What is the best all around DVD/CD Burner?

What is the best all around DVD/CD Burner?

I’ve posted questions previously telling you that I’ve burned CD’s & DVD’s with the burner that came with my Gateway GT5056 Personal Computer with Dual Core technology & in it is a TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552D DVD/CD Burner. I’ve used all kinds of media including Taiyo Yuden. While most of them have preformed well initially in my Players, still there have been some I’ve made for friends or gone to play for friends, and they haven’t worked. So what, in your opinions (remembering that I’m not made of Money) is the best all around DVD/CD burner combo? One that should be compatible with my Computer and that, for the most part produces or re-produces a quality disk that looks (Video) or sounds (Audio) great and is compatible with most if not all players (CD or DVD) on the market. Also what media do you suggest (CD/DVD) and what speeds do you suggest to burn them to receive the very best results. You guys know so much more than me and I could really use your help. Any tips that you might have to insure good results would be appreciated as well.
Thanks
Uncle Bob

[QUOTE=UncleB;1931160]What is the best all around DVD/CD Burner?

I’ve posted questions previously telling you that I’ve burned CD’s & DVD’s with the burner that came with my Gateway GT5056 Personal Computer with Dual Core technology & in it is a TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-H552D DVD/CD Burner. I’ve used all kinds of media including Taiyo Yuden. While most of them have preformed well initially in my Players, still there have been some I’ve made for friends or gone to play for friends, and they haven’t worked. So what, in your opinions (remembering that I’m not made of Money) is the best all around DVD/CD burner combo? One that should be compatible with my Computer and that, for the most part produces or re-produces a quality disk that looks (Video) or sounds (Audio) great and is compatible with most if not all players (CD or DVD) on the market. Also what media do you suggest (CD/DVD) and what speeds do you suggest to burn them to receive the very best results. You guys know so much more than me and I could really use your help. Any tips that you might have to insure good results would be appreciated as well.
Thanks
Uncle Bob[/QUOTE]

I have a lot of different brand, here’s what i think:

1. start off with the BTC (other wise known as Emprex), this is a cow, you can throw it out the window and it still work, but it’s just a cow, can’t get you anywhere fast or reliable in term of quality

2. The Liteon, it’s an average burner, it’ll burn but if you’re looking for top quality, it’s not the one. It’s known to be a reader/scanner.

3. The samsung, this is a horse, it’s fast and hard to break, but again, just average burn, tweak of the registry alows scan, but i find it’s scanning capacity = crap.

4. BenQ, this is the all around unit, but be careful of it’s media, it does fine on MOST, but some media are very problematic with this burner, great scanner, i use it to scan most of the time.

5. NEC (oldies, not the one with the sony joint production). It’s alright, it hated ritek R04 (yeah like you can find them any more lol). I gave it away, average IMO.

6. Pioneer, now we’re steping into high quality burning, but it’s a little slower than the competator, if you want high quality all around, this is the one. Can’t scan though

7. LG, IMO this is on par or better than pioneer in terms of quality, HOWEVER, it also can’t scan, i have the SATA N62, pretty good. I would get a combo of LG + BenQ/Liteon OR Pioneer + BenQ/Liteon, it saves alot of work down the road when you have picky media, they’re relatively cheap and so worth the money, you’ll be using it alot.

[QUOTE=warlock111;1938294]

1. start off with the BTC[/quote]Out-of-business, so no option.
  1. The Liteon, it’s an average burner, it’ll burn but if you’re looking for top quality, it’s not the one. It’s known to be a reader/scanner.
    I don’t like the CD quality, but their DVD performance is good. Also, Liteon is one of the few surviving DVDRW manufacturers.
  1. The samsung, this is a horse, it’s fast and hard to break, but again, just average burn, tweak of the registry alows scan, but i find it’s scanning capacity = crap.
    Good CD quality starting with 18x series, also the DVD quality is good if fed with good media. Kprobe works out of the box with Samsung drives. There is no real need to tweak the registry for getting CD/DVD Speed to work. Also, this is an issue of CD/DVD Speed, the drive is not to blame. And my SH-S203B scanning results are in line with those I obtain with my Benq DW1650 or my Liteon SHM-165P6S.
  1. BenQ, this is the all around unit,great scanner,
    Out-of-business, so no option.
    Recent Benq drives are Liteon rebadges.
  1. NEC (oldies, not the one with the sony joint production).
    Optiarc started selling rebadged Liteon drives. Go figure;)
  1. Pioneer, now we’re steping into high quality burning, but it’s a little slower than the competator, if you want high quality all around, this is the one. Can’t scan though
    :iagree:
  1. LG, IMO this is on par or better than pioneer in terms of quality, HOWEVER, it also can’t scan, i have the SATA N62, pretty good.

I’d personally vote for Pioneer, 20x Samsung and perhaps Renesas based LG drives.

I would get a combo of LG + BenQ/Liteon OR Pioneer + BenQ/Liteon,
Forget Benq, since they are no longer available (apart from the Liteon clones)

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1938315]Out-of-business, so no option.

I don’t like the CD quality, but their DVD performance is good. Also, Liteon is one of the few surviving DVDRW manufacturers.
Good CD quality starting with 18x series, also the DVD quality is good if fed with good media. Kprobe works out of the box with Samsung drives. There is no real need to tweak the registry for getting CD/DVD Speed to work. Also, this is an issue of CD/DVD Speed, the drive is not to blame. And my SH-S203B scanning results are in line with those I obtain with my Benq DW1650 or my Liteon SHM-165P6S.

Out-of-business, so no option.
Recent Benq drives are Liteon rebadges.

Optiarc started selling rebadged Liteon drives. Go figure;)
:iagree:

I’d personally vote for Pioneer, 20x Samsung and perhaps Renesas based LG drives.
Forget Benq, since they are no longer available (apart from the Liteon clones)

Michael[/QUOTE]

I totally forgot about the benQ not producing anymore. I still have 2 of those 1620 drives left, it’s not too bad, i use it to scan mostly. But if i have to choose between a liteon/benQ (similar in terms of features), i would get a benQ, the liteon quality control isn’t really “controled”. I have both the pioneer 112D and the N62, i like the N62 better, it does better with crappy disc, the pioneer does give better quality, but you will need good disc.

go for SH-S203 series

I like to recommend a Lite-On because they auto bitset and burn very well. They are pretty much hands free drive. Not to complicated to use in other words out of the box.