What is the best drive to use for Disc Quality scans?

Sorry if this sounds like a basic question but I’ve only ever burnt the disc and thats it, never worried about the quality of it.

I’ve tried to search for this info in the forums but only found a thread dated in 04.

What I would like to know is what drive/s is the best to do these quality scans of media that I have burned?

Thanks in advance
Rusty

Welcome, Rusty :slight_smile:

I like LiteOn and BenQ drives (in that order) - however, the LiteOn is next to useless at scanning CDs - the BenQ does better in that department. :slight_smile:

Hi Arachne
Thanks for the welcome… this place is a wealth of info.

Ta for the info, ordered a lite-on SHM-165P6S today :slight_smile:

Cheers
rusty

Enjoy! I recently bought the same drive :smiley:

Add Plextor (true Plextor’s) to that list…

Do they qualify as “best”? Yes! :iagree:

Are they fast for DVD quality scanning? Absolutely not! :disagree:

Even though I have a Plextor PX-712A, I don’t use it for everyday DVD scans because it’s too slow. Instead I use the LiteOn SHM-165P6S and I often scan at 16x to really stress the disc. Other LiteOn DVD burners are just as good for this purpose.

For CD quality scanning the Plextor used to be my best drive, but the BenQ DW1655 has caught up and in some respects surpassed the Plextor with the introduction of Advanced Disc Quality scanning in Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.0.0. Some other BenQ models should be equally good, e.g. DW1650, DW1640, and DW1620.

I agree that my Plextor scans a little slower, but the results are very good. I scanned the same CD in my Plextor, and my Benq, and a Liteon. All gave very comparable results.

I wasn’t referring to CD scans when I said that Plextors are slow, I was referring to scans of DVD media; 2x scanning speed and separate passes for PIE+POF, PIF+POF and Jitter+Beta, all together almost 90 minutes for a full single layer DVD.