What is your Internet connection speed?

vbimport

Since [B]Netflix[/B] is in Australia ADSL speeds gone crap - national speeds down ~50% and international are down ~75% on average. Cable speeds are not that bad but performance degraded too.

Oh, and I can watch Netflix in HD no problems!

This can vary a bit over the day

Day three of the ten day line training period.
According to a BT diagnostics tool. My copper line from the FTTC street cabinet to the house is 1030.5 metres long.

Here is the speeds I’m getting this morning.

i’m lucky to have high DSL speeds considering living high in the mountains:bow:

This says 85mb/s, but it is cable and no matter how much the cable server says, the server you are downloading from is what determins the speed. At least I think that is how it works. T/F?

Assuming the server is nearby and not overloaded, it should report your actual connection’s throughput. It works by running multiple transfers at the same time to try to saturate the link, similar to using a multi-threaded file manager to download a large file.

It’s reasonably accurate for most DSL and Fibre based connections where the speed is fairly consistent, but can be way off for other types as I’ve recently discovered. For example, if the speed fluctuates (e.g. high contention or wireless as my ISP uses) it appears to report the peak speed achieved during its test.

At the moment, I’m trying out TestMy.net which I’ve recently come across as it can run scheduled tests and measures the average speed (e.g. over a 20MB dummy transfer) rather than the peak. My connection is pretty chaotic as shown by the following graph over a 24 hour period:

Here’s is mine I just updated this past week to Extreme internet and it is way faster then before…

There’s not much to say about this, it’s FTTC I suppose it could be worse.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2753799]
There’s not much to say about this, it’s FTTC I suppose it could be worse.[/QUOTE]It looks like Eclipse is another ISP who caps the upload speed at 2Mbps on their 38Mbps download speed package.
The problem I find is you have to dig very deep into their terms and conditions to find this out.

It’s the reason I decided to spend a bit more on BT Infinity, as they are of the very few who cap the upload speed at 9.5 Mbps on their 38 Mbps package.

[QUOTE=voxsmart;2753799]

There’s not much to say about this, it’s FTTC I suppose it could be worse.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you could be me with no fibre available at all. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Eclipse will provide a faster upload if I need it, but it ain’t cheap.
Eclipse and I am going to part company soon, it’s a bit expensive really and they only seem to want to cater for professional use now.
Wombler, that’s a real bummer not having fibre, I hope you get cabled up soon. :slight_smile:
BT infinity seems a better deal, the only good thing about Eclipse is the landline phone deal, virtually all unrestricted time wise including 0870 and 0845 numbers, but not mobiles, or premium rate numbers. I hoping I can get a similar deal from BT.

Got a free upgrade today from “80/30” to “100/30”:

My broadband plan includes a mix-your-own where I can change my speed between 100/30, 80/50 and 70/60; I just change it myself on the ISP’s webpage and wait a few minutes for the download/upload speed to change.

With “80/50” I measured 91 Mbps download and 58 MBps upload speed (I didn’t create a Speedtest.net image), so I might choose to go for that instead.

^ That’s very neat how they let you adjust the up/downlink on demand. :cool:

My home fixed wireless ISP seems to have improved quite a lot since my earlier reports above. Over the past few days, I’m often getting 30+Mbps during the day. It still falls to around 10Mbps at peak time during the evening, but so far I’ve had little trouble playing 1080p on YouTube during that time which I could never stream at on DSL.

My Workplace is expected to get 40Mb down / 10Mb up VDSL next month. At the moment, it has ADSL2 synced at 17Mb down / 1Mb up.

My workplace finally has VDSL. This is as fast as the line will take until Eircom enable vectoring on exchanged based VDSL connections. They just do vectoring on fibre-enabled cabinets at present.

Until recently, Eircom only provided VDSL from FTTC connected lines, which meant the majority of businesses throughout Ireland located in towns near exchanges could only get ADSL2, while residential areas in the suburbs connected to cabinets could get up to 100Mbps depending on their distance from the cabinet. Eircom is now working on fibre to the premises (1Gbps), but I doubt that will come to this town for several years.

Upgraded from 16/1 to VDSL 100/40.

Works gooooooood.

[QUOTE=chef;2764189]Upgraded from 16/1 to VDSL 100/40.

Works gooooooood.[/QUOTE]

Very nice! :cool:

Now I’ve got connection envy! :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I finally got a speed improvement at my house with 4G/LTE now in my area on the Three network. There’s a few broadband resellers that use their network and I went with a 60GB prepay plan with iD Mobile broadband to use in combination with my DSL connection.

I only get a 2 bar 4G signal (out of 5 bars) on my modem, but still a pretty decent speed over 5Mbps DSL (with a sluggish 512kbps uplink) or that dreadful NWE Bluebox Wimax provider that slowed down to a dial-up modem like crawl coupled with weeks of downtime.

Coincidentally just a few days before finding that 4G is in my area, 1Gbps FTTH (fibre to the home) is coming to my village and the planned deployment maps shows it stops 0.5 mile (about 1km) short of my house. :doh:

Unlike FTTC which fades over its 1 mile / 1.5km range, FTTH is all or nothing, i.e. all the houses up to the edge of the deployment zone will get 1Gbps by the end of the year and the next house next door is limited to legacy ADSL.

[QUOTE=Seán;2769641]1Gbps FTTH (fibre to the home) is coming to my village and the planned deployment maps shows it stops 0.5 mile (about 1km) short of my house. :doh:[/QUOTE] I guess you could sneak out in the middle of the night carrying half-a-mile of fibre cable and connect your house… but that amount of cable would be kind of expensive, not to mention easy to spot unless you also bury it underground which takes a lot of digging. Maybe FTTH piracy is not an attractive solution after all. :smiley:

If it was not for line-of-sight, I probably could ask someone within the zone if I could set up a point-to-point wireless link such as using a pair of Ubiquiti PowerBeam’s and offer to pay for their broadband in return favour.

Eir’s advertising blurb is getting a bit carried away:

… and further down the page …

Come on Eir, first you say I can get everything in milliseconds and then you say it takes 7 seconds to download a HD movie!? Let’s see about that… :wink:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2769642]I guess you could sneak out in the middle of the night carrying half-a-mile of fibre cable and connect your house… but that amount of cable would be kind of expensive, not to mention easy to spot unless you also bury it underground which takes a lot of digging. Maybe FTTH piracy is not an attractive solution after all. :D[/QUOTE]
That thought has been on my mind for a few years. Ever since Telefonica illegally installed a fibre optic cable across my mother’s property in Spain (to replace their other illegal cable installed 20 years ago & damaged by the motorway works traffic). :a

We would have happily given them permission had they bothered to ask, on the same terms that they offered for the electricity cable - free use of what the cable is carrying. But they didn’t contact her at all (apparently typical behaviour for the former state phone monopoly). At least it should make a good perch for the Bee-Eaters, which show signs of possibly colonising the area.

I keep on telling her to cut the fibre optic cable. It’s within reach of a telescopic pruner and there’s no danger of electrocution.

Suppose if you want a job doing properly you have to do it yourself… :iagree::bigsmile: