What is the proper way to upgrade and downgrade my 1640 firmware?

vbimport

I plan to upgrade to BSQB on my 1640? And maybe back to BSLB if things dont burn well. Should i be in safe mode when uprading firmware or restart twice? What is the best way to up/downgrade my 1640 firmware? Thanks :wink:

Firmware flashing is no rocket science. Just push the “flash” button in pure windoze, restart and you’re king. :wink:

Yeah, I know we have some very knowledged members telling you to flash in safe mode, restart compu hundred times and not even touch your mouse while flashing.
But to me all that is just b*s. With more then 1k flashes I have not yet had a “bad” flash in pure windoze.

Yeah , using BQFlasher is as simple as pressing “flash” button , then restart, I’ve done it like 20 times the day I got my drive back and forth from newer f/w to older ones and vice versa .

There is no need to use BQFlasher when you flash stock firmware back and forth, as long as firmware is designed for that type of drive.

But when crossflashing to other drive models BQFlasher can be used. In that cases I still prefer to use WinDWFlash (in windoze), or BENQCVT for pure doze flash.

Safe mode is like safe sex, it serves only when you are in errr severe conditions :wink:

May I add another measure of precaution : the drive must be empty. Don’t leave a disc inside while flashing.

everytime i flash a firmware there’s a disc in the drive, i don’t know why^^
but it never caused any problem, the drive doesn’t need to be empty, i don’t even think it’s safer without a disc in.

:iagree: same here I have flashed fw many times with a disc in the drive-no problem. BTW save your media stay with BSLB.

The first time I crossflashed my Sony 810A to Benq 1640 , I forgot a disc in the drive , when I pressed flash , I remembered and started hitting my head to the wall .
For my amazement , it worked just fine :bow:

when i explain how to flash to someone else I pull out all the safety warnings. I’d rather be safe than sorry when dealing with someone else’s equipment. I’m a little more sloppy on my own system.

i always tell people to flash in safe mode and remove all discs even though I never flash in safe mode. (I do remove discs however)

I also tell them not to touch the computer until they get the message that the drive has flashed successfully even though I’ve been known to multitask.

basically, if the power gets cut while you’re flashing then your drive will be a fun experiment to try to get working again. I don’t know how people do it, but buttons are accidentally pressed or they “forget” they’re in the middle of something and reboot while flashing and BAM they come whining that their drive is broken.

basically if you have a stable system and your house doesn’t look like it’s about to be struck my lightning any time soon go ahead and flash in normal mode. It cant hurt to remove the discs from the drives, but don’t freak out if you forget to. do whatever you want while flashing, but always wait until you get the successful confirmation before rebooting.

BSLB, nothing else :slight_smile:

same here (except the part with the wall^^)

flashed many liteons, benqs, necs and a toshiba with inserted disc and never had any problems. so, before flashing, put a disc in the drive to be sure the flash will succeed.

best way to up[B]grade[/B] is bqflasher, for an up[B]date[/B] you can use the stock flasher.

I flash all my drives in safe mode as well with WinDWFlash & CVT files.

I agree, I have tried all 1640 firmwares and BSLB is the best for me. No slowdowns scanning and it reads PIEs better than any other firmware, also lower jitter. I have 3 1640s, one is external so I have BEFB in it, but my favorite is the internal BSLB.

There is no known problem with having a disc in drive while flashing (upgrading) the only problem at least I have faced is when after flashing you reboote you system then the computer freezes and you have to take out the disc and press enter for the booting process to be completed.

do you have the optical drive first in the boot order in your BIOS?

I only change that when I have to boot from CD, otherwise it adds to the boot time.

It is only a problem if you are changing the booktype in the firmware while flashing, some flashers do this ( NecFlash) but other than that I don’t think it makes a difference, but just to be safe I don’t have anything in the drive while flashing, the only thing that can botch up a flash is if the power is interupted while flashing.

No we are getting confused I have not said anything about bios, what I said was when you have disk in your optical drive that your are upgrading or cross flashing that drive after the competition of upgrading you have to reboot your computer in order for the upgrade to take in to effect in that case when you reboot your computer (at least mine) would freeze during rebooting and you have to take the disc out for the booting be completed.

I agree. After trying each new version that is released
I always end up going back to BSLB. :iagree:

double click on the exe file and watch the status bar, click ok to allow your comp to restart, allow your computer to redetect your “new drive” then vala, you are done, insert a new media and give it a spin to test out new firmware. To flash back to old firmware, double click on the exe of the old firmware file, and do the same thing. And if you are the type of guy that wearing one condom is not enough, then flash it in pure dos mode