What is the fastest ripping drive out today?

I know there are many factors that contribute to ripping, but with all things equal (PC mobo, cpu, ripping software, etc.) what is the fastest dvd ripper out on the market today? And it doesn’t have to be a burner either, already have that. I always do target and source at same time, but right now I am using an old Samsung DVD-rom for the source drive, because it has served me very well over the years, but figured since I am building a new machine now I would upgrade to the fastest. I only care about DVDs for now, but if I can get a Blu-ray rom drive that is within 10% of the fastest DVD ripper, I wil opt for that instead.

Here are the specs on my new machine:
Intel Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-EP45-SD3R mobo
LG GGW-H20L blu-ray burner
Rip software: AnyDVD HD and DVDFab Platinum

Thanks in advance and let me know if I should post this elsewhere… I could not find anything in the hardware section that was purely for ripping.

Depends mainly on the source media, but overall consider a Samsung 2xx or Liteon.

[QUOTE=mulox;2229407]I know there are many factors that contribute to ripping, but with all things equal (PC mobo, cpu, ripping software, etc.) what is the fastest dvd ripper out on the market today?[/QUOTE]

The absolute fastest ripper would be a 22x Samsung with riplock removed firmware.

Second to that would be a 22x Lite-On.

Thanks guys. So for Samsung, is it the model: TS-H653F like this one:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BLK-TS-H653F-DO&cpc=SCH

So which 22x Samsung drive is the one to get? Are there any risks or disadvantages to removing riplock? If I don’t remove riplock, are these Samsung drives the same speed as the 22x Lite-on?

I see TS-H635F on geeks.com, and 3 different models on the Samsung site like the SH-S223Q/BEBD and a SH-S223Q-BEBN and a SH-S223F/BEBN

Ok, so I just picked up a SH-223Q-OEM on Newegg… now where can I find this riplock remover and how much time will it actually save me on a standard single-layer DVD rip?

Good choice, I have 2 of them and I love them, fast rippers and good burners, not great burners but good enough. You can find the firmware patcher in the Samsung Burner forum here on CDF.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/patch-utility-samsung-mtk-based-dvd-writers-v3-4-7-new-242508/

You need the Samsung Patch utility u can find it at the Samsung DVD forum or from C0deKing’s sig. But first read up on how to use the utility. U can save about 30 seconds on a SL disc and it will rip a Dl disc @16x:bow:
oops alan beat me to it.

Thanks for the quick response guys. I could care less about burner performance, this drive will be a dedicated ripper, so will probably never use it to burn anything. 30 seconds is good I guess, better than nothing. I am finally retiring an old Samsung SM-352B (16x read) combo drive which has served me well as a good ripping drive for about 5 years now.

If you are aware of anything faster for ripping, even if it’s just a DVD-rom drive, please let me know.