What is your Internet connection speed?

vbimport

[QUOTE=Seán;2769643]If it was not for line-of-sight, I probably could ask someone within the zone if I could set up a point-to-point wireless link such as using a pair of Ubiquiti PowerBeam’s and offer to pay for their broadband in return favour.

Eir’s advertising blurb is getting a bit carried away:

… and further down the page …

Come on Eir, first you say I can get everything in milliseconds and then you say it takes 7 seconds to download a HD movie!? Let’s see about that… ;)[/QUOTE]

Their grammar isn’t up to much either but I’d forgive them that for those sorts of speeds. :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

For now I’ll see how I get on with the LTE - The set-up reminds me of the days of analogue satellite TV where the customer can choose their equipment, unlike Sky digital with their proprietary locked down set-top box.

At the moment I have a high gain panel antenna set up in the loft aimed out a window and a basic LTE dongle. I’ve ordered a Huawei B593s-22 which should give a better overall connection, especially with the Wi-Fi coverage as the dongle’s coverage only reaches the surrounding rooms and does not have a LAN port to plug a better Wi-Fi access point into either.

I also have a small collection of other antennas I tried which I plan putting back on eBay for the next tinkerer to try… :slight_smile:

If the LTE connection maintains a stable connection of around 15Mbps down and 4Mbps up, I’ll be delighted with that as there’s little I do online that needs more than that. For example, the largest files I typically work on when working from home are around 50MB. On DSL, each file took roughly 15 to 20 minutes to upload. On a 4Mbps uplink, that time gets reduced to 2 minutes.

Sure a faster connection would be useful for UHD streaming (if I had a 4K monitor), but I’m happy enough being able to stream 1080p, whereas I had to use a downloader to watch anything in 1080p with the DSL connection.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2769654]I keep on telling her to cut the fibre optic cable. It’s within reach of a telescopic pruner and there’s no danger of electrocution.[/QUOTE]

I can just imagine hearing … snip-snip, … snip, … snip-[I]whoops![/I], snip-snip, snip…

… then a few seconds later someone roaring next door about the cable TV going down right in the middle of the football final.

[QUOTE=Seán;2769678]I can just imagine hearing … snip-snip, … snip, … snip-[I]whoops![/I], snip-snip, snip…

… then a few seconds later someone roaring next door about the cable TV going down right in the middle of the football final.[/QUOTE]
[S]Worse[/S] Better than that, it would cut off all the mobile phones in maybe a 20Km+ radius.

Evil chuckle :bigsmile:

We were able to change from a 5MB wireless broadband service to the 15 MB uVerse plan a little over a year ago.

It’s been awesome. I just need to upgrade my wireless router to take full advantage. The built-in AT&T wireless router and my old Linksys aren’t keeping up with the demand for some reason.

Combined, 2 down 2 up:

Mine is always slower than most but its alright.

Finally got out of A T & T
Was :
3.8 Mbps Down
321 Kbps Up

Now: On Comcast

That’s a vast improvement! :iagree:

Yes it is and it was only $20.00 more for it

I recently re-contracted my BT Infinity 1 (FTTC).
Totally unlimited data allowance, and £2 less than I was paying.
Speed increase to 55Mbps down 10Mbps up.
100GB of BT Cloud storage.
And, the rather nice, brand new, BT Smart Hub(HH6).

Sounds Great Dee
I’m loving my new speed

49.95 a month.

That’s a very nice hub :iagree: :smiley:

[QUOTE=bean55;2776908]That’s a very nice hub :iagree: :D[/QUOTE]Yours is not too shabby either bean55.:clap:

My new BT Smart Hub turned out not to be that smart.
It suffered what is becoming common for that hub ‘The Green Light Of Death’, where it fails to initialise after a re-start.

Trying to be ‘green’ I returned my old Home hub to be recycled, so when the new Smart Hub failed, I had no Internet. BT are sending a replacement Smart Hub, but it will take 7 - 10 days. Luckily I have 4G with 3GB of data so that allowed me to do light use Internet.

I decided to do what I should have done when I first got FTTC, and was buy my own VDSL modem router. The ISP provided modem routers are ok I guess, but they are cheaply made.

Anyway, I decided I would get something that would be good quality, and fairly futureproof. I’ve ended up buying the [B]TP Link Archer VR2600[/B], which has the very latest in WiFi, and also comes with an ADSL/VDSL modem. It also has a 1Gbps WAN port, so its also compatible with G.Fast, and FTTP.

The performance of the WiFi is awesome, and I can even stay connected to WiFi about 200 meters away from the house.
The VR2600 also has 4x 1Gbps LAN ports, 2x USB3 ports, which either can be configured as print server, or a media server (the software to run these servers are built into the VR2600). I haven’t tried the print server, as my printer is already shared across the network. But I did connect an HDD to one of the USB3 ports and configured it as a media server. I have to say it performs very well in this configuration.

Last but by no means least. The VDSL modem in the VR2600 must also be of good quality, because my VDSL sync rate has risen from 41Mbps with the BT Smart Hub, to 46Mbps with the VR2600.

The only problem is. It isn’t cheap, but I guess you sometimes get what you pay for.

The only problem is. It isn’t cheap, but I guess you [U]sometimes[/U] get what you pay for.

Sometimes is usually more like More times than not :bigsmile:

Sounds and looks like a good one there, I bought my own router to, instead of taking the one that Comcast wanted to give me.

I finally managed to get fibre optic broadband after years of waiting.

I’m actually really pleased with this result as the quoted maximums are 52Mb/s download and 10Mb/s upload.

[B]Wombler[/B]

^Looks nice! :iagree:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2785650]^Looks nice! :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Yeah it’s nice not to be in the dark ages anymore connection wise although I live in a rural area and we’ve always been the last to get access to the latest technology.

The other good thing is I’ll now also be able to upgrade the speed to a faster package, if I choose to, without having to wait for any network infrastructure hardware changes.

[B]Wombler[/B]