What is the best way to store DVD+R and CD-R

vbimport

Hi

I’ve just bought my first cakeboxes and so now need to figure out how to store my burned discs (DVD+R and CD-R). I assume vertical (standard advice with audio optical discs) but should they be in paper sleeves, in jewel cases etc etc? Also, can anyone suggest a source of good storage products, whether these be paper sleeves or some other type, please?

I’m in the west of the UK so no issues with high heat high humidity combo. Mainly it is moderate temperatures and mid to high humidity. Can’t imagine the discs ever being below 1C, even if kept in a storage area.

Sorry if there is already a thread on this. Search isn’t working for me right now.

Many thanks.

Storing them in spindles or cakeboxes is fine. If you want to protect them further, then you might want to consider Jewel cases, Slim cases or DVD cases.

Many thanks Soneman. I think I’ll need to decide how many discs I need easy to hand then before sorting this out. May end up being the good old fashioned jewel case …

Optimally, proper DVD or CD case (DVD for DVD/CD for CD) is best, stored vertically, though other storage containers can be ok (at least for medium term). Depends on practical considerations and how much you value the contents.

A friend of mine stored his discs in the wallet type devices. I can recommend sleeves/wallets to NO ONE. After about a year, every disk was scathed in about 20+ areas. The humidity is also something to worry about for the long term. Above 50%, they can start to rot.

I keep mine in jewel cases in a room that never drops below 50F at 25% humidity.

Does anyone know if introducing newly purchased blank media to subzero temperature can damage the discs? If they’re still sealed, there shouldn’t be too much humidity/moisture to cause cracking or damage, right? I only ask because I work at a Best Buy in the upper Midwest, and EVERYTHING that comes off those trucks is frozen.

many thanks folks.

by “proper CD/DVD cases” do you mean jewel cases please tlo?

and by wallets do you mean those carboard slip cases that music stores use, and the plastic equivalents like pc equipment manufacturers often use to ship discs please adre? i was thinking that buying a cakebox was a sensible way to minimise space requirements and avoid buying unnecessary jewel boxes, plus being more environmentally friendly, but i guess not :doh: .

re humidity adre, i live in a part of the u.k. where the humidity probably never goes below 50%. i checked some online forecasts for today and the figures are just above or below 80% all the time. i think this is normal here. certainly today feels no drier than any other day.

i haven’t noticed any cds i’ve burned going bad, but then i don’t copy from the regularly and have not had a quality checker until the plextools that came with my new plextor drive.

mainly this doesn’t concern me too much though. if the discs are stable for 10 years i would be extremely happy, 5 years would almost certainly suffice, even 3 years would probably suffice. basically, i don’t see cd or dvd as a long term or primary archive solution. i’m very definitely hdd based, and assume that holo storage will finally be available for private bods at reasonable prices within 10 years max.

i’d better start shopping …

I’m not TLO :P, but proper cases would include jewel cases and DVD ‘snap’ cases that DVDs are normally sold in. I prefer slim jewel cases myself and use them for most of my media now.

DVD Case:

http://www.gordoncross.com/images/dvd6_case.jpg

Jewel Case:

Slim Case:

http://www.rcsystem.hu/kep/CD-SLIM-BLACK.JPG

There are some Slim DVD Cases available but they’re quite rare to find. The three cases above are the most common type of cases you can buy for CD/DVD media storage purposes.

CD/DVD wallets are usually made from a synthetic plastic. PC manufacturers however, supply their installation CDs in paper or cardboard sleeves.

I do agree with your comment regarding cakeboxes though. :iagree: I tend to keep all of my old CDs and DVDs inside a spindle/cakebox to save space and after months and years of not touching them, I still haven’t encountered any issues with readability. :disagree:

I’ve found that all kinds of “slim” jewel cases sold in my country are of very bad quality (very thin and cracks easily) and getting discs out would cause the data side to touch the cases .
On the other hand full sized jewel cases are hard and leaves enough room between it and the data side of the discs , I sometimes put 2 discs (data sides facing each other) in one jewel case .

Radio Shack here has full size and slim jewel cases (Memorex IIRC) but I think they cost more than media itself per one :slight_smile:

No problems with my slim jewel cases here in the U.S., most of those that I’ve bought are from Staples. Incidentally I read from another user today that said that slim jewel cases were poor quality where they were at as well, it was somewhere in Europe. The ones I have don’t touch the discs and discs are easy to remove, especially when I figure out the best way to do it - basically I’m pushing the cases out and off of the discs from the center rather than pulling on the disc at all.

many thanks all :slight_smile: . much appreciated!

i have a few spare regular and slim placcie cases lying around and will do a quick test using these. thinking of taking my test discs, putting them in the case, then opening/closing/inserting/removing etc a few times and re-scanning. will try with a full case first, then a slim case. finally, a few bends with the disc in a slim case, to see if this has an effect. i figure 10-20 minutes of handling the disc and a couple of hours of scans (my scanner being plextor) should be alright :slight_smile: .

re the install discs etc, i reckon that maybe one third of the discs i’ve got came in clear, squared off plastic sleeves, one third in the whitish plastic/paper sleeves (tyvek perhaps?) with a window for the label centre, and one third in the style that microsoft uses.

i’m a little surprised that there isn’t more discussion on storage methods and conditions in cdfreaks. i used to be into hi-fi a lot and storage was always a big issue in that sphere. people looking for lowest static, low abrasion materials, low leach materials etc etc.

anyway, will post some results when i have them. hopefully later this week.

I just purchased some slim DVD cases made by Memorex (first time) from Radio Shack yesterday and they look like they may be just the ticket!
Few days B4, I picked up some thin CD/DVD storage made by Philips (first time) and I had one heck of a time getting my discs out of them. No wonder they were on sale.
I hesitated about the DVD ones because of the length, material etc. but LOVE the fact you can slip a Title card in between the cover and case like looseleaf notebooks have.
I may just replace ALL my hard plastic ones with the new DVD ones.

I store all of my DVDs in large(250+) CD/DVD Binders. Are these really bad? I have had some in them for a year or two.

I store my DVDs in a DIY drybox. :wink:

The temp is pretty high since I live in a tropical country but there’s nothing much I can do about it (short of putting it in some airconditioned room).

Well, at least you’ve adapted to your surroundings. :wink:

Seriously though, have you had any problems with those discs? 28 degrees is quite a high temperature for storing CDs and DVDs.

Slim DVD cases… got some from BJ’s Wholesale Club (sorry you need to be a member) and they sold them in 25 packs for cheap and they work great. So I’m sure you can get them in bulk at any of the wholesale competitors (costco, sam’s club, etc)

so if you’re finding a hard time with those, i’d just find someone with a membership and ask them to get it for you.

Not really, I have yet to encounter a disc that could not be read. The ambient temperature here actually hits 30+ Celsius pretty easily, especially during summertime, but the discs seem to tolerate it. They’re mostly CMC with a sprinkling of other brands like Ricoh, Verbatim, Sony, and Benq.

With regard to humidity, that was my greatest concern since tropical countries are essentially a combination of high temperature & high humidity. During the rainy season, the RH easily hits 80-100% as evidenced by mold growth everywhere. I was reading the Memorex whitepapers and encountered the suggested 35% RH for archival discs, so I keep the humidity in the box within several percent of this value.

I used to store some of my DVDs in old slim CD cases until I read that the sizes of the central hole in the discs were actually different. :doh: Since the one for DVDs were slightly smaller, using CD cases could place undue stress on the hole and lead to cracking of the hub. I promptly moved the discs to a disc wallet, and sometime later ended up as above.

This is what I LOVE!
If you like to make labels.
DVD cases.