What is the best DVD Compression software?

vbimport

I know that it used to be DVD shrink, but that website has been shut down and there are no new updates.

I’m still using SHRINK… It is still available if you google for it…

I guess my question is are there any other DVD compression softwares available for free that are still supported?

My vote is for DVD Rebuilder with CCE. It can also work with free encoders/transcoders like HC or QuEnc.

My perosonal favourite is CloneDVD2 from ebly - you can get a great deal from www.slysoft.com if you buy AnyDVD at the same time. (you get a 21 day free trial)

This is one of those issuse that EVERYONE has an opinion on - basically you have to try a few and see what one you are happy with.

I ust use DVD SHrink.

DVDRebuilder.

Even though DVDShrink dont have any more updates doesnt mean that it is not a good software, running AnyDVD (paid) or DVD43 (free) can crack the proection on the DVD and DVDShrink will finish the job.CloneDVD2 is also another great software but u said u want something thats FREE. I think that RatDVD is free but i have never use it.

I have to agree. Heres the link http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/index.php. The only bad thing is its slow, but the quality is definitely worth it. I usually set up a few jobs in batch mode, go to sleep, go to work, then they’re done.

RatDVD is a compression Format soley for the purpose of torrent and P2P distribution, not for Transcoding to Single Layer Discs.

sry :bow: , as i have mentioned, i have never used this programs so i dont really know how it operates

The best way I found by now is DVDRebuilder+CCE, that for quality reasons. DVDShrink can also manage the compression but the final quality is poor.

[QUOTE=sd7652001;2611884]The best way I found by now is DVDRebuilder+CCE, that for quality reasons. DVDShrink can also manage the compression but the final quality is poor.[/QUOTE]

Considering dvd are less expensive then the posting was from 6 years ago since the posting was made compression would only be good if your not financial able to buy the DL media but since DL media are gone down in price I can’t see why you can’t use DL media just as well.

[QUOTE=sd7652001;2611884]The best way I found by now is DVDRebuilder+CCE, that for quality reasons. DVDShrink can also manage the compression but the final quality is poor.[/QUOTE]

Hi sd7652001 and welcome to the forums. :flower:

If it’s quality you’re after then DVD Rebuilder is by far the best software to use. :iagree:

At higher compression levels the CCE encoder is inclined to introduce a slight amount of grain not present in the original.

Try the HC Encoder as I think it produces better results.

CCE is also prone to encoder saturation issues in certain circumstances so if you are sticking with CCE make sure you select the option to use HC Encoder for bitrate redistribution as the HC Encoder does a better job of this and doesn’t suffer from encoder saturation issues.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2611957]Considering dvd are less expensive then the posting was from 6 years ago since the posting was made compression would only be good if your not financial able to buy the DL media but since DL media are gone down in price I can’t see why you can’t use DL media just as well.[/QUOTE]

I agree, now with Blu-ray, DVD has way less resolution and if you compress it’s even worse. So unless you want to make Movies for your kids that really don’t care how they look, so Movie Only and use DL when it can’t fit Single Layer. The software I like is DVDFab, it’s Free to try but the paid version is so much better. :cool:

[QUOTE=alchav21;2612071]I agree, now with Blu-ray, DVD has way less resolution and if you compress it’s even worse. So unless you want to make Movies for your kids that really don’t care how they look, so Movie Only and use DL when it can’t fit Single Layer. The software I like is DVDFab, it’s Free to try but the paid version is so much better. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I agree too D/L is the only way to go if quality is a factor in your backup :iagree:

As for DVDFab I’m a user myself :bigsmile: however Magic DVD Ripper is also a great little tool which now has a forum here at MyCE you may want to check it out, it also does conversions to other video formats and has a built-in profile editor :cool:
http://club.myce.com/f177/

^Except that DL media, even Verbatim, isn’t as reliable long term as single layer dvds. The extra complexity in the physical structure of the DL disks makes them vulnerable to failure. Just a fact.

And if you are going to compress with a transcoder, there really isn’t too much difference amongst them. They all do an acceptable job at low compression rates. So you might as well use a free one like DVDShrink. Just don’t push them…too much compression with a transcoder will lead to very poor results.

If higher quality is your object, then the encoders, like HCenc, CCE and Procoder are the tools to use. Though even they have some differences in output quality as Wombler pointed out. At this point in time, I don’t see any reason to use any mpeg2 encoder other than HCenc. This free mpeg2 encoder has caught and surpassed most everything on the video enthusiast market. There are some that are slightly better, but with those, you are entering the professional level, with corresponding HIGH costs.

One of the main drawbacks to using an encoder used to be the extra time it takes, but with modern, multicore computers, HCenc runs through dvds in very little time at all. DVDRebuilder is a good gui for HCenc, either the free version or the Pro version, and it is the gold standard for dvd backups these days at the amateur level.

So if you are simply backing up dvds and keeping them in dvd video, the only compelling reasons to use anything other than the free software is if you need updated decryption to cut through the newer protection schemes as they come out, or if there are some extra capabilities in the commercial software that meet your specific needs.

Even then, software like DVDFabHD Decrypter or BDLot ISO Master combined with DVDShrink and DVDRebuilder are hard to beat. Impossible in my opinion, if the only thing you are trying to do is make smaller backups of your dvd video.

Yo Kerry

All of my backups done on D/L play flawlessly, even the ones dating back 10 years ago (All Verbatim) and all even have paper stuck on labels on them so I’ve got my moneys worth out of them :smiley:

Maybe it depends on the quality of the burn :bigsmile:

I just had one fail from 3 yrs ago. And it was as good a burn as any I’ve done. I always use 4x speed on MKM-001 disks, with burners of known quality.

Might want to check on some of those disks.

Kerry56, I’m with StormJumper, I too go way back and have not had any DL Discs go bad on me either. I only use Verbatim, and your favorite software DVDFab with the greatest Burner Plextor, but no failures. So for DVD’s I say Movie Only and DL if the size of the Movie calls for it. :cool: