What is the best Standalone DVD Burner for Movies?

vbimport

I’ve been using a Sony DRU-840A burner and usually get pretty good results with Sony blank DVD’s from Costco or Taiyo Yuden waterproof discs.

I’m using Slysoft’s software products for ripping and burning, but occasionally get defective burns and erratic testing using Nero Diskspeed.

I’m beginning to think part of the problem might be my burner.

Any advise on what best out there?

tomlowe

[QUOTE=tomlowe;2460989]I’ve been using a Sony DRU-840A burner and usually get pretty good results with Sony blank DVD’s from Costco or Taiyo Yuden waterproof discs.

I’m using Slysoft’s software products for ripping and burning, but occasionally get defective burns and erratic testing using Nero Diskspeed.

I’m beginning to think part of the problem might be my burner.

Any advise on what best out there?

tomlowe[/QUOTE]

Can you be more exact as to which product? Those bad buirns are not result of the software but of the media and mulititasking when you shouldn’t when burning. Also you need to make sure you drive it firmware updated and never burn more then half the rated speed. If you follow those safety steps and still get bad burns. Take the burner out and place into another computer and burn with it and see what happens for end result. Usually Verbatim media is the choice to go if your having media burn problems. How old is your burner? It could be that it’s running towards it’s end of lifespan usage?

There is a modified firmware by Codeking here on the forum, Link. Make sure you get the firmware that has the name of your drive next to it.

I would also limit your burn speed to 12x.

I’ve been using Taiyo Yuden Watershield glossy white 16X DVD-R’s
and Sony AccuCORE Printable DVD-R’s. I’ve been burning at 8X and my firmware is up-to-date according to Sony.