What is throttling

vbimport

What are the symptoms of throttling or what sounds does it make. I just got a new i7 laptop with blu ray cd/rw in it. When i go to play a cd or certain things i hear it reeve up like a motor is reving up or is it the fan?

My guess would be the CPU Fan is picking up speed to cool the CPU

My other laptop1640 is VERY quiet. No fan noise. It is duo core where the new one 1645 is quad i7.

What is throttling and what does it sound like?

[QUOTE=bean55;2482709]My guess would be the CPU Fan is picking up speed to cool the CPU[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2482703]What are the symptoms of throttling or what sounds does it make. I just got a new i7 laptop with blu ray cd/rw in it. When i go to play a cd or certain things i hear it reeve up like a motor is reving up or is it the fan?[/QUOTE]

I would beg to differ with bean55 that increase sounds can also be from the BD drive starting up and speeding up to catch the media to play it or read it. My DVD burner drive does that when I put in cd/dvd media into it especially a movie dvd. But without know more of the drive type and how you have it setup would also help to know what is going on as well. You need to more precise are you just talking about optical media or something else? Saying certain things is very vague and doesn’t give much to clue to what your saying…???

You mighty be right. I had put in a dvd movie to play in the BD drive. I will have to use it in order to see if it continues and what else it does. I am charging it now until tomorrow. I need to backup my docs etc. on the 1640 so I can transfer to the 1645 and then start installing programs. I also want to backup the 1645 in case I screw up I can always reinstall as it was new.

Thanks. I will post when I find out more. I had heard the term throttleing and wanted to know what it was and the symptoms of it.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2482737]I would beg to differ with bean55 that increase sounds can also be from the BD drive starting up and speeding up to catch the media to play it or read it. My DVD burner drive does that when I put in cd/dvd media into it especially a movie dvd. But without know more of the drive type and how you have it setup would also help to know what is going on as well. You need to more precise are you just talking about optical media or something else? Saying certain things is very vague and doesn’t give much to clue to what your saying…???[/QUOTE]

I would say it’s the drive, Drives have to reach a certain rotational speed and this will depend on the medium it’s reading.

The design construction of the drive will play a factor in regards to how much noise it will make, some drives are nosier than others and the higher rotational speeds are the nosier the drive could be.

:cool::cool:

Just listen to were the sound is coming from. If it only happens with disks its the drive. If it happens with all media or games then its the CPU prob. Because with all the new x4 core CPU’s the processor runs at a lower level to save power tell its need then it kicks up making the fan on the CPU kick up to keep it cool. Or you could have a super noisy HDD… I have used a few laptops so noise that it sounded like a disk in the cd/dvd rom.

I will know more as I use it tomorrow. If it is the hd or the cpu then I will be happy with the 1640 as it is fast and other then the ticking occassional sound from the seagate drive I would rather keep it.

[QUOTE=glamdring92;2482756]Just listen to were the sound is coming from. If it only happens with disks its the drive. If it happens with all media or games then its the CPU prob. Because with all the new x4 core CPU’s the processor runs at a lower level to save power tell its need then it kicks up making the fan on the CPU kick up to keep it cool. Or you could have a super noisy HDD… I have used a few laptops so noise that it sounded like a disk in the cd/dvd rom.[/QUOTE]

What is it a Toshiba? I’m just guessing them because they have one of the most popular I7 laptops.

[QUOTE=glamdring92;2482814]What is it a Toshiba? I’m just guessing them because they have one of the most popular I7 laptops.[/QUOTE]

No, it is a Dell 645 Studio XPS. I just tried a blu-ray movie in it and it seems to work!!! yeahh, so many are having problems with it. I need to watch it all the way through and see if it stops or jumps but so far so good. If this continues this computer is SWEET.

Well if it didn’t work i would return it lol… Is there a reason you bought a high-end laptop? Or did you just wanted a nice computer?

Yeah i’m not sure any thing about that dell but i too assume it was the disk drive did you fined out? Dell has a tendency to use cheap disk drives and what not to lower there prices… Dell places 3rd worst company on my list for using cheap parts and bloated programs that come with it… How much did it coast?

[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2482734]What is throttling and what does it sound like?[/QUOTE]Slowdown of a component (especially CPU or GPU). Thermal throttling means, the component slows down in order to prevent from overheating. This is a feature that is present in almost all newer processors.
Throttling does have no sound. :wink: But since the component is very hot at this time, you’ll hear the fans rotating at maximum speed.

i7 in a laptop tends to run hot, so the occurence of thermal throttling wouldn’t surprise me.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2482881]Throttling does have no sound.[/QUOTE]
Another way of phrasing it is that it does not sound like fire :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2482881]Slowdown of a component (especially CPU or GPU). Thermal throttling means, the component slows down in order to prevent from overheating. This is a feature that is present in almost all newer processors.
Throttling does have no sound. :wink: But since the component is very hot at this time, you’ll hear the fans rotating at maximum speed.

i7 in a laptop tends to run hot, so the occurence of thermal throttling wouldn’t surprise me.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I think it is the fan. I tried a blue ray movie today which plays on the computer but not on the tv with the laptop hooked to it. I think it is a software problem that needs upgrading. I will let you all know as I use the computer how it goes.

To answer why I got a computer that high end. It will probably be the last computer I get. I am a Sr. retired person. The price on Dell was good. I also do a lot of movies. I hope that answers the other fellows question.

I got it to play on the tv by setting the computer video to play out on another type screen. Working on getting the audio to come out of tv instead of the computer now.

[QUOTE=MeggieJJ;2483610]I got it to play on the tv by setting the computer video to play out on another type screen. Working on getting the audio to come out of tv instead of the computer now.[/QUOTE]

Sound from Blue ray still won’t play on the tv but any other movie will. I will deal with Dell and see what they have to say next week.

If you have realtek audio you might have to go to their site and get the realtek HD audio driver HDMI part.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/

[QUOTE=eric93se;2483996]If you have realtek audio you might have to go to their site and get the realtek HD audio driver HDMI part.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/[/QUOTE]

think the audio/video is combined. Dell is working on what the problem is. LOTS of people have the same problem