What is the Best External DVD Burner for a Mac?

I am sure that this has been covered in threads go by - however - I would like some of your thoughts. I have a Mac Power Book and I need to add an external drive. I’ve purchased a NexStar 2 - 5.25 External Case for the driver - but need to put one in. I’d like to buy one that will support it. I am not techy at all…so please forgive my ignorance! The Apple “Geniuses” told me that there was no such product - but I know that is not true…please help!!!

Hi and Welcome!

any DVD burner should work, regardless of the operating system of the computer it is connected to.
What interface (Sata or Pata) is supported by your enclosure?

My favourite allround drives at the moment are either Optiarc AD 720x series or Pioneer x16/x17 series. Both are available as Pata (AD720xA; Pioneer 116/117) or Sata (AD720xS, Pioneer 216/217). For Sata, Optiarc AD724x drives are another option.

Michael

You’re so cute…when I said I wasn’t techy - I mean it.
I have no idea what interface I have. I am sorry to say that I probably broke one of the newbie rules and was being lazy because I was hoping for a name/model # - that I could purchase on-line and then install.

Wish I was better at this! We all have our strengths - this is DEFINATELY not mine!

what do you know about: OWC Mercury Pro? MacWorld mag recommended it - I read that online. Here’s the specs: 24x10x40 (not sure what those # mean)…
DVD-R up to 20x; CD-r up to 40x and has data capacity of 8.5 GB (double layer DVD and 4.6 GB DVD General use) - again - not sure what this all means. Both FW & USP and supports Toast, Dragon Burn, IDVD, ILife, Itunes (those I know) YEAH!!!

Thoughts?

Hi,[QUOTE=amiller191;2285580]You’re so cute…when I said I wasn’t techy - I mean it.
I have no idea what interface I have.[/quote]That should be stated in the manual :wink:

I am sorry to say that I probably broke one of the newbie rules and was being lazy because I was hoping for a name/model # - that I could purchase on-line and then install.
Well. According to your initial post, you already bought an external enclosure, and now you are looking for an optical drive that fits?
If it is either this one:
http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/167
or this:
http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/165
Then you need an internal drive with Pata (IDE) interface.

[QUOTE=amiller191;2285583]what do you know about: OWC Mercury Pro? [/quote]Nothing. They seem to be combining internal drives with external enclosures for an extra price.

Here’s the specs: 24x10x40 (not sure what those # mean)…
DVD-R up to 20x; CD-r up to 40x and has data capacity of 8.5 GB (double layer DVD and 4.6 GB DVD General use) - again - not sure what this all means.
These are burn (and read) speeds for CD and DVD media.
Thoughts?
This one: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MRBFW2SD20X/ ?
They claim, it’s a Pioneer DVR-117D in an external enclosure.
Since you already have an (empty) enclosure, why not buying a Pioneer DVR-117 (or another from the list above) and install it there?

Michael