What is up with my ND-4571A?

Hi folks,
I heard this is the place to go if you have a problem with your DVD drive and I sure do!

Ok, some background info
My ND-4571A was working fine before the weekend. However, over the weekend I installed a new CPU cooler for my PC. This involved removing the motherboard to attach a bracket to the bottom. Hence I had to dismantle the entire PC and removed the DVD drive from the mobo. The drive is connected via IDE cable to another hard disk, then to mobo. Both drives are jumpered to channel select.

After I reconnected everything together again and booted up, the ND-4571A is seriously acting the maggot. I don’t know what’s up with it.
I recognizes audio CDs and I can see the CD has 15 tracks but if I go to play the CD, the drive starts whirring like mad and system freezes. I have to press eject on drive to unfreeze system. To me it seems, it can read table of contents of discs but can’t actually play them.
If I put in data CDs, it starts whirring like crazy, system freeze and again, eject is only solution.
If I use PowerDVD, drive whirrs like crazy when trying to access drive, again -eject unfreezes system.

Now I must confess, that on re-connecting drive to system I initially had IDE cable upside and forced a pin backwards. I know, stupid of me. I opened it up and push the pin back out. Therefore, I thought the problem is hardware related and that I need a new drive. However, to test drive I used the Windows CD and booted from that. The drive was able to read it perfectly and brought me into Windows Setup mode. To me, this would indicate, no physical issue with drive but something on OS level.

I’ve tried everything else to pinpoint problem
Re-installed firmware
Uninstall/install windows driver
Boot to safe mode
Boot to safe mode (command prompt) - can’t access drive root
Ran virus scans to check for viruses
Connect to mobo direct without other harddrive via the IDE cable

Is there anyone out there who can help me? Before I have to go buy another drive, I’d like to exhaust all options. Did anyome experience something like this before? Is there any tools I can use to check integrity of drive?

Any help greatly appreciated!!! Cheers
Shav

Welcome to CD Freaks.

I could well be talking out of my backside here but could it be that the pin you bent was related to audio extract? I admit that I have no idea about the pin assignments but audio extraction would be an obvious difference between an Audio CD & the Windows disk.

Thanks TimC. It’s possible but I don’t think that the problem. If I try to run the Windows CD under Windows, the system freezes, but I’m still able to boot from the CD.
I’m going to try putting the drive into a friend’s PC later tonight. It’s an old PC but hopefully it’s got the right connections. If so, from here I can determine if problem is OS or hardware related

If the pin you bent has not broken off and once bent back you can plug the IDE cable in the right way without forcing it, then it should be OK.

It would be best to put the HD and the DVD on separate IDE channels (i assume from your description you only have 1 HD and 1 DVD), i.e. HD on IDE1 jumpered as master and DVD on IDE2 jumpered as master, I personally never use channel select on my IDE devices.

Double check that the underside of the mobo is not touching the case, just to eliminate it shorting on the metal chassis. I’d also double check everything is connected to the mobo correctly just to be sure.

You could also delete the Primary/Secondary IDE channel in Device Manager, reboot and let windows rediscover it and see if that helps, check to see if DMA is enabled on the HD and DVD too!

A long shot, but you could also clear the CMOS settings in your BIOS, write the settings down first, and re-enter the values to see if anything got corrupt.

If it doesn’t work in your mates system then it looks like it is faulty :frowning:

Hey all,
it’s definitely not the drive. I installed it in another PC and it worked fine. I put the drive back in original PC, did some more work with OS last night and managed to get it to work!
In Device Manager, I unchecked “let bios determine transfer mode” and set it to PIO mode. Drive worked fine after this. This would lead me to believe there’s something up with the BIOS setttings. I’m using a Gigabyte GA-8N-Sli Pro mobo flashed to bios version F7.
If you’ve ever use this BIOS, any suggestions on where the problem may be?
Also, I picked PIO transfer mode but there was alot of other DMA options. Do you know which is best?
R
Cheers
Shav

Hey all,
it’s definitely not the drive. I installed it in another PC and it worked fine. I put the drive back in original PC, did some more work with OS last night and managed to get it to work!
In Device Manager, I unchecked “let bios determine transfer mode” and set it to PIO mode. Drive worked fine after this. This would lead me to believe there’s something up with the BIOS setttings. I’m using a Gigabyte GA-8N-Sli Pro mobo flashed to bios version F7.
If you’ve ever use this BIOS, any suggestions on where the problem may be?
Also, I picked PIO transfer mode but there was alot of other DMA options. Do you know which is best?
Right now, acc to BIOS the DVD drive is master and other hard drive on IDE card is slave. Everytime I reboot, Windows says integrity of harddrive needs to be checked and it runs chdsk. I presume this has got something to do with BIOS transfer or IDEas well.

All help in closing this off, greatly appreciated
Cheers
Shav

Your HDD should be running in DMA mode 5 or 6 & the 4571 in DMA mode 2. PIO is not good as this limits burn speed & can cause burning problems.

If the burner can’t work in DMA mode it could be a problem with the IDE cable. I assume you didn’t use the same one when trying in another PC.

As suggested your should really have the burner on a separate IDE channel/cable from the HDD , especially as your motherboard seems to have 2 IDE channels.

The Windows integrity check would suggest that Windows is not shutting down correctly and that possibly you’re running a FAT32 file system rather than NTFS.

Thanks TimC,
I’ll have a go tonight and try some combinations with another IDE cable/settings changes. Cheers

Hi all,
I went at it again last night but still no joy. I used another IDE cable and connected the drive directly (no HDD attached) via the second IDE port to the mobo. I jumper the DVD drive to master. However I keep getting the same results. The drive can recognize CDs but if I go to play them, it just starts whirring mad with nothing happening. With data CDs/DVDs drive just whirs very fasy with again nothing happening

After doing the physical stuff above, I also tried
Flashing the BIOS again
Clearing the CMOS
Uninstalling the DVD drive
Uninstalling the Nvidia 4 Chipset ATA controller
Running sfc /scannow to check for corrupt windows files
Running full scan with Spydoctor
Re-flashing the firmware for the drive
No luck with any!!!

Therefore from tha above, I can almost definitely rule out any hardware issues. All drivers seems to be ok as well. Perhaps there’s something up with the regstry?

2 strange things with all of this that are bugging me

1. Why drive works fine with PIO but not DMA?
  2. Even more stranger. In “My Computer”, the drive appears as a DVD-RAM. Not sure if this was the case before or just a DVD-RW. However, I can double-click on the icon and go into it as if it was an empty HDD. This is possible when there’s no disk in the drive. As far as I’m aware, this shouldn’t be possible but instead I should be prompted to insert a disc?

Thanks everyone for the posts
Shav

Sorry, forgot to mention in last post. I also ran Nero InfoTool on drive last night if anyone wants to look at it.

Here’s the main part of it. I s it correct that attached device on IDE is noted as CD-ROM??? If you need to see the rest, let me know

Nero InfoTool 4.03

Drive Information

Drive : _NEC DVD_RW ND-4571A
Type : DVD-RAM Recorder
Firmware Version : 1-02
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : 6275697S111
Vendor Specific : 06071300
Drive Letter : E:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 20 , 16 , 10 , 8 , 4 X
Write Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 8 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : Yes
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-R DL : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read HD DVD-ROM : No
Read HD DVD-R : No
Read HD DVD-RW : No
Read HD-BURN : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : Yes
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : Yes
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Write HD DVD-R : No
Write HD DVD-RW : No
Write HD-BURN-R : No
Write HD-BURN-RW : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
SolidBurn : No
Labelflash : Yes
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 2
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4

Disc Information (E:)

Type : no disc inserted

Interface Information

Adapter 1

Description : NVIDIA nForce4 Intel® Edition Serial ATA Controller

Driver
Description : System32\DRIVERS
vatabus.sys
Company : NVIDIA Corporation
Version : 5.10.2600.0521 built by: WinDDK
Description : NVIDIA® nForce™ IDE Performance Driver

Attached Devices
Description : ID 2 (0): _NEC DVD_RW ND-4571A
Type : CD-Rom Drive
Autorun : On

Adapter 2

Driver
vatabus.sys

Attached Devices
Description : ID 0 (0): WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0
Type : Disk Drive

Adapter 3

Driver
vatabus.sys

Attached Devices

I’m out of ideas unless could it possibly be a power supply issue, if the PSU was on the limit & the new cooler just takes it over the limit. Strange things can happen in this situation.

Regarding (2) this is perfectly normal. It’s a DVD-RAM drive so that’s what Windows displays.

You could double check if your harddrive and nec are connected to thesame powerline. My 4571 was acting weird as well, solved it by giving it a separate powercord to the PSU.

This drive does not work well or work at all if you do not use a 40 pin ide cable. If you use another drive with it on the same cable, the other drive must be the same UDMA 2. Make sure you enabled UDMA in BIOS. I have a Lite-on DVD ROM as my slave with my ND4571A and no problems

That might be the case for you but these days you can mix & match devices without any such issues.

Hi all,
sorry I haven’t posted a while with the progress of this but I’ve been away. Anyway, at the end of the day I decided to format the OS partition and re-install XP SP2 so to have fresh install. Still no joy. I’ve also tried another DVD drive, Hitachi GD 5000 (that works fine in DMA) with another PC but this has same problem, can’t do DMA.
Therefore, this would lead me to believe the problem lies with BOIS/mobo. I’ve logged a call with Gigabyte. Once I have final response, will let ya know how I got on. Cheers
Shav