What is the difference between DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs?

vbimport

I’ve noticed that Verbatim do rewriteable discs in both of these formats :slight_smile: Are they in the same as the DVD-R vs DVD+R formats, just in rewriteable?

A friend of mine sent me some DVD+RW, not sure what the technical differences were :slight_smile:

Yes, in practice it shouldn’t really make a difference.
(Maximum speed rating for DVD-RW is 6x, DVD+RW 8x. But you need appropriate media that is 8x or 6x rated, overspeeding is not possible.)

In theory, DVD+RW does support random rewrite similar to DVD-RAM, but I have never seen this feature actually being used.

[QUOTE=kg_evilboy;2619760]Yes, in practice it shouldn’t really make a difference.
(Maximum speed rating for DVD-RW is 6x, DVD+RW 8x. But you need appropriate media that is 8x or 6x rated, overspeeding is not possible.)

In theory, DVD+RW does support random rewrite similar to DVD-RAM, but I have never seen this feature actually being used.[/QUOTE]

Thanks :slight_smile: Well right now I’m using it to record on my DVD recorder before copying the contents onto the computer then reburning it onto a DVD+R, since I know many DVD recorders aren’t brilliant at supporting 16x media :frowning:

I have one standalone DVD player/recorder that only records to -R or -RW media.
The -RW’s are supposed to have more editable features on this unit but I have never used them .
This unit also has the -VR record mode .
You can read more about it here:

You might want to read Spath’s article supporting the superiority of the +RW format: http://www.myce.com/article/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW-203/

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2619779]You might want to read Spath’s article supporting the superiority of the +RW format: http://www.myce.com/article/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW-203/[/QUOTE]

Weird, that article doesn’t display properly for me in IE9.

There’s a huge gap and then article overlaps with the responses. :confused:

Like this.

Works okay in Firefox 9 though.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yeah, just have to use a [I]real [/I]browser. :bigsmile:

Same for me Wombler.
I usually use the “Google Siteopt Test Template”.
The link only has MyCE Beta .
If I could switch I bet it would display correctly.
Opera or FF no problem.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2619783]Yeah, just have to use a [I]real [/I]browser. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I do have both! :bigsmile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Fixed already by a friendly Senior Admin!

[B]Wombler[/B]

That’s why nobody uses IE anymore! :smiley:

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2619983]That’s why nobody uses IE anymore! :D[/QUOTE]

It wasn’t IE, it was an old article that hadn’t been processed properly for the new content management system. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

I still use IE most of the time .I have the other two just in case.

I don’t and I wont, except the time when I had to do MCSE studying. :-X

@Chad,

it’s no surprise that DVD+R is"superior" to DVD-R.
DVD-R was first (prior was DVD-RAM), then DVD-Rw arrived and then DVD+RW; DVD+R appeared as the last version of recordable single layer DVD media.

Hi, my name is Gwen and I don,t use the internet much looking for a site that I can buy +rw DVDs in bulk at a reasonable price wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a certain brand. I own a green screen business and if I use anything other than +rw then I have to format them and that takes time. And if this is a safe site? Thanks

[QUOTE=gwenlz;2674757]Hi, my name is Gwen and I don,t use the internet much looking for a site that I can buy +rw DVDs in bulk at a reasonable price wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a certain brand. I own a green screen business and if I use anything other than +rw then I have to format them and that takes time. And if this is a safe site? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Yo qwenlz-

This is a worldwide site - so it is important to know where y’all are located-eh!

Welcome to the forums Gwen.

Your question is different from the original one in this thread, and we can move your post into your own thread if you like. Let us know.

The three sites I normally recommend for our American members are more like retail outlets, rather than wholesale, so I’m not sure they can provide you the discount you want. Those sites are trustworthy, and are Rima.com, Supermediastore.com and Meritline.com.

We generally recommend Verbatim brand +RW discs, but they tend to be more expensive.