What is your favorite PC case?

vbimport

What is your favorite PC case?

I have a Cooler Master HAF 922 I like it not to big but not too small. I am always looking for something better. There is no dust filter on either the P/S intake and side fan! I am always blowing out my PC, the dust can never be removed from the P/S and @ $200 I want it to last a few years.

So what around the size of the HAF 922 should I look at to replace it with?

My favourite case at the moment is the Antec Performance One - P280.

It’s quite large, but not to big.
It’s near silent, has excellent cable management, and air filters for the intake and PSU intake.
The cable management is awesome, and you can have a really neat build.
It also has loads of drive bays, plus 2x USB2 and 2x USB3 front mounted inputs.

Take a look here at my own build with this case.

Mine is the Haf X by cooler master. Lots of space to keep cool and good cable management not to mention looks awesome.

Mine is the Cooler Master HAF 932.

Absolutely the best case I ever owed or built with.
I love it so much I purchased a 912 for my media server and also used one for my son’s new build.
The 912 is now my standard recommendation for budget builds.

my current build with the HAF 922. Would it be better to turn the power supplu over so it’s sucking air from inside the case? Might be a little better for cleaning

I still run a original Cooler Master Stacker full tower with lots of bays:cool: There are a lot of nice mid and full size cases out now but I’m still happy enough with this old dog and everything I stuff in fits and then some, I can even run 2 power supplies that can work together with a special adapter harness that was included with the goodie bag inside the thing.
I probably would have too if the extra 550 watt one I had didn’t have a intermittent power shut off problem I couldn’t track down to try and run my new to me 4870x2 video card. Solved the problem with a single rail 850 instead:bigsmile:

My current case is the ATCS 840. It’s massive! Plenty of room for expansion. At the time (about a year ago) it was my best choice for aesthetic reasons and also limit on cash (cost $200). There were a few very nice cases with great cable management like the one Dee owns, but were out of my price range.

My main issue with this case is it’s somewhat out of date. Certain issues arose that I decided I could live with. I wish I could name them, but I forgot :p. Once I do my research I forget all the information I took in.

Not sure if they ever came out with an updated version.

I do like my HAF 922 I just worried about the dust getting into my power supply. I blow out my case every 1st of the month and I dont see any dust bunnies in there yet. I am just worried about dust ending the life of my P/S. I was looking at the HAF 932 if it has a dust filter for the P/S. Or should I try to make one and how?

I’d say your best bet is google. Look for other HAF 922 owners posting on forums about their opinions. There are alot of options when it comes to adding your own filters.

As for your PSU airflow question. I wouldn’t set it up so it’s sucking hot air from within the case. It’ll just raise it’s core temperature. I wouldn’t worry too much about your PSU dying from dust. If you thoroughly clean it like you say it’ll keep chugging along just fine. I had an old Dell XPS 400 that I rarely cleaned and it never gave out on me.

[QUOTE=mrloren;2634015]my current build with the HAF 922. Would it be better to turn the power supplu over so it’s sucking air from inside the case? Might be a little better for cleaning[/QUOTE]

Yo mrloren-

Couple of suggestions:

Yes turn your psu over to evacuate air from within the case and cool the psu at the same time.

Your Hyper 212 appears to potentially be fighting the case exhaust fan directly behind it - suggest that you put the fan on the other side with the airflow directed at the case fan - or better still - buy another fan and mount it on the other side - creating a “push/pull” arrangement - again with airflow directed at the case fan.

These changes may negate your need to get another case and provide substantially more cooling.

Big Mike,

The Hyper 212 fan was hitting the RAM so I turned the fan around so it is blowing out the back of the case. It’s a little hard to see in the picture but the arrow is pointing to the rear. I don’t have a heat problem my 2600k never goes above 50c even with prime 95 on for two hours.

I live in so cal and it gets dusty here, I am worried about dust clogging up my P/S. I might try turning the P/S over at least it would be easier to clean.

Corsair 650D and 800D Obsidian Cases. Best Cases I have ever owned.

[QUOTE=mrloren;2634105]…I live in so cal and it gets dusty here, I am worried about dust clogging up my P/S. I might try turning the P/S over at least it would be easier to clean.[/QUOTE]

Yo mrloren-

The current orientation of the psu suggests that it is pulling air over the carpet via a [I][B]very[/B][/I] narrow space = a surefire way to burn up a perfectly good psu IMO :eek::iagree::eek:

Turning the psu over would make hella good sense-eh :iagree:

I have my PC on top of wood. but yes I am going to filp this thing over. At least I can blow it out without having to remove it every month.

[QUOTE=mrloren;2634015]my current build with the HAF 922. Would it be better to turn the power supplu over so it’s sucking air from inside the case? Might be a little better for cleaning[/QUOTE]No as it will be sucking hot air through the psu, Just get something to lift it up a couple of inches off the base. My case has already killed one psu so I put the wheels on it that came with it so air can get around under it.

[QUOTE=slayerking;2634153]No as it will be sucking hot air through the psu, Just get something to lift it up a couple of inches off the base. My case has already killed one psu so I put the wheels on it that came with it so air can get around under it.[/QUOTE]

Yo Paul-

I will disagree with you here - the case (as shown in his picture) has a large fan in front blowing air over the hard drives; a case fan in both back and top of the case; the psu has a fan opening directly to the right and on the bottom of the case - given the small space below the psu - my guess is that the psu is getting most of its air from this opening.

Turning over the psu and allowing the fan to pull in much more air and assisting in the evacuation of hot air from the graphics cards is still the best option - IMO

Your fact that the same orientation in your case caused the psu to fail only reinforces the need for mrloren to turn the psu over.

(btw - psu’s have been pulling in case air in the top of millions of computers for years - the psu’s being designed for this location and the cases internal hot air)

I have a HAF 922 with 2, 200mm fans blowing in and 1, 200mm & 120mm fan blowing out. Air flow and heat is not a problem with this case.

The reason for this post is:

1. there is NO dust filter for the P/S. I clean all my PC’s every month and getting the dust out of the P/S is a problem having to remove the P/S every time I clean it.
  2. I have been looking to see if there is a better case than the HAF 922. So far the only one I like more is the HAF 932.

I am going to turn the P/S over and pull the air out of the case. Al least when I clean I don’t have to remove the P/S or worry about it getting enough air. I am going to find a way to get a filter on the door fan. Any ideas?

Finding the right Case for your Build is the first thing I do. My last Build was with a Cooler Master, but I looked high and low for this Case. I don’t like the typical Black Box, Aluminum is my choice. So NZXT is the Case of choice, one beautiful selection. Check the Link below. :cool:
http://www.nzxt.com/Download/adamas1280.jpg

Still happy with my Cooler Master Stacker Black Aluminum 830 SE Full Tower Case.

:cool::cool:

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2634193]Yo Paul-

I will disagree with you here - the case (as shown in his picture) has a large fan in front blowing air over the hard drives; a case fan in both back and top of the case; the psu has a fan opening directly to the right and on the bottom of the case - given the small space below the psu - my guess is that the psu is getting most of its air from this opening.

Turning over the psu and allowing the fan to pull in much more air and assisting in the evacuation of hot air from the graphics cards is still the best option - IMO

Your fact that the same orientation in your case caused the psu to fail only reinforces the need for mrloren to turn the psu over.

(btw - psu’s have been pulling in case air in the top of millions of computers for years - the psu’s being designed for this location and the cases internal hot air)[/QUOTE]He/she needs to lift the case up off the ground (higher than what it is… Which I did) so the air can flow easily through the bottom of the case.