What is the best dvd burner at the moment?

vbimport

I'm looking for dvd burner that does good job on burning dvd-r & dvd-rw. Any recommandations?? I hears pinoeer has good one.

They are the only ones to have a writer for dvd-r and -rw.

Be aware that their a03/a04 is a dvd-writer, and neither a cd-writer nor a reader for anything:

access time 200ms
no overburning for A03 (i think up to 82min for a04)
neither raw-dao nor raw-sao (!!)
only reads raw+16
only reads 24x CD
can’t read protected audio cds
high-speed cd-rw only for A04 and only @4x
udma 33 only for A04
burn proof for cds only with A04 (A03 has burnproof only for dvd)
dma mode might fail on BX-Chipsets (must use PIO4 instead)

I like it since I only write dvds with it (i have an A03).
But you need an additional cd-writer and an additional good reader (or a good DVD/CD-RW combo if you prefer).

Um no. It is a dvd-writer, a dvd-reader, a cdr/rw writer and reader. Here are the specs from pioneers website. (this is for the a04/104, but I believe that the 03 only lacks burnproof and some other minor differences.)

Write Support

DVD-R (4.7GB for General)
DVD-RW
CD-R
CD-RW
Read Support

DVD-ROM single layer/dual layer
DVD-R (all types)
DVD-RW
CD-ROM Mode 1
CD-ROM XA Mode 2 (form 1, form 2)
CD-TEXT
Photo CD (single & multiple session)
CD-DA (Audio CD)
CD-Extra
CD-R
CD-RW (Support AM2)
Write Speed

DVD-R: 2X CLV, 1x CLV
DVD-RW: 1X CLV
CD-R: 8X CLV, 4X CLV
CD-RW: 4X CLV
Read Speed

DVD-ROM (Single): 6X CAV
DVD-ROM (Dual): 2X CLV
DVD-R, DVD-RW: 2X CLV
CD-ROM: 24X CAV
CD-R, CD-RW: 24X CAV
CD-Audio: 10X CAV
Video-CD: 4X CLV

You obviously don’t own one.

Reading capabilities and cd-writing capabilities are really poor, and it causes mental pain to try to read something with that thing. If you read my posting, then you know why.

Believe me: It is a dvd-writer, and nothing more. If you buy one, keep in mind that you will need additional drives.

I recommend three:

1. Second generation DVD+RW drives from HP, Ricoh, Philips, Memorex, and so on. HP DVD200i, Rioch MP5125A, for example. They are almost the same. 2.4x2.4x8x12x10x32x for all.

2. Sanyo 4x DVD-R writer coming in June. Even faster CD writing, too.

3. LG-Hitachi GMA-4020B. 2x DVD-RAM, 2x DVD-R, 1x DVD-RW. Also, the drive is capable of CD-R and CD-RW writing. Availability not sure.

I do own one (the oem 104 version) and although it isn’t the fastest at it’s secondary functions, it does a decent job for the occasional cd burn and is fine as a reader. I took my 16x pioneer dvdrom and plextor 24x cdr and put them into one of my other machines. I do my audio ripping and most of my cd-r authoring on it. If someone was only going to have 1 pc they wanted to use to do everything then yes get a lite-on or plextor 40x burner to match up with the A04/104. I wouldn’t even bother with an additional dvd-rom drive unless I were planning on doing a tremendous amount of dvd ripping.

LG

FYI: The site forum.firmware-flash.com has a moderator who has created a modified firmware for the Pioneer drives to make them RPC-1 if that factors into someones decision.