What is the quality of Taiyo Yuden DVD media like these days?

vbimport

I used to write a lot of DVD media but much less so in the last 2 years.
I use Taiyo Yuden DVD-R x8 for SL and Verbatim DVD+R for DL

I found TY x8 gave me much better quality of burn then x16. I usually use the so called “master grade” ones then the OEM version.

I heard that the quality of Taiyo Yuden is no longer as good as what they used to be.

Can’t we get good quality Taiyo Yuden media anymore?

If we can’t then maybe I would have to ration the remaining 100+ TY DVD-R x8 I have left.

My other query is Taiyo Yuden DVD-R DL. This is something new to me. What is the quality like? As good or better than Verbatim DVD+R DL ?
I can source them from here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JVC-Taiyo-Yuden-100-pack-DVD-R-Dual-Layer-8x-DL-Disc-8-5GB-Inkjet-Printable-/170907175567?pt=Blank_Media&hash=item27cadc8a8f
http://www.nortsandones.com.au/Blank-Media/Blank-DVDs/DVD-DL/aiyo-Yuden-JVC-DVD-R-DL-8.5GB-Wide-Inkjet-100-pack

I use Verbatim AZO 16x rated from newegg. They may not produce scans as well as TY 8x, with consistently under 100 PIF. But they do play in players without skipping.
Also, if you’re burning video stay away from DVD-R DL and keep getting Verbatim DVD+R DL. DVD-R DL cause all sorts of compatibility problems with layer break positioning and playback in standalone players.

Taiyo Yuden, now also sold as JVC DVD±R, haven’t changed too much from what I’ve seen. Still one of the best choices. As its been in the past, their 8x DVD+R are still one of the cleanest burning discs around.

As always, the quality difference in the TY “value” series makes spending a couple cents more per disc on the standard grade a good idea IMHO.

Thanks Dean,
Have you used the TY DVD+R DL (for video in particularly)?

TY does not make DVD+R DL. They do make DVD-R DL, but you’ll want to avoid that for video. Use Verbatim DVD+R DL.

[QUOTE=kirby7777;2669148]Thanks Dean,
Have you used the TY DVD+R DL (for video in particularly)?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant DVD-R DL.

Thanks Some Random Guy. Your comment noted.
Wonder why DVD-R DL is so bad for DVD video here. I was told that DVD-R SL is better than DVD+R SL for playing video in stand alone DVD player. Maybe in the realm of DL it is the reverse …

By the way what is the longevity and quality of Verbatim DVD+R DL? Any difference in quality comparing the x2.4 and x8 speed ones?

One advantage of DVD+R DL is that you can use bitsetting to make it look like a DVD-ROM. This will make the disc play in even very old DVD players.

DVD-R DL has much more limited compatibility with DVD players. It’s probably not an issue on new DVD players, but on older ones it can definitely be an issue.

[QUOTE=kirby7777;2669152]Sorry, I meant DVD-R DL.

Thanks Some Random Guy. Your comment noted.
Wonder why DVD-R DL is so bad for DVD video here. I was told that DVD-R SL is better than DVD+R SL for playing video in stand alone DVD player. Maybe in the realm of DL it is the reverse …[/QUOTE]

DVD-R DL is not “bad” for DVD video if you live in Japan :). That format gained good acceptance in Asia. Compatibility with SAPs in the rest of the world is not as good as DVD+R DL with booktype set to DVD-ROM. Which most burners are happy to do for you.

Have a look here for a reasonably unbiased take on DVD-R vs DVD+R.
DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM has good compatibility. But I believe that DVD-R has become a bit more widespread as a result of no worries about booktyping.

I should also mention that if you look to buy Verbatim DVD+R DL, they recently released a DL that is NOT the same type or quality that Verbatim DL has become known for. The best way to distinguish them is the word"Azo" on the label that contains their original 2P discs. Here is an example of the “new” Verbatim DLs. I’ve also seen them(and purchased them) in spindles that are identical to the real thing, only lacking the word “azo”.

Has anyone tried VP-R47HGS25? They’re pretty cheap on ebay right now.

[QUOTE=MooMooMooMoo;2669265]Has anyone tried VP-R47HGS25? They’re pretty cheap on ebay right now.

You would not be happy with these