What is the difference between WriteMaster™ SH-224DB and WriteMaster™ SH-224FB?

What is the difference between WriteMaster™ SH-224DB and WriteMaster™ SH-224FB?

Well, they are both masters. For/At writing, and probably also ReadMaster™s.

Samsung SH-224FB - MediaTek MT1862N, OPU Optis PH-W24JM
Samsung SH-224DB - MediaTek MT1809LN, OPU Optis PH-W24M

I see.
And what is their functional difference?

For me the biggest difference in the real world between the two of them is how they handle writing to media.
I own the 224FB and have really good results writing to RITEK F1 DVD-R - the only decent quality media that is easily and cheaply available where I live. I use it more regularly to burn DVDs than I’m using my Pioneer BDR-209EBK.

Some people from this forum own the 224DB variant and they have really bad results writing to Ritek DVD media.

The 224FB handles cheap, old and sun faded/degraded Princo CD-R media with ease.

I’m thinking on getting second one - 14 EUR for such drive is real bargain.

Excellent price! How is that possible?
The LG BE16NU50 and Pioneer BDR-211UBK cost over €100. Much more expensive.

What are known hardware differences?

Both LG BE16NU50 and Pioneer BDR-211UBK are BDXL blu ray writers. Samsung 224FB is simple internal DVD writer + DVD is mature technology so prices go down.

Like Samsung Galaxy S3.
€620(GT-i9305)/€600(GT-i9300) first, then €400, €250 and now €170.

Yep, that´s right. The 224DB is not bad, especially with DL-media, but newer 224GB (don´t own a FB) seems to like also RitekF1-media well

I wonder how long Samsung-drives will be available, AFAIK Samsung stopped producing drives in 2016

They STOPPED? Too bad.
Gladly, Pioneer and HL are still producing.

I hate, how things get unavailable.

Samsung want to be the market leader in everything they produce, and failed with ODD and HDD, so they give up. In ODD-market also not profit, so many manufacturers gave up, like Plextor, Sony/NEC/Optiarc, BTC, Philips, Benq, Cyberdrive, Mitsumi, Sanyo, Ricoh, Teac etc

Actual producers are:

1. LG
  2. Liteon (gave up BD-R)
  3. Pioneer (only BD-R)
  4. QSI (Pioneer DVD-drives)
  5. Panasonic (I guess only slimtype)

Why have they all given up?

LG has a crap firmware probably. But the BU20 had the best possible error correction.

However, LG stock firmwares have no or restricted C1/C2/PIE/PIF tests. I also miss things like HD-BURN, DDCD(purple book), E11,E21,E31,E21,E22,E32,manual CAV/CLV/ZCLV/PCAV settings.

Jamless play must only skip sectors, if hardware error correction is enabled.
I do not want the same problem CDDA/(S)VCDs have onto DVDs, which is no guaranteed data integrity.

To much competitors, less profit, decreased sale figures. The biggest survive, LG and Liteon. Pioneer maybe let produce QSI also for BD-drives, but still make his own designs. Maybe because Pioneer and Panasonic also big ones in the BD-standalone market

I remember my Plextor 12x CD-RW-writer costs about 600DM (more than 300€) in year 2000, today a DVD-writer start at 11€

I mostly use Liteon-drives for reading DVD and Pioneer-drives for BD-R, so I can´t say much about LGs read-skills.

But LGs DVD-writer have very good writing-quality, cheap and easy to get

HD-Burn and Gigarec are dead long time ago, made no sense because of compatibilty and because of DVD-drives.

Tell me other drives with this settings. Only old Benq-drives can report this error-rates and have selectable read-settings. Maybe some old Plextors, to, bad that was also long time ago.

A custom firmware could enable features such as extended error tests.

I wonder, why the giant TSST gave up.

In my opinion, all kinds of space storage deserve a place.
But optical media was recnetly improperly marketed, so people partially lost the understanding in how useful it is.
The same could have happened to SSD, but SSD was heavily marketed. It is marketed as if it is the only thing. Especially by Samsung.
SSDs are good for portable computers due to speed, power efficiency and robustness, but not for archival storage (HDD and ODD win here, because flash storage transistors can leak, especially at high data densities). Additionally, SD cards win in cameras and MicroSD in mobile phones (UFS cards soon?) because of compact size and unified shapes. USB sticks are supported everywhere. A computer has multiple ports at least.

See,
There is no such supreme storage technology, because each and every kind of storage technology has it’s individual type of storage has it’s own individual purpose. They should just share the consumer market like DVD-R and DVD+R, unlike HD-DVD, which was kicked out by BD due to improper approach of marketing.
Floppy disks are actually obsolete… Oh, they can still serve purposes and be utilized to store confidential documents, because they are supported nearly nowhere these days, have slow reading speeds, and can be destroyed by water and erased by magnets instantly. Ah yes, true hardware write protection switch unlike MicroSD.

Additionally, no average consumer can afford 10TB of SSD, but eg. 10TB HDD Raid6 among bcache (open-source Linux software) and two 512GB SSDs. Power users and enthusiasts are the minority. We live in a world of Snapchat/DogFilter antisocial iTeenagers, who ruin society. (Nothing against animals).
And Hyun Yeul Lee, the ultimate minimalist, who loves devices, that do less, ruining Samsung in 2015 with her faux philosophy.

I imagine and wonder, how an aircraft’s cockpit designed by her would look like.

But I guess, that hardware capabilities are still preserved in new drives (ability to write CDs), so for experiments, a firmware hack could also enable them.

DVD-RAM high speed variants and CD-RW×32 UltraSpeed+Plus are also as good as gone, and rare on eBay, unfortunately.

The auto-saving feature of MyCE board software saved me twice today.

Chipset comparisons and differences?

This is also just a firmware thing, which could be enabled by costum firmwares.
Costum firmwares could also enable special things/features such as making use of WORM discs (+/-R) that were finalized before full. The spare space could be used to store some additional data when needed.

Well I like to talk about things which are exist :slight_smile:

In the past you could change some things with tools like MSCE, but not so much like you would have to.

I guess HDBurn and Gigarec died with the Sanyo-chipsets, and I don´t miss formats which are not universal compatible. And after DVD was released there´s no place for this.

Samsung has parts which brings profit, why should they manufacture ODDs with no profit? And like I said, Samsung don´t like to be anyone who makes something, they want to be No1, like SSDs and mobile phones

I also dislike proprietary formats/interfaces generally. One random example is MLP/PPCM for DVD-Audio. Or Apple Lightning, very infamous.

I just thought that DDCD/GigaRec/HDburn could be reverse-engineered somehow. DDCD even has purple, it’s own rainbow book colour.

I see. Their disc drives were not bad, but they need to concentrate on mobile phones.
The lastest disc drive, and a very good one actually, I have from them, is the SE-208DB from 2014, an external, portable DVD writer, which works efficient and handles errors very well. It did cost around €30 in 2014.

Samsung also wants to climb up the hill of the TV market.

It´s a pity, last 224-drives from Samsung were their best ones IMHO. My portable slim-drive SE-506BB is not good at all, my Panasonics and Pioneers are much better in writing-quality. When it comes to BD, I don´t will miss Samsung.

But I ask myself, which drives Samsung now use in their standalones?

Samsung was some years No1 in TV, but lost it at 2016 to LG, maybe because LG pushes OLED, Samsung tried QLED.

Nobody will reverse engeneer HDBurn, it makes no sense