What is the best inexpensive Auto CD/DVD printer?

I’d like to draw on the experiences of others who have purchased automated CD/DVD inkjet printers to find opinions on what make and model is the most reliable, and least expensive to purchase, operate, and maintain?
I am considering a Recordex StudioJet 50 printer which is sold under different names and uses standard HP ink cartridges. Has anyone had any experience with this model?
Thanks for any enlightenment on the subject. :confused:

[quote=David40;2260161]I’d like to draw on the experiences of others who have purchased automated CD/DVD inkjet printers to find opinions on what make and model is the most reliable, and least expensive to purchase, operate, and maintain?
I am considering a Recordex StudioJet 50 printer which is sold under different names and uses standard HP ink cartridges. Has anyone had any experience with this model?
Thanks for any enlightenment on the subject. :confused:[/quote]
Take a look at this thread
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/printing-ty-aquashiled-267773/ before you buy a disc printer that uses HP ink. Doesn’t seem to be the best choice for disc printing.

I read that thread and I’m checking it out. The problem seems to be related to the black ink which is pigment based. Surprisingly the colors use a dye based ink. I am trying to find out why they use mixed types. I’m waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. I would think this could be easily fixed by switching to a dye based black ink. I know you can get the CIS for the Epson in either pigment or dye. I’ll let you know what I find out.
From what I have read so far the StudioJet is built like a tank and I like that.

[quote=David40;2260974]I read that thread and I’m checking it out. The problem seems to be related to the black ink which is pigment based. Surprisingly the colors use a dye based ink. I am trying to find out why they use mixed types. I’m waiting to hear back from the manufacturer. I would think this could be easily fixed by switching to a dye based black ink. I know you can get the CIS for the Epson in either pigment or dye. I’ll let you know what I find out.
From what I have read so far the StudioJet is built like a tank and I like that.[/quote]
Truth is, we don’t know for sure if it was Vivera pigment or dye black causing the problem w/ watershield’s. Seemed like pigment black was a reasonable explaination. I tried contacting Microboards about which black they are using. Never responded. Let us know what you learn. If they are using pigment, you may have to refill it w/ dye yourself. Some of these auto printers don’t appear to have any non-oem carts available. Or you could avoid Watershields(that would be difficult for me :)).

Yeah, that’s what the CIS company told me. They said their goal was to copy the model of the HP OEM cartridges exactly, which use the mixed ink types. But he did say that I could replace the ink with a universal dye based set.
Also, prior to this, I was looking into a large format printer to do printing on vinyl for stickers, and vehicle wraps. The printer I was looking at is an HP with UV dried inks, but the guy told me I would have to seal the vinyl or coat it because the black ink would just wash off. At the time I thought that was very strange because I never heard of a UV dried ink that was not waterproof. Turns out it’s the same thing, they use a pigment ink on the black and dye on the colors. Apparently they do that on all their printers. I’d really like to know why HP did such a stupid thing. :frowning:

[quote=David40;2261076]Yeah, that’s what the CIS company told me. They said their goal was to copy the model of the HP OEM cartridges exactly, which use the mixed ink types. But he did say that I could replace the ink with a universal dye based set.
Also, prior to this, I was looking into a large format printer to do printing on vinyl for stickers, and vehicle wraps. The printer I was looking at is an HP with UV dried inks, but the guy told me I would have to seal the vinyl or coat it because the black ink would just wash off. At the time I thought that was very strange because I never heard of a UV dried ink that was not waterproof. Turns out it’s the same thing, they use a pigment ink on the black and dye on the colors. Apparently they do that on all their printers. I’d really like to know why HP did such a stupid thing. :([/quote]
Amazing, isn’t it. You’d think they would choose dye black for good results on text and color prints. Or include black pigment and dye carts in the printer as Canon does. Easy to see why auto cd printer manufacturers go with HP’s, printhead built into the cartridge, much lower cost to design and manufacture a printer around them. Sounds like you might be onto a workable solution, in spite of their stupidity :).

I don’t know what ink my old HP 990 uses for the black but it’s my favorite printer for just printing black text and color to regular paper, the text is really crisp and clean compared to my epsons usually. Is is pretty old now so maybe it doesn’t count against the HP’s you guys are talking about I spose.

Pigment ink would explain it. Pigment ink looks great and is considered superior, that’s why it’s more expensive and used for fine art prints, but it’s also not the slightest bit waterproof unless you coat it or laminate it. This is because it sets on the surface and does not penetrate into the pores of the media as a dye would.

We have a demo unit and it works very well. My recommendation to RecordexUSA was to go with the open HP cartridges instead of proprietary version. Considering the HP engine is used in just about every pro CD printer the Recordex StudioJet is an excellent buy. The watershield comments are true with any 2 ink printer. The silver inkjet version is a little worse in this regard. There are a couple of 4 ink printers out now, but only one standalone I know of (the Panther by Verity) Epson, Microboards and R-Quest have publishers that incorporate a 4 ink system. There are two versions of the Recordex StudioJet, a 50 disc version you mentioned and a 100 disc version. I like the 50 disc more (no hanging bins off the table).

*MB black ink used in most of the units: http://www.hp.com/oeminkjet/products/C8842A/overview.html

[QUOTE=David40;2260161]I’d like to draw on the experiences of others who have purchased automated CD/DVD inkjet printers to find opinions on what make and model is the most reliable, and least expensive to purchase, operate, and maintain?
Thanks for any enlightenment on the subject. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information. :smiley:

Well, I decided on a StudioJet 50 printer and ordered one. As far as my concerns about the ink, a company called Re-Inks.com sells refill kits for the HP 56 and 57 cartridges that this printer uses. The ink they use is made in the USA and supposedly exceeds the specs on the original HP ink. Plus the black is dye based instead of pigment which is what I want. The black kit comes with a cleaning solvent so I can either use up the HP ink or dump it, and then use the solvent to flush out the pigment ink before refilling with the dye ink. I should be able to refill this cartridge 5 or six times with the refill ink. This should bring down the already low cost of 10 cents per disc with the HP ink to about 2 cents a disk with the refill ink. That is a substantial savings over printers using proprietary ink cartridges.
I’ll keep you all posted on how this works out.
Thanks for all the advice.

[QUOTE=David40;2266257]Well, I decided on a StudioJet 50 printer and ordered one. As far as my concerns about the ink, a company called Re-Inks.com sells refill kits for the HP 56 and 57 cartridges that this printer uses. The ink they use is made in the USA and supposedly exceeds the specs on the original HP ink. Plus the black is dye based instead of pigment which is what I want.
I’ll keep you all posted on how this works out.
Thanks for all the advice.[/QUOTE]
Well done :clap:!
Please do post back if you’ve found a way to make these HP-based autoprinters work with Watershields. Appears there are others would like to be able to use the premier inkjet printables in their HP printers/autoprinters. Your smart research could help more than a few folks out there :bigsmile:.

Just wanted to give an update on the StudioJet printer. Overall I am please with it. Does a nice job and refilling the cartridges is easy. Not sure about the various inks on the Watershield discs because I don’t normally use those and I’m not going to buy some just to experiment with.
The only real problems I have with the Studiojet is the firmware. I tends to act erratically at times. Sometimes I will send a job to it to print and nothing happens, I have to send it again. Once in a while after it finishes a job the tray will stay out and when that happens, along with other times as well, the buttons on the front become unresponsive. I have to pull the plug out and back in to reset it. Another thing I noticed that I really don’t like is when I have it turned off, if there is a brown out or power failure, when power comes back on the printer will turn itself on and stay on till I notice it and turn it off again. So if you are going away for the weekend you netter unplug the thing. It is not Energy Star compliant so it does not turn itself off due to inactivity. The only way to really turn it off completely is to unplug it. Aside from those glitches in the firmware it does a real fine job of printing with low per unit ink cost.