What is the expected lifetime of a CDR?

vbimport

Hi all,

I have a Philips CDR (blue) wich is about 4 or 5 years and can't be read any more.
Event tried with a old 4x reader with no luck.
Is this normal ?
What is the expected lifetime of a CDR ?
I must say it was stocked in a paper sleeve(dustfree do), maybe thats what caused the malfunction.
And what is the expected lifetime of a pressed CD ?
I'v read in the past, 50 years, but dunno if this is true.

Take a look here… http://www.cd-info.com/CDIC/Technology/CD-R/Media/Longevity.html

I’ve seen reported life-span of CDR’s as between 50 and 150 years. I’ve also got some old CD’s that are virtually unused, unscratched and unreadable.

I think it’s worth mentioning that my oldest CDR is over 5 years, it’s scratched and has been shared with friends etc (shhh) and it’s perfect. It’s a TDK :slight_smile:

ATIP: 97m 32s 00f
Disc Manufacturer: TDK Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 652.29MB (74m 15s 00f / LBA: 333975)

CD’s are sensitive to humidity, heat and most other things that exists in our nice world.
Some manufacturers claim their media will last 300 years, others 100 years, some don’t give a date.
But it all comes down to how you store them, of course the quality is also a factor but storage even more important.
I store my old CD-R’s in a case, and I store that case in a nice and cool place.
I still have not experienced any bad discs from that case (they are 3-4 years).
On the other hand I have a few CD’s that I forgot on my desktop last summer, they don’t even look like CD’s longer… :slight_smile: