What is the best type of data recovery software?

vbimport

What is the best type of data recovery software?
I’m looking for the best data recovery software for both NTFS and FAT hard drives.
I’m happy to pay as much as necessary for the product; I just want to make sure I get one that is reliable and worth the money.
Many thanks in advance.

Hi boinkenn, welcome here!

I can recommend Isobuster. It well known software that isn’t really expensive. The author often updates the software and provides excellent support.

[QUOTE=boinkenn;2690191]What is the best type of data recovery software?
I’m looking for the best data recovery software for both NTFS and FAT hard drives.
I’m happy to pay as much as necessary for the product; I just want to make sure I get one that is reliable and worth the money.
Many thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I say take a look at Active Undelete I used it and it work and recovered a 7.9G movie file I delete by accident back. But one must take note if you plan to recover that lost sector you shouldn’t be writing to it as well to really insure you can recover the lost files or data back. And work for both NTFS and FAT.

I always preferred getdataback (not free from Runtime) but had a lot of positive feedback about recuva (freeware from piriform)

[QUOTE=xtacydima;2690220]I always preferred getdataback (not free from Runtime) but had a lot of positive feedback about recuva (freeware from piriform)[/QUOTE]
I’ve also had very good experience with GetDataBack. I originally purchased the NTFS version a few years ago to recover someone’s hard disk that wouldn’t mount and which chkdsk refused to run on. I later bought the FAT32 upgrade to recover a damaged memory card which I wasn’t able to recover with the freeware tools.

Unlike many commercial products, GetDataBack does not restrict the number of drives or GB that that can be recovered. For example, I remember one product that charged per GB of recovered data. :eek:

Recuva and Testdisk are the two best freeware tools I’m aware of and before getting GetDataBack, I’ve recovered quite a lot of data with these two, especially on memory cards. They have improved quite a lot in recent years and have extra functionality such as recovering data from deleted partitions, so definitely worth a try.

[QUOTE=Seán;2690231] I later bought the FAT32 upgrade to recover a damaged memory card which I wasn’t unable to recover with the freeware tools.
[/QUOTE] So… do I misunderstand you incorrectly if I don’t say that you did not write you were not unable to not recover data??? :confused:

^ Typo corrected

I used Getdata before but found it had problems finding files close to 8gig big video files and my search found Active Undelete which the registered version could find and undelete large files memory stick and hard drives. Which was a saver for me. I tried recover but that had issues finding large files and getdata was too cumbersome to use to find the deleted files.

Use Kernel for Windows Data Recovery software to recover lost or deleted data. I have used it before with success in the past when i accidentally formatted the wrong partition but this software saved me and recovered all data efficiently.

For Windows XP, I like PC Inspector File Recovery. For Vista, Seven or Eight, I recommend Glarysoft Undelete, PC Inspector gives Data Execution Prevention errors on these OS’s. Also, I’ve had problems with Glarysoft on XP, although I can’t remember exactly what went wrong.