What is the use of iso?

vbimport

hi again,

I always wondered what iso is used for especially when it comes to burnning Cds!!!

does it make differnce to burn CDs using iso?

thnx :slight_smile:

iso is a file format that includes all of your files/directories that will be burned on your CD/DVD media. For example when you copy a CD/DVD to your hdd using CloneCD/Alcohol or other 1:1 copy software you create image files like : CloneCD format (.ccd/.img/.sub) and MDS format (.mdf/.mds)

all i can assume it means is that unlike the computer reading a 2gb video file, it reads one solid file that is native to it for when it burns. If you do a read speed with nero before you burn and its a dvd you are burning, you might notice that the read speed drops at times. If you burn ISO the read speed might be better. the same concept would apply to burning a cd if im right here.

it might make a difference if your pc is a bit old.

Great for quick copies of a disc,and easy to use.
Bruce

thnx guys :slight_smile:

you are very helpful :slight_smile:

one last question, does it affect the size, I mean if you had a movie or a software that it is 1 GIGA would it be with using the iso with less size?

as far as I know it has no effect on size.

The only time I have seen a difference in size is if cue/bin formats are being used, I have yet to see an iso that is diferent from the original in size.

Definitely don’t confuse it for a compression format, iso’s are normally a bit larger than the sum of the files contained in them.

Some iso appear to be bigger then the file,i.e. knoppx,but that is due to compression on the disc and on the fly decompression.
Bruce

.BIN files are usually bigger than .ISO files, as .ISO files only store the files and folders, whereas a .BIN file is a true bit by bit copy.

.BIN files are images extracted in pure raw format (which is why they are sometimes renamed to .RAW files). That is 2352 bytes sectors, the full CD sector content: User data, sector header, error correction codes (ECC) and error detection codes (EDC). Once again, each sector is converted to digital data in the .BIN file, but more stuff than for an .ISO file is copied and the resulting file will be bigger. The .BIN file should usually be 251,000 x 2352 = 590,352,000 bytes in size. This process will copy ANYTHING on the disc, so it is useful for exotic discs (multiple tracks, mixed track type Audio+Data or Data+Audio) and for non-PC CDs (PSX, VCD, MAC).

:cool: :cool:

oh thnx guys, you are da BEST :smiley: