What is the virtual Clonedrive?

See titel, there is an icon in My computer thats called virtual clonedrive.

What is it?

It’s a virtual cd/dvd rom drive similar to those used by daemon tools and alcohol 120%.

Originally posted by philamber
It’s a virtual cd/dvd rom drive similar to those used by daemon tools and alcohol 120%.

Yes, I said that in the post above you…

Whats its function.

You can mount images of your CD’s and emulate the protection.

Airhead:

Correct me if I am wrong but your post seems to imply that the Virtual CloneDrive has nothing to do with the replication of a copy protected CD.

During my setup of CloneCD 4.2.0.1 a WARNING message was generated alerting me of a potential system conflict if I continued with the installation of the Virtual CloneDrive. What are the system implications, if any, of installing the Virtual CloneDrive? I am using Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for your reply!

The warning is normal. Windows XP will give a warning message but you can ignore that. The CloneDrive will be installed and as you know you now have a new drive on your system. CloneDrive can be used to test your CloneCD images with and as said here before you can mount images with it. I use CloneDrive for playing GTA3 for example. I’ve installed the game but I don’t want to risk scratching my disc. So I made an image of the second play disc and stored it on my hard disk. Then I can mount that image in the CloneDrive and play GTA3. No more hassling with CD-ROMs and the game starts much faster (and no more glitches in game play because of the CD-drive seeking info on the CD).

G@M3FR3@K:

Thank you for your quick, detailed and reassuring reply.