What is the maximum number of files I can burn into a DVD+R?

vbimport

What is the maximum number of files that I can burn into a DVD+R disc ? DVD+RW ?

I have 48,332 files (mostly icons fiels, in jpg and gif format and some txt files), in 444 folders, 3.91GB in size. I tried to save/burn them into a single DVD+r and DVD+RW and failed.

I was using Nero 5.5.10.35, HP Pavilion 5300 laptop with a Sony DVD+RW DW-P50A dvd burner. I have tried on 2 DVD+R and the Nero said “burned Failed”. I then burned the same 48,332 files into a DVD+RW, and Nero said I have burned successfully.

Then I tried to read those files using the same Sony DVD drive on my HP, I could only read some of the files(i would said 60% of 48,332files) on both the DVD+R(Nero said Failed) and DVD+RW(Nero said Successful)discs. I could see all 444 folders/directories and all 48,332 file-names on the DVD+R and DVD+RW discs.

Most of the files are 35k to 100k in size. Does the number of files can be burned into a DVD+R limits by the number of sectors in a DVD+R (32,768sectors)? Same thing for the DVD+RW ?

( See Why DVD+R(W) is superior to DVD-R(W), dated June 2003, by Michael Spath , one of the advantages of DVD+ is “the OPC test area of DVD+ is 32768 sectors in total, compared to 7088 sectors for DVD-.” )

Thanks,

When burning dvd’s,the files have to be ‘compliant’.When using Nero to burn dvd’s,use the one that says UDF/ISO,and if
Nero ‘likes’ those files (no error messages)
then you probably have a playable disc .

As for the number of files,what are you using, .mpeg or .vob. The mpegs can be used,but to make a compliant dvd,you should use TMPG ENC DVD Author ,which will turn your mpegs in to DVD compliant .vobs. If they’re .vobs already,they’re probably part of DVD titleset that belong to a movie. These files cannot be cut and pasted(as I found out) because they have to be part of a titleset…Good Luck

Originally posted by Ruffrob
[B]When burning dvd’s,the files have to be ‘compliant’.When using Nero to burn dvd’s,use the one that says UDF/ISO,and if
Nero ‘likes’ those files (no error messages)
then you probably have a playable disc .

As for the number of files,what are you using, .mpeg or .vob. The mpegs can be used,but to make a compliant dvd,you should use TMPG ENC DVD Author ,which will turn your mpegs in to DVD compliant .vobs. If they’re .vobs already,they’re probably part of DVD titleset that belong to a movie. These files cannot be cut and pasted(as I found out) because they have to be part of a titleset…Good Luck [/B]

40,000 files and you ask ‘mpeg or vob’ :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Icey 40,000 files and you ask ‘mpeg or vob’

Well,my brother if you want 'em on dvd,you better know what you got,so you know what you’ll get… :slight_smile:

@Ruffrob:

Hujan405 isn’t burning a DVD video disc, so mpeg vs. vob is irrelevant, as is tmpgenc.

@Hujan405:

Neither ISO-9660 nor UDF should be limiting you at the 48,000 file mark. I believe both will theoretically support unlimited number of files, although in practice you may be limited to about 65,000 depending on OS limitations. I don’t think that the number of files you are burning is the source of your problem.

cfitz

Cfitz,I stand corrected,If I read what he said,I would have gotten what was being said…:confused: I guess the maximum number would simply be based on each file’s size… :smiley:

I thought the question was straight forward & dunno where this thread is going (maybe he needs to have a shower & eat some garlic) :confused: :Z .
Anyway I too have the problem… burning thousands of files totaling 2.3 Gb to an iso9660 DVD with joliet: The nero dll bombs out with and unknown error. Then I tried using Nero 5.5 and my machine just gave up and turned itself off!
Is there a maximum number of records on iso9660? (mkext2fs allows you to specify how many inodes to allocate in the filesystem).
This shouldn’t be a memory problem as i got loads and the proc only used 30 mb before crashing 2000.