What is the difference between these: LTR-48126S, LTR-48125W and LTR-48125S?

The Lite-On LTR-48126S, LTR-48125W and LTR-48125S. They are all the same speed (48x12x48). Why so many product numbers? :confused:

Thanks

Different chipset and flash memory. That makes them not exactly identical, so LiteOn gives them different model numbers.
They function all the same and is 99% the same drive (except for 48126S which is newer and can be turned into a 52x).

Perhaps this helps:
http://www.liteonit.com.tw/english-product.htm#CD-RW

48X/12X/48X CD-RW DRIVE (LTR48125S / LTR-48125W / LTR-48126S)

Question on LTR-48125x

Lite-On 48125S to 48125W

Difference between Liteon LTR-48125S and LTR-48125W

LTR-40125S or LTR-40125W

You could have found all that had you used our search… (answers at least the larger part of your question)

Originally posted by CyberPlex
[B]The Lite-On LTR-48126S, LTR-48125W and LTR-48125S. They are all the same speed (48x12x48). Why so many product numbers? :confused:

Thanks [/B]

LTR-48126S - based on Mediatek 6 series chipset. Can be overclocked to 52x CD-R burn speed and 24x RW burn speed.

LTR-48125W - Older Mediatek 5 series chipset. Cannot be overclocked further. Uses Winbond flash memory.

LTR-48125S - Older Mediatek 5 series chipset. Cannot be overclocked further. Uses ST Electronics flash memory.

Originally posted by darshanjog
[B]

LTR-48126S - based on Mediatek 6 series chipset. Can be overclocked to 52x (and probably 24x RW)

[/B]

Not probably 24x RW, but definitely!

Originally posted by Jovo
[B]

Not probably 24x RW, but definitely! [/B]

Thanks for the info.

I have updated my post.:bigsmile:

Hey… I’ve heard that the Mediatek 5 and 6 series thing is a fallacy, actually it means that Lite-On has made the 48125W as their 5th generation design and the 48126s as their 6th generation design
Is that true?

Originally posted by darshanjog
[B]LTR-48125W - Older Mediatek 5 series chipset. Cannot be overclocked further. Uses Winbond flash memory.

LTR-48125S - Older Mediatek 5 series chipset. Cannot be overclocked further.

Uses some other company’s flash memory. I had read the name but, forgot.:bigsmile: [/B]

It is ST Electronics.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]

It is ST Electronics. [/B]

Thanx. :bigsmile: Updated my post.

Originally posted by Bhairav
Hey… I’ve heard that the Mediatek 5 and 6 series thing is a fallacy, actually it means that Lite-On has made the 48125W as their 5th generation design and the 48126s as their 6th generation design
Is that true?

It is true. Many people have successfully overclocked their burners to 52x24x52x which are based on the Meditek 6 series chipset.

even pps1111 had overclocked his Sony 48x (whichi is based on 6 series Mediatek chipset) to a 52x.

Just search around a bit. Lots people have done this.:bigsmile:

It is true. Many people have successfully overclocked their burners to 52x24x52x which are based on the Meditek 6 series chipset.

No dude, I meant that because Lite-On have called their drives the 48125 and 48126 etc, they mean that the respective drives are the 5th generation and 6th generation drives respectively. Each drive of the same generation uses the same chipset, but not necessarily the Mediatek 5 and 6.
I know about PPS111… saw that post.

:slight_smile:

UPDATE: Just got a pm back from Ian at cdrlabs.com, stating that the above is true, Lite-On use the ‘generation’ naming scheme and not necessarily the Mediatek chipset numbers.

Base on your replies, it would be better if I flash my 40125s to 48125s ?

Originally posted by Chobits
Base on your replies, it would be better if I flash my 40125s to 48125s ?

48125s & 48125W is same hardware as I said before. Difference is only Flash memory.

I had bought a 48125W but it was a faulty piece so I gave it back for replacement. They gave me 48125S in return. Now, this burner rocks.

It is better if you flash it to 48125S as yours is a 40125S & not 40125W.

So, if the drives are named on the ‘generation’ system, and not the chip they use, then is it possible to overclock a 48125W to a 52246S? I would just cream my pants if this is possible…

48125W to a 52246S? No

Care to back that up with some facts that it can’t be overclocked?

Originally posted by merkaba
Care to back that up with some facts that it can’t be overclocked?

Rather than getting someone to reiterate all the reasons why you cannot overclock, at least at present, a 48125W to a 52246S, why don’t you give us some facts to indicate that you can.

I have seen where people say it cannot be overclocked because the next step up uses the 6 series chip, but this is not true. The last number in the naming convention used by LiteON is the generation of the drive, and does not necessairly correspond to the chip within.

and… If I had facts of why you could overclock, then why the hell would I ask? I need any information I can get, provided that they can be proved to an extent.

I have seen where people say it cannot be overclocked because the next step up uses the 6 series chip, but this is not true. The last number in the naming convention used by LiteON is the generation of the drive, and does not necessairly correspond to the chip within.

Jovo is right. You can’t flash,cos the chip is the same, just not necessarily the Mediatek 6th gen chip
Tell you what… give the flash a go, let us know, and then post in Alexnoe’s DEAD FLASH RECOVERED LITEON thread
:wink:

Ok, jovo didn’t say anything, so how could he be right? I understand that it can’t be done, I’m just wondering why.