What Is V Sync?

vbimport

Hello! Should I turn off V Sync option in settings of my friends system? he has tnt2 card. what is this and will it improve if I switch it on.

Arun

SARS is like Osama Bin Ladan

V-sync is a term used to describe how a graphics board renders and displays an image to the display. With v-sync On, the graphics board draws one frame of a scene, and waits for the monitor to display it before starting the next frame.

With v-sync Off, the board draws one frame, and then immediately starts on the next frame - whether the display is ready for it or not.

With v-sync turned off you may experience tearing which can be quite disturbing. However if you hav bad frame rates you can earn some frames by turning v-sync off.

V Sync should always be enabled unless you are Benchmarking. Now when you install the Detonator drivers Stupid nvidia has v sync disabled by default just so they can get higher scores in benchmarks. I would class that as cheating, becus there is no option of turning V Sync on in the display properties becus nvidia has hidden it. I think you will need one of them reg files or 3rd party software to enable V Sync. :a

thanks for the info.

actually RaWShadow its pretty easy to find and turn the V Sync option on or off.
just go to Display Properties and click the Advanced option, then go to the tab that has the name of your graphics card, you’ll find the V Sync option in there.
what version of Detonator drivers have you been using that this option is hidden?
also the V Sync option is enable “on” by default.

I have been using all versions of the detonators since about the 20’s. Im currently using Detonator FX 44.03. I have installed detonator drivers hundreds of times. I know for a fact its hidden and disabled by default. I don’t know if it matters what region you have windows set to, but im in the UK/british.

Originally posted by RaWShadow
I have been using all versions of the detonators since about the 20’s. Im currently using Detonator FX 44.03. I have installed detonator drivers hundreds of times. I know for a fact its hidden and disabled by default. I don’t know if it matters what region you have windows set to, but im in the UK/british.

Ummm… no again. VSync is not a hidden option in detonators. You can always access it by going to OpenGL tab. In fact, Vertical Sync is on by default, so I don’t know where you got your “fact” from. Windows region setting has nothing to do w/ V sync settings as it’s a separate entity from detonator video driver settings.

I see we are getting confused. Yes the OpenGL V Sync is not hidden but the direct 3D V Sync is hidden. 3D mark uses direct 3D so they did’nt need to hide the opengl V Sync. :wink:

Futuremark says Nvidia didn’t cheat.

might want to check this out aswell.
funny how everyone thinks Nvidia is cheating when there not.

Originally posted by Accel7
[B]Futuremark says Nvidia didn’t cheat.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/news/news_6029339.html

might want to check this out aswell.
funny how everyone thinks Nvidia is cheating when there not. [/B]
Yeah right :slight_smile:

what ???
now Futuremark is lying for Nvidia ???
or maybe Futuremark cheated Nvidia.
maybe Futuremark has been cheating for ATI !!!
LOL
j/k heehee

That source should have quoted someone from Futuremark. Looks like it isn’t true as nVidia would have spread it all over the world if it was…