What is your job/ambition and what do you do now?

Purely out of curiosity, what do you guys work or plan to work as?

For those still in college/university:
(Excepting graduate students, e.g. doing a PhD)

[ul]
[li]What are you studying as?
[/li][li]What are you planning on working as when you graduate?
[/li][li]Are you happy with your course?
[/li][/ul]

For those already working:

[ul]
[li]What are you working as?
[/li][li]Are you planning on changing your job anytime soon?
[/li][li]Are you happy with your course?
[/li][/ul]

I guess I will start the ball rolling by saying that I’m an Aero Engineer (hence my apparent :confused: when it comes to anything electronic/computers/software - although I am working on it). I am planning on a career change - a rather drastic one at that. A 9-5 job doing the same dreary thing everyday is kind of boring. So I decided to sign up for the Armed Forces, officer corps. I’ll probably be an engineer again when I’m 30-40 :Z Hopefully any transferable skills which I get from the Armed Forces like command & management skills will help my CV > those that have been in the civvie field for the entire duration when I was busy dodging bullets :).

For those still in college/university:

[ul]
[li]What are you studying as? -> HIO, technical software engineer (embedded software)
[/li][li]What are you planning on working as when you graduate? -> Designing and creating lowlevel software
[/li][li]Are you happy with your course? -> Hmmm this is not my ultimate dream, but I really like it, so a yes there…
[/li][/ul]

[ul]
[li]What are you working as? -> I’m working right now to finish my current education
[/li][li]Are you planning on changing your job anytime soon? -> Maybe… maybe I can stay here, who knows?
[/li][li]Are you happy with your course? -> Very happy, I like this place a lot!
[/li][/ul]

Guess I answered your question ;).
What I want to add: as soon as I finish my study (I’ll be a bachelor then) I want to keep on stuying to earn a master title. Soudns better, doesn it? :slight_smile:

[ul]
[li]What are you working as?
[/li]> [li]Are you planning on changing your job anytime soon?
[/li]> [li]Are you happy with your course?
[/li]> [/ul]

Approbation Engineer at Medical IT
Nope
Kinda , could use more money so i can buy a house more easily

currently unemployed, still in school. Want to do something with computers, like repairing, programming, etc.

Working to get A+ certification.

Studying history, like it a lot. I’d like to become a journalist, but we’ll see :slight_smile:

Currently a student. Applying to colleges. Work in a movie theater. Pro’s: See most movies Cons: I have to clean up after people. :frowning:

Originally posted by Devils Advocate
[B]For those still in college/university:
(Excepting graduate students, e.g. doing a PhD)

[ul]
[li]What are you studying as?
[/li]> [li]What are you planning on working as when you graduate?
[/li]> [li]Are you happy with your course?
[/li]> [/ul]
[/B]

1.electrical engineering
2.not sure, may double with comp science
3.happy except when they tell me that they’ve dropped prereq’s, and haven’t

on a side note, a friend of mine went air force, and then aero engineering for the govt. he got so bored with that sh*t that he ended up starting a business with the huge inflatable play structures for children. is it something about aero :wink:

I was a MCSE, A+, and CCNA certified network engineer/computer tech but I got fed up with fixing other people’s problems so I have gotten back to my first love which is playing guitar. The money isn’t as good, but I am much happier and I make WAY more people happy with my playing than I did when I was playing with their dirty machines. (Sorry if I sound bitter)

He,

I am a chemical proces operator, i produce chemicals for use in the oil and paint industry, and i also produce soap & champoo base chemicals so that at another plant soap and shampoo can be produced. I’m going to change my job in about a month and i’m going to work in a garbage incineration plant. I like to burn CD’s :slight_smile: and now i’m going to burn garbage in a plant that is the state of the art in technology.

Grtz

Currently working as a System Support Analyst looking after
IBM Z series Mainframe which is split into 6 LPARS.
No plans to leave at this present time.
Quite happy at the moment, but would like to find time to INDEX
all of my VINYL collection and assemble them in some kind of order.

Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told.

My Job title is “Retained Organs Caseworker”

I work in a hospital in the UK dealing with enquiries about organs and tissues taken from people at post mortem examinations. Some of our enquiries go back to the 1950s. The hospital where I work has large pathology collections. Dealing with the enquiries draws in lots of other “bereavement issues” (yuk jargon).
I plan to leave in the Autumn because by then I will have done it 1 1/2 years and I’m sick of dealing with DEATH all day long.

Some of y’others have interesting jobs. I remember when I was a kid I thought “How can anyone say they like their job because if they could choose between going to work and staying at home surely they would always prefer to be free?” - I think this is still true but part of “growing up” is getting used to the idea of having to be a cog.