What is the difference between SSD and HDD?

vbimport

I just posted the article What is the difference between SSD and HDD?.

[quote][/quote]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/article/what-is-the-difference-between-ssd-and-hdd-21372/](http://www.myce.com/article/what-is-the-difference-between-ssd-and-hdd-21372/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Hi :slight_smile:
Whilst I can see where you are going.
(Good article BTW :clap: :bow: )
I still cannot see that buying SSD currently makes sense.
If you buy several HDD’s & set up RAIDO.
(This may not be an option for those with limited storage space or restricted venting.)
Apart from the initial access/loading HDD’s will run rings round SSD.
(On cost basis. eg 1 SSD costs about the same as 2 HDD & that’s starting @ the bottom of the price ladder. A good performing SDD costs more like 4HDD’s.
RAID0 these 4 & compare with that single SSD.)
I know that isn’t a level playing field (like for like).
To get the very best out of SSD requires not only 2 or more drives.
But a separate controller costing @ £300+.
So maybe having 1 with the OS might show a bit of a change speed wise.
But despite what benchmarking might imply.
It is my experience that the “conventional” way is quicker (trans coding/encoding etc).
In a cost effective way.
Of course if you are “jolly rolling in the old money”, then you will just buy the best/fastest etc.
Another thing is that a lot of folk buying internal storage.
Are doing so to build media libraries.
So volume is very important.
As I said at the beginning can see where you are going.
I will follow.
Just not yet.

:slight_smile:
I’d bet a months wages that a single Vertex or Agility would be faster in the real world than any 2 HHD in RAID 0.
I’d bet a years wages than an Indilinx 2x SSD RAID 0 setup would beat any amount of HDD in RAID 0 (home PC), in both benchmarks and the real world, and without using an expensive hardware RAID card, which is no longer required for gen 2 SSD.

If anyone is upto the challenge of posting results on their HDD RAID0, feel free to post results.

[QUOTE=Dee;2458240]:slight_smile:
I’d bet a months wages that a single Vertex or Agility would be faster in the real world than any 2 HHD in RAID 0.
I’d bet a years wages than an Indilinx 2x SSD RAID 0 setup would beat any amount of HDD in RAID 0 (home PC), in both benchmarks and the real world, and without using an expensive hardware RAID card, which is no longer required for gen 2 SSD.

If anyone is upto the challenge of posting results on their HDD RAID0, feel free to post results.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
You are not considering cost here.
A single SSD shouldn’t be any quicker (apart from access) than 2 HDD’s RAID0.
That is if you believe real world PC benchmarks.
(Photoshop - DVDRebuilder for example.)
The cheapest likely option in SSD would cost around £250.
That’s 2 SSD RAIDO.
Yes, they would floor HDD’s all round.
But total storage would about 60 GB.
For £275, you can get 4 WD HDD’s (Black).
RAID0 - 4 TB - 5 year warranty.
Compare that to the SSD with only 2 year warranty.
For a difference of £25.
Well worth the “speed” sacrifice. To say nothing of available storage/ longer warranty.
But that’s my opinion.

At the moment, SSD drives are not about capacity, they are about speed. MLC based drives are all more or less targeted as a system drive, running an OS.
In this usage pattern, HDD is not in the same league at all, they don’t even come close, even in RAID 0.
In fact, even 4 HDD in RAID 0 won’t come close to a single gen 2 SSD when running let’s say, Vista or Windows 7.

For your amusement, here is what a couple of OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 can do.