What is the Best Media Player?

What is the Best Media Player?

PowerDVD or WinDVD?

any feedback on the best media player, I hate wmp. I am looking for alternative.
thanks.

Probably not Window MEdia Player…depends on what u wanna play Power DVD best for playing DV D etc

I have found no single solution.

I prefer Music Match 7.5 for MP3’s (though Itunes is a decent 2nd) and WinDVD version 5 for playing DVD’s.

For AVI’s and MOV’s, I use WMP 10 in the Corporate skin and only use it for video playback. Same thing with Quicktime. Only to play back the MOV’s - nothing more.

Don’t know what else to do / use, I guess.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Media_Player_Classic.htm

Media Player Classic 6.4.9 for DVDs, CDs. It’s free with lots of options and plays lots of types of files – even reads CD text from CDs.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

Foobar for MP3s, .cue files, .wav. I prefer v8.3 (see all versions under “Change Log” on home page).

Anything that is ad-ware free is generally good.

VLC Media Player… fast, stable, and…what’s that? No need to F*!# around downloading codec’s like WMP? Ahhhhh life is good:

Download VLC

There is likely no single player as an overall solution, but I would say using the K-Lite Mega codec Pack is probably the closest you can come to this as it turns WMP Classic version into a player for just about every media type out there.

It is also a nice replacement/alternative for intrusive software that throw themselves everywhere into startup and fight for ownership of file associations such as Quicktime, RealPlayer… etc…

Further it is fast and opens in less than a second in even very old PC systems.
But the best part is of course that it is completely free, no popups, banners, nothing annoying added to its install.

and here’s the link:

www.k-litemegacodecpack.com/

Be sure to read the FAQ about the QuickTime and Realplayer alternatives. If you have these (with I-tunes) on your system you have to do some uninstall/install routines.

For audio files, I’ve been using QCD for a long time. Suits my needs very well - free also. :slight_smile:

So far I like GOMplayer and Vlc player

Sonic Cine Player :smiley:

if you are going for sound file media player then I suggest Foobar2000, its the best by far =) and completely free. Amazing program.
Ive never seen any player use such little CPU usage and have the freedom to install all these cool DSP’s and integrate replaygain technology at the same time.
The most customizeable player also. Also can write custom scripts to change the UI and song handling techniques.
Its like a media player sandbox for people that love to tweak things.

Do you know what The Kmplayer is? (Not be confused with kmplayer). The KMPlayer is a video and audio player for Windows which can play a large number of formats such as VCD, DVD, AVI, MPEG-1/2/4, WMV, RealMedia, and QuickTime among others. It handles subtitles and allows you to capture screenshots. This player keeps internal and external filters with a fully controlled environment.

One interesting facts: these filters are not registered with user’s system, and the setting of player can be written to a file, instead of registry.

One day, I need to watch one of Real Media movie, but I do not have any video codec in the computer and I can not install any program. So, I try to find any portable player and I find this player.

Here is the interesting feature that I like from this player:

1. It is completely customizable thanks to a wide selection of skins and color schemes, and the configuration options are extensive.
  2. It support wide range of formats, either video or audio.
  3. It can be used to play streaming video or broken video files.
  4. It handles a wide range of subtitles and allows you to capture audio, video, and screenshots.

http://www.hadip.com/node/13

I would recomend this KMPlayer
I’ve used MPC, VLC, Gom, BSPlayer but so far this is the one that I prefer.

And a small tip, when you start using it, turn off advanced menu from options. I’ts much easier to learn it this way, than you can turn it back on.

Meh, I use Itunes. Windows media player needs to be rung out to dry.

I think a little explanition is needed.

99% of all “media players” (for Windows that is) relies on DirectShow which is a backend for codecs and decoders to work against. PowerDVD, WinDVD, Windows Media Players, Zoomplayer, BSPlayer, MPC etc all use DirectShow meaning that they’re just frontends.

mplayer (not to confuse with MPC or WMP), VLC and KMPlayer all use builtin decoders which has both advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that they’re a all-in-one solution meaning that everything is included. Downside is that no other applications cant make use of its decoder(s) meaning that you still need to install a proper decoder for DirectShow if you want to convert a file to another format (unless you use VLC or mencoder to convert). Since they’re builded with decoders you often have to wait quite a while before a new stable release is out meaning that files using new formats may work poorly or not at all.

I would also warn users for K-Lite Mega Codec pack, basicly its utter shit. It installs decoders incorrectly, several decoders which do exactly the same thing and on top of that often old versions. At least go for CCCP if you want a decent codec pack that’s widely used.
I personally have my own developed “codec pack” that weights 5.39Mb using 7z, compare that to K-lite :wink:
//Danne

GOM player…the best

In Windows?
VLC

In OS X?
VLC

In Unix?
VLC

Hum… =P

I actually prefer mplayer in OSX
//Danne

Another vote for VLC, Although I am going to give Kmplayer a shot.