What is the differance IHAP422 and IHAP422-98 R

My IHAP 422 started smoking and shooting flames out the back of it. Took out the PSU and I think a couple ODs and Hard drives, MB too.
I ordered another from Newegg and it is labeled IHAP 422-98 R.
Is it the same? With same firmware.
I also ordered new MB, CPU, memory, and PSU

More likely the PSU failed first and took out all the other things. :wink:

Your new drive may be an iHAS422 9, which uses a different chipset and firmware, to the iHAS422 8.

Thanks CK. I guess I’ll have to wait till you get some firmware in place for the 9 series. I was hoping it was just a OEM vs Retail.

By the way both are IHAP 422 not sata if it makes a differance.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;2435199]My IHAP 422 started smoking and shooting flames out the back of it. Took out the PSU and I think a couple ODs and Hard drives, MB too.
I ordered another from Newegg and it is labeled IHAP 422-98 R.
Is it the same? With same firmware.
I also ordered new MB, CPU, memory, and PSU [/QUOTE]
In case anyone ends up reading this thread down the road like I just did:

The IHAP422-98 is a new LiteOn with the NEC chipset
The IHAP422-08 is a classic LiteOn with a Mediatek chipset

I think only the 24x iHAS (SATA) drives have the variation between the NEC and MTK chipsets. The 22x iHAP (PATA) drives had different MTK chipset versions, 8 and 9. So the iHAP422 9 is still a MTK chipset, but just a revised version of the iHAP422 8 MTK chipset.

Newegg seems to list the revised version with a “-98” whereas the original versions were “-04, -06”.

Yes, but there are PATA drives with the -98 designation, so what does THAT mean if not NEC?

Thanks for the help guys, but I think Ssseth hit the nail on the head. I also ordered a IHAS 324 09 and it is just like my 7240 except there is no Liggy bitsetting firmware for (yet).

[QUOTE=negritude;2473319]Yes, but there are PATA drives with the -98 designation, so what does THAT mean if not NEC?[/QUOTE]

THAT could still be MTK revised chipset just for the PATA-type drives. IIRC, Optiarc-NEC bypassed the entire 22x drive and went straight to 24x from 20x. The 7220S and 7221S were LO clones. Is it really unfathomable to think that “-98” designation is just an alternate/revised moniker irregardless of what chipset it has?

[QUOTE=KTL;2473570]THAT could still be MTK revised chipset just for the PATA-type drives. IIRC, Optiarc-NEC bypassed the entire 22x drive and went straight to 24x from 20x. The 7220S and 7221S were LO clones. Is it really unfathomable to think that “-98” designation is just an alternate/revised moniker irregardless of what chipset it has?[/QUOTE]

Good point. Sheesh, Lite-On is really trying to make things difficult for us 'freaks. :sad: