What is your favorite anti-virus software?

vbimport

I’m not asking for the best, I guess this is also a bit personal but here is a good overview:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index

I’m on Avira Pro. Did anyone try Coranti which is on that above list?

I have two programs installed on my system that provides anti-virus protecting ‘Zone Alarm Extreme Security’ and ‘Advanced System Optimizer’

‘Zone Alarm Extreme Security’ which is my default firewall uses Kaspersky for anti-virus/anti-spyware scanning, and ‘Advanced System Optimizer’ is set to scans for viruses during a system wide cleanup and optimization of the system which is scheduled on a monthly basis.

[B]SJ[/B]

Irresponsible me has no AV installed in my primary operating system, though in my secondary install, I simply use Microsoft Security Essentials. Knock on wood, I haven’t run across a virus in years; I know I run a high risk just like everyone else, but I TRY to maintain some discretion with my browsing & installation habits.

[QUOTE=Albert;2651166]Irresponsible me has [B]no AV installed in my primary operating system[/B], though in my secondary install, I simply use Microsoft Security Essentials. Knock on wood, I haven’t run across a virus in years; I know I run a high risk just like everyone else, but I TRY to maintain some discretion with my browsing & installation habits.[/QUOTE]

:eek: Thats not wise my friend although maintaining good browsing & installation habits is a big factor in safety you really should have protection on your main system especially when it comes to Trojans, key-loggers and other such threats that can hide deep within your system, I hope you don’t do any online banking or other types of financial computing on that main system.

[B]SJ[/B]

I also use Zone Alarm and it seems to work pretty good, I did use Norton a while back but found it to be a resource hog.

I use Kaspersky internet Security suite along with Super anti-spyware. I find it to be better than Zone Alarm security suite. Which I used to use.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2651168]:eek: Thats not wise my friend although maintaining good browsing & installation habits is a big factor in safety you really should have protection on your main system especially when it comes to Trojans, key-loggers and other such threats that can hide deep within your system, I hope you don’t do any online banking or other types of financial computing on that main system.

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]

The thing is, no one has managed to say definitively WHAT A/V is good for OS X. At the rate with which I do local backups, though, it almost wouldn’t affect me greatly to run across a virus that destroyed the system, but I could get behind protecting the rare sensitive information…

Still, I live on my phone & tablet, which makes it easier to not worry too much.

edit: also, I’m like a hawk with these things. It’d be pretty hard to miss malevolent activity on here. :iagree:

I use avira free with some edit to stop the annoying pop advertisement and beyond that it works so far and doesn’t give false reads. As to ZA pro I used it and finally the last two years tossed it as it blocked legit sites and cause problem for my A/V so I used Windows 7x64 firewall and defender along with my Avira Free and so far I been safe and clean. I done this setup on my cousins two desktops and my sister and brothers laws two computer and laptop and on 4 of my laptops and they are still working and running perfectly fine… ZA was good until 8 after that I just had problems…now don’t have ZA anymore and what I did to block pop site was edit my “Host” file to block those sites and it works…

Considering the purpose of AV software I’d be hard pressed to say I have a ‘favorite’. My favorite would be for Logitech to make keyboards that self destruct, Mission Impossible style, if someone types any malicious code. That being impractical, I use MSE.

I also don’t really have a favourite - whatever’s cheap at the time (I usually switch after I’ve bought the AV + first year’s subscription @ half price in a nearby B&M store!).

However, I’m currently running an AV/firewall suite provided by my ISP (a Trend Micro jobbie) on my main PC that works pretty well, and is part of my Internet subscription, so I’d be foolish not to use it.

I use Comodo Internet Security Pro 2012 because it possesses:
A sandbox “sand tray” which launches potentiellements malicious processes in a closed and reduced their rights on the system.
Protection IDS / HIPS, which blocks the release (or the modification of the system) for potentially malicious or unknown applications.
Must still minimal system knowledge and understanding of the program.

[QUOTE=lycopodium93;2651341]I use Comodo Internet Security Pro 2012 because it possesses:
A sandbox “sand tray” which launches potentiellements malicious processes in a closed and reduced their rights on the system.
Protection IDS / HIPS, which blocks the release (or the modification of the system) for potentially malicious or unknown applications.
Must still minimal system knowledge and understanding of the program.[/QUOTE]

Hi lycopodium93

Welcome to the forum :flower:

I’ve heard Comodo is very good by a few other members as well as a few friends of mine :iagree: although I have never tried it I think if I was to drop Zone Alarm Extreme Security Suite I would go with Comodo because of all the positive comments I hear about it.

And thanks for adding your input on this. :clap:

[B]SJ[/B]

I use avira free since a few years now and I never had a problem. The popups are a bit annoying these days. Coolcolors, which edits???

[QUOTE=H3rB3i;2651366]I use avira free since a few years now and I never had a problem. The popups are a bit annoying these days. Coolcolors, which edits???[/QUOTE]

When you go into control panel you can go to your local security policy and then to software restriction policies and then to additional rules and from there you can do a “new path rule” and then browse and find avnotify.exe and apply it and the pop will stop you will still get those task bar pop up but not the big in your face ad from avira. As for the host edit I use two various sites that gives help on hosts edits. Those small pops annoys me but I can live with that as long as I don’t get the large screen ad from avira to get preminum.

aka

127.0.0.1 xxx.xxxx.xxx

That’s effectively blocks the site from loading or giving you any popups.

I saw another poster write “99% of viruses come on-line” and I laughed - actually, I think the number is 100%. (I just can’t remember the last time AOL mailed me an install Floppy. Can you? Would THAT be the magical 1% that was off-line?)

But all of the virus-episodes I run across are “invited in” ransomware tactics where the user responds to some splashed-up dialog giving them a set of YES-NO buttons that do the same thing - infect the computer because the User invited them in. Kiss the user-rights goodbye…

Nothing’s stopping those except smart user behavior.

Yo-

I’ve been experimenting with antivirus software since my Bitdefender Internet Suite 2012 bogged down my computer to a crawl. My ISP - Comcast - offers [B]Norton[/B] for free and I am trying that on my wife’s computer.

On my own two computers - I have tried [B]Avira Free [/B](way too many popup ads); [B]Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 [/B]free trial (blocked me out of many frequently visited sites and news feeds) and finally [B]Kaspersky Antivirus 2012 [/B]free trial which has been working fine for over two weeks - so I bought the one year/three user version for a whole $12.25 from Amazon.com to put on my two computers and lappy. I think a top rated antivirus program for $4.08333 per computer 24/7/365 is a GREAT bargain-eh!!

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2651453]I saw another poster write “99% of viruses come on-line” and I laughed - actually, I think the number is 100%. (I just can’t remember the last time AOL mailed me an install Floppy. Can you? Would THAT be the magical 1% that was off-line?)

But all of the virus-episodes I run across are “invited in” ransomware tactics where the user responds to some splashed-up dialog giving them a set of YES-NO buttons that do the same thing - infect the computer because the User invited them in. Kiss the user-rights goodbye…

Nothing’s stopping those except smart user behavior.[/QUOTE]

Yes maintaining good security habits while browsing and viewing email plays a big role when it comes to the safety of your system, however there are other ways a system can become infected without the interaction from the user such as drive by installation which are mostly found on specially crafted web-pages those types of infections are done in the background without the users knowledge.

So you shouldn’t rely on just good browsing habits alone, you must have good security in place which anti-virus protection should be a part of your security measures.

BTW…I noticed you didn’t mention anything on what you are using.

[B]SJ[/B]

This is what I use & it seems to be working:
Avast Free , MBAM free, SpywareBlaster & Windows firewall .

In addition the router firewall .

I also use some online tests like the Kaspersky one SJ posted recently .

I also use Eraser for overwrittiing unused disc space regularly & for deleting most files .

Mike, supposedly BitDefender 2013 Antivirus has worked out the kinks that plagued 2012. Though I suspect part of your problem is that you left the automatic updates on. If you do that, it will constantly look for updates, thereby tying up your system. If you uncheck it and do manual updates you might be surprised at how light a footprint it has. Though I haven’t updated to 2012 from 2011 yet.

I’ve pretty much tried most of the major ones. AVG was nice and light as was Avira, but both missed several nasties. And unfortunately AVG is so popular that some turkeys consistently write anti AVG trojans that disable it. Avast! Home Edition is nice, but only if you don’t have a lot of music files, particularly FLAC files. It really gets bogged down scanning them. Eset is pretty light and seems to catch the majority of the nasties. That may be what I used in the future, especially since there are specials on it that make it very reasonable and it doesn’t block my g/f’s websites that she uses.

I currently used Bit Defender 2011 for anti-virus on two boxes and Avast! on another. Bit Defender seems to have one of the best detection rates that I’ve seen.

As far as anti-malware/spyware, I use the PRO version of Malwarebytes and Comodo Cleaning Essentials. I got a lifetime subscription for $15 on Valentines Day for Malwarebytes. It’s nice in that it has an active web blocker for malware. Not that BitDefender doesn’t usually catch things, but every once in a while I will see a Warning! from Malwarebytes. Comodo Cleaning Essentials(CCE) is a nifty free tool from Comodo that has caught many a nasty. It’s a nice backstop. And it’s helped me de-nastify friends and my g/f’s computer many o’ time.

It was once Norton’s. Later Symantec’s Norton. From time to time, South Korea’s own V3. For the recent several years, V3 has always been the primary antivirus software on most of the computers I worked with and built for others since it was much faster and smaller and seemed more efficient and thorough for domestic situations than Symantec and Kaspersky, but I am now running Microsoft’s Security Essentials plus one or two other things on each system since the inventor of V3 who made US$200 million has become an important presidential candidate.

I feel spam mails and calls do more harm than virus, but governments, regulatory bodies, and telephone companies do few or nothing because they are part of the spammers.