What is the best DVD-RW drive?

vbimport

Now i know this sounds like a really nooby question, because people say that there is no “best” of anything, but surely there must be some really great RW drives out there that people here know of.

Basically i want to rip and write both CD and DVD media. (Writing to Verbatim and ripping from things such as audio CD’s, movies, games, etc)

From what i have heard on these forums, Plextor drives are considered very good, as well as the Sony Optiarc 7240s. Are any other drives better than Plextor/Sony Optiarc for reading/writing CD and DVD? Or is Plextor/Sony Optiarc the best? Please list specific models of different burners. I am just a bit confused with the range of different DVD burners available and i want to get a really good one.

Thanks.

Zonchord, I don’t blame you for asking your question. Once upon a time, not too long ago, tons of companies were making RW drives, but a lot of them were crap forcing discerning users like yourself & I to be very picky about the drives we bought.

Fortunately, these days there are quite a few drives out and about. If I were you I’d restrain my research to the Optiarc 7240S & 7241S (depending on if you want LightScribe or not) and the Lite-On IHAS324, IHAS424, and IHAS524 (depending on if you want LightScribe or LabelTag). If you choose to go the Lite-On way do be careful. Some of the drives out there are just rebadged Optiarc drives.

Samsung has a fine drive out as well, but it doesn’t have the scanning abilities the Optiarc & Lite-On drives have. As for Plextor, they are not nearly as good as they used to be. They no longer manufacture their own drives & you’ll just pay a price premium for a rebadged drive you could have gotten cheaper that would be the same except for the Plextor name on the front.

I was in your exact same position a couple weeks ago & in case you’re curious I finally went with a Lite-On IHAS424 because it has features no other brands have like SmartErase & doesn’t require hacked firmware to turn it into an RPC1 drive.

Hope this makes your decision easier rather than harder.

[QUOTE=Innuendo;2501017]Zonchord, I don’t blame you for asking your question. Once upon a time, not too long ago, tons of companies were making RW drives, but a lot of them were crap forcing discerning users like yourself & I to be very picky about the drives we bought.

Fortunately, these days there are quite a few drives out and about. If I were you I’d restrain my research to the Optiarc 7240S & 7241S (depending on if you want LightScribe or not) and the Lite-On IHAS324, IHAS424, and IHAS524 (depending on if you want LightScribe or LabelTag). If you choose to go the Lite-On way do be careful. Some of the drives out there are just rebadged Optiarc drives.

Samsung has a fine drive out as well, but it doesn’t have the scanning abilities the Optiarc & Lite-On drives have. As for Plextor, they are not nearly as good as they used to be. They no longer manufacture their own drives & you’ll just pay a price premium for a rebadged drive you could have gotten cheaper that would be the same except for the Plextor name on the front.

I was in your exact same position a couple weeks ago & in case you’re curious I finally went with a Lite-On IHAS424 because it has features no other brands have like SmartErase & doesn’t require hacked firmware to turn it into an RPC1 drive.

Hope this makes your decision easier rather than harder.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much Innuendo. That is very helpful to know. The only problem i have know is, i don’t know wether my computer has a Serial ATA (S-ATA) connection, and if i don’t then how much will it cost, how to install etc. (This is because i need S-ATA connection for the Sony Optiarc 7240s)

[QUOTE=Zonchord;2501018]Thank you very much Innuendo. That is very helpful to know. The only problem i have know is, i don’t know wether my computer has a Serial ATA (S-ATA) connection, and if i don’t then how much will it cost, how to install etc. (This is because i need S-ATA connection for the Sony Optiarc 7240s)[/QUOTE]

Is your computer custom-built or is it from a manufacturer like HP, Acer, Dell, etc.? And how old is it?

Of course the easiest way to tell if you have SATA ports is to just open up the case.

[QUOTE=Innuendo;2501024]Is your computer custom-built or is it from a manufacturer like HP, Acer, Dell, etc.? And how old is it?

Of course the easiest way to tell if you have SATA ports is to just open up the case.[/QUOTE]

It is a desktop manufactured by Packard Bell, i have had it for some time.

[B]System[/B]
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

[B]Computer[/B]
Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz
3.06 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

[QUOTE=Zonchord;2501027]It is a desktop manufactured by Packard Bell, i have had it for some time.[/QUOTE]

It almost assuredly has SATA ports as my Dell from the same time period had them. To be sure you’ll need to open it up or research the model PC you have on the HP web site.

[QUOTE=Innuendo;2501028]It almost assuredly has SATA ports as my Dell from the same time period had them. To be sure you’ll need to open it up or research the model PC you have on the HP web site.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for all your help Innuendo.

[QUOTE=Zonchord;2501029]Thank you for all your help Innuendo.[/QUOTE]

That’s what this place is here for…for users to help other users. I hope after you make your purchase you still come back and hang out here from time to time. There’s a lot to learn from some very smart people on this forum.

Good luck with whatever you buy!