What is your Internet connection speed?

vbimport

:confused: :eek: :clap: :frowning: :sad::sad::sad::stuck_out_tongue:

This is ‘faster than 87%’ of the US:

[QUOTE=hlse;2679442]Nice idea, but I don’t think my better half would like us very much…:frowning:

I have a 100/10 line and that sets me back 35 Euros/month.
For 65 i can get 1000/100 but I’m ok with what I have now. :D[/QUOTE]

Doh! Well, it was worth a try :smiley:

35 Euros for 100/10, sweet! :iagree:

Poor Jeremy :(…who’re you with and what’s your speed?

Hi,

Here’s my result (not a good day) -

:sad:

For historical reasons I’m with aol but all the infrastructure is BT owned. I do have an ADSL2 connection - yay :smiley:

Outside of our cities our infrastructure is hopeless.

Regds, JR

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2679469]Hi,

Here’s my result (not a good day) -

:sad:

For historical reasons I’m with aol but all the infrastructure is BT owned. I do have an ADSL2 connection - yay :D[/quote]

OK, now you’ve confused me (not difficult LOL) - what you explained is pretty straightforward, but the ISP bit on the test result says Talk Talk?

Outside of our cities our infrastructure is hopeless.

Regds, JR

That’s true :iagree:

Today’s result - look at that ping :sad:

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2679469]Here’s my result (not a good day) -

[/QUOTE]

That’s a pain. :eek: I thought I was the only one here with under 3Mbps.

Here the ISPs use legacy ADSL v1 connections unless they believe the line is capable of 8Mbps. Unlike ADSL2, they fix the speed at what they estimate the line can handle rather than let the modem adapt to the line. For me, it’s 3072 down / 384k up.

On the other hand, it beats having no ADSL, as I know a few neighbours who use satellite Internet or P2P Wi-Fi with a neighbour due to their line being unsuitable for ADSL. There’s no other form of internet here, e.g. not the faintest 3G signal, no Wimax, fixed wireless, cable service, etc.

[QUOTE=Seán;2679485]That’s a pain. :eek: I thought I was the only one here with under 3Mbps.[/QUOTE] I’m really not that much ahead of you:

Which is about 25x slower than [B]hlse[/B] at only twice the price! :doh:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2679480]… but the ISP bit on the test result says Talk Talk?
[/QUOTE]

Oh yes - I didn’t see that. I think Talk Talk acquired aol uk’s customer base a few years back. I stay with the old contract as it has no download limit.

Actually, thinking about it I only have ADSL 1 (my modem is ADSL 2 capable - ready for the next technical revolution :slight_smile: in rural Southern England)

Regds, JR

Guyz, those who have super fast internet, is it truly unlimited or with fup??

African jungle drums are better than most of us as far as internet speed.

Im paying $49 for 12mg with avg 100ms pings.

Maybe someday the us will catch up with the rest of the world.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2679538]Maybe someday the us will catch up with the rest of the world.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that. 35.74 is faster than 87% of the US…

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2679502]Oh yes - I didn’t see that. I think Talk Talk acquired aol uk’s customer base a few years back. I stay with the old contract as it has no download limit.

Actually, thinking about it I only have ADSL 1 (my modem is ADSL 2 capable - ready for the next technical revolution :slight_smile: in rural Southern England)

Regds, JR[/QUOTE]

Ah, now I gotcha, all makes sense now :smiley:

I think my local exchange is ADSL 2 enabled, but according to SamKnows the best I’d get is about 8 megs. Think I’ll stick with my 60+ from Virgin LOL.

Speed tests never give me my full connection speeds but newsgroups do

800mb = Downloaded in 59 seconds at an average of 11.4 MB/s

^ That’s very impressive for Usenet. :iagree:

Most ISPs particularly in the UK heavily throttle Usenet traffic. For example, while visiting my sister in the UK who is on Orange I got ~5KB/s with a quick Usenet test and I think it was ~60KB/s when she was previously with Virgin Media cable. I then turned on SSL and it shot up to 1.3MB/s if I recall right.

10 gb = Downloaded in 9 minutes 15 seconds at an average of 12.5 MB/s

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1865935979.png[/QUOTE]
Yee haw! Double the speed.
Really flyin now :Z

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2683688]Yee haw! Double the speed.
Really flyin now :Z
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2631456228.png[/QUOTE]

Are you sure you can handle that speed without a helmet.

After seeing enough flyers about satellite broadband and the QSAT TV ads claiming you can get broadband anywhere you can see the sky, I always wondered what the actual speed is.

Well, I certainly found out this evening. While out visiting someone, I noticed a rather unusual looking satellite dish on the house. Sure enough they got the service as their phoneline is not DSL capable and there is no mobile signal, never mind 3G, in the area.

When I went to run the SpeedTest, Firefox threw up a security warning about Flash, so I let the owner know about this and downloaded the latest version. This download didn’t look promising…

Throughout the download, it fluctuated between 20KB/s and 45KB/s. With Flash updated, this is the QSAT speedtest…

No wonder most satellite broadband providers have a 24-month contract. :eek:

No wonder most satellite broadband providers have a 24-month contract.

Yup. Looks like it takes that long to download the EULA!!! :wink: