hits the fan. Pick yourself up and go on.
Source: The big poster in my living room :slight_smile:

They don’t sound negative (at least not to me), I conscious or unconscious live according the same philosopies … and some others, but I’m not good in phrasing it in English.

But I don’t agree with: “There are only two things you must do. Pay taxes and die”.

You don’t have to pay taxes. :rolleyes:

I’m pretty sure Taxman will explain to you what happens if you don’t :slight_smile:

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Order out of chaos, that’s a life challenge. As long as you are living with other humans, you are also living according to some value systems. The difference is just the level of complexity. Some cultures consciously express the rules. Some other cultures, like that of South Korea, suppresses almost any kind of systematic and explicit explanation of those rules that all people in it should follow. Even for a 7-year-old student, there must be some rules, principles, morals, etc. Some people are better at expressing their own philosophies than others but that does not necessarily mean they are more sophisticated or having more complex lives.

(Whistling Monty Python songs)“Life´s a piece of shit,when you look at it…”

Help as much as you can and in the future,it will pay back ten fold(hopefully).

“Nothing’s sure in life, except death and taxes.”-- Benjamin Franklin

My philosophy is based on the following things:

[ul]
[li]A day without a smile/laugh is a day not lived.
[/li][li]What you don’t want others to do to you, don’t do that to others.
[/li][li]You give is what you get
[/li][/ul]
I try to be open and honest at all times, without hurting people’s feelings. This is often hard, because in groups we as human beings often turn into something we try so hard not to be (some more than others)…

There are only few people that do not pay any taxes at all…usually babies that die before they had the chance to do anything… Remember, the first time you buy something you pay VAT…that is tax too…

I’m another person without strict philosophies in life. Actually I do think quite a lot about them, but they aren’t clear enough to live by. Being happy is the most important thing to me. Achieving happiness is hard though, but it’s worth fighting for.

I guess I could call my philosophy something like: “be a good person to yourself and everybody in the world that respects you”. But that’s just a guess…

Speak and treat others as you would like to be spoken to and treated yourself.
You are measured by what you say and do every moment of your life not just on sundays or special occasions.
There is some good in every bad person and some bad in every good person.
A little of what you fancy does you good but remember everything in moderation. (one of my great grandmothers sayings. )

for me…

i play as hard as possible today…and not worry about tomorrow as we do not know what tomorrow may bring

Nihilism basically. I do have my own morals but don’t have much respect for the law or authority. I also think self-improvement is a good thing and I can’t abide ignorance.

Socrates urged upon his fellow Athenians and, in effect, upon us all, when he said that the unexamined life is not worth living.

My philosophy. The decision about examining philosophy is between: 1) to make your philosophy explicit, or 2) to be a slave to the subconscious notions, principles, and other people’s philosophies picked up throughout life. To ignore the topic of philosophy is to be doomed to the second choice.With that being stated here is the system of my beliefs.
Metaphysics: Reality is absolute. It has a specific nature independent of our thoughts or feelings. The world around us is real. It has a specific nature and it must be consistent to that nature. A proper metaphysical worldview must aim to understand reality correctly.
The physical world exists, and every entity has a specific nature. It acts according to that nature. When different entities interact, they do so according to the nature of both. Every action has a cause and an effect. Causality is the means by which change occurs, but the change occurs via a specific nature.

Epistemology: Our senses are valid, and the only way to gain information about the world. Reason is our method of gaining knowledge, and acquiring understanding. Logic is our method of maintaining consistency within our set of knowledge. Objectivity is our means of associating knowledge with reality to determine its validity. Concepts are abstracts of specific details of reality, or of other abstractions.
Ethics: A proper foundation of ethics requires a standard of value to which all goals and actions can be compared to. This standard is our own lives, and the happiness which makes them livable. This is our ultimate standard of value, the goal in which an ethical man must always aim. It is arrived at by an examination of man’s nature, and recognizing his peculiar needs. A system of ethics must further consist of not only emergency situations, but the day to day choices we make constantly. It must include our relations to others, and recognize their importance not only to our physical survival, but to our well-being and happiness. It must recognize that our lives are an end in themselves, and that sacrifice is not only not necessary, but destructive.

Politics Reason is man’s prime means of survival. A human being can not survive in an environment where reason is ineffective, and will thrive or starve to a degree in proportion to the effectiveness of reason. This means that the prime goal of a political system must be the preservation and enabling of the faculty of reason.
Reason does not function under coercion. A man can be forced to act at the point of a gun, but he can not be forced to think. Likewise, in an environment where might makes right, reason can not function because the fruits of rationality can not be enjoyed. Why plant crops and domesticate animals if any raider can come by and take them from you?
A moral political system must ban coercion. Or put another way, a moral political system must ban the initiation of force, since retaliatory force is both just and necessary. This means there must be some way to keep one person from killing, threatening, or robbing another. This is accomplished by bestowing on government a monopoly on retaliatory force and objectifying laws.

Esthetics:Art is a selective recreation of reality. It’s purpose is to concretize an abstraction to bring an idea or emotion within the grasp of the observer. It is a selective recreation, with the selection process depending on the value judgments of the creator. These value judgments can be observed and evaluated via the field of ethics.

@ the Dr.

How much do you charge per hour?