What is normal vibration level for benq 1625?What vibration could expect from others?

vbimport

Hi, I am kinda new to these modern drives so please can someone tell me what is a normal level of vibration?

I had a benq 1625.
It seemed to have a lot of vibration on maybe 1/2 of my various disks.
It would vibrate with a cd in it at maybe at the 12x to 30x level while spinning up to read it. I thought maybe I had some off balanced cd, but it did it with a variety of manufactured cds and dvd.

I tried putting one cd into the nero speed program (I hope I got the name right as I am pretty new at this). Anyways one of my cds I made with the burner , would fail to fully spin up for the test, and an error box was produces, and the test stopped. You see a lot of physical vibration would occur maybe at the 12 - 30x level (guessing ) and it would not always reach full speed. But sometimes I could get it to pass that spin up to the full level, if I immediately started the test again after it failed, and it had not had time to fully slowed down. I don’t know , I don’t remember precisely what would make the difference with the same test succeding or failing to spin up with that test.

I do no that the drive would sometimes vibrate so much that it would reverberate inside my case, causing a drum effect. But if it reached full speed then it would go away, and just sound like a fast spinning drive. If I unmounted the drive and held it in my hand I could feel the vibration in my hand very apparently. If it was mounted I could feel it in the face plate. The drive was mounted solid enough. It just had enough vibrational energy to shake the whole case with it sometimes. This amount of vibration would take place maybe 1/4 the time, like when I installed a game, and the disks would really spin up to load all the info. As I said though, it would not do it at full speed, just getting there. Sometimes it would sit at that big vibrating speed for a while , then later spin faster and it would go away. So I think it is more than firmware that contols the spin up speed. i think it is something about the mechanism that grabs the cd or dvd and centers it or something?The closest analogy I can come up with, is if you are driving a car that has tires that are not balanced, there will be a place where the steering wheel vibrates, then you can drive faster , and you will get past that special reverberation place.

Is this normal for drives? Did I have a normal unit? Would the hp lightscribe drive vibrate less? Are they the same?

If I got a benq 1640 or 1620 or that Plextore 716 or 740 drive would they vibrate less than the 1625?

The drive seemed to be able to really precisely burn the lightscribe label , and make a cd at high speed 40 or 48 whatever the max on the drive is.

I want a lightscribe bad, but I am scared to go get another one. And the reviews make me feel bad about my burners writing quality if I wanted dual layer or rewriter dvds. Maybe the reviewer got a bum sample?

I guess knowing the quality of the burn is more important than the label to me, so I would settle for a 1640 or 1620 but I cannot make out how the 1640 firmware has progressed the drive from it initial reviews. This info is so overwhelming. And I would hate to get another drive to have it vibrate so much on me. I am so confused. I cannot even tell if the 1625 really couldn’t report c1 or pi errors. Can it?

is the hp640i physically the same as the 1625? Or could it have a different vibration dampening system?

1)If the drive is making a noise from vibrating with the chassis then try changing the position of the drive within the computers drive bays e.g the bottom of it and make sure it is properly secured with screws. If the drive could shake the “entire case” as you say then either your case is made from a very flimsy metal or there is something very wrong with the drive and should be replaced.

2)All DVD writers vibrate more or less when reading/writing discs at a high RPM it depends on the case as well.

3)The 1640 as it stands burns most discs just fine at their rated speed, a new firmware is due very soon that will open up the possibility of over-speeding media.

4)All Lightscribe drives out their at the moment in retail are based off the BenQ 1625 if your getting another LS drive it will be the same drive and that goes for external ones as well.

5)The 1625 can report C1/PI E/F errors as for C2 errors it can report such errors but through a non-standard method.

6)As for the 640i see number 4.

Thanks 8T8.
What is the “non-standard method” ? What tool is that?
Ullitmately, is there less quality error information available when a 1625 scans the disk, than when a 1640 would scan the disk for quality?

I do not have the drive anymore, because I returned it. So I am going off
memory here.

Please tell me where I went wrong using the Nero Speed quality scan test (I think it was part of the qsuit or something package of software) to try to get the 1625 to check for some sort of errors. I tried it with 2 different cds (one was a cd created with the 1625 itself), but I did not notice it even reporting c1 errors , even though I think I checked to box for it to do so. THe only information I saw it reporting was jitter at around 9% (average and max) . I looked at the graph and did not see any c1 or c2 errors being reported. I do not remember if I let the test run to full completion, but it must have because I got a “jitter” report. There was no graphing of c1 errors. I put a really scratched up store bought audio cd disk into it, and it did not show any c1 or c2 errors.
So is this a normal experience from using the quality scan. My conclusion from using that software would be that the 1625 cannot report anything other than jitter. Am I wrong about that software , and what software would give me what I want? And once again, ultimately, would I get any more quality info out of the 1640?

When you say it can report pi e/f errors does it reports the po / pof errors too? Or in this regard , does it report any less po / pof error than that 1640? What tool does it take to get these pie pif po pof errors? Would nero speed quality program do it?

Am I right to assume the 1640 can report an equal amount of quality info as the 1620? And it would be similar in quality info reported as a Plextor 740, but just uses different software to do so?

Sorry for being such a noob.

See Erik Deppe’s (the author of Nero CD/DVD speed) post here in relation to C2 errors and BenQ drives.

Make sure you are using the latest version of Nero CD/DVD Speed very old versions dont support BenQ drives for disc quality checking, BenQ’s are also good readers and even if you scratch as disc it still might be readable by the drive.

The 1640/1620/1625 use the same method to scan discs, OEM re-brands like the PX-740 often have the disc quality checking crippled or disabled in their firmware which is supplied by BenQ as such often you must cross flash to BenQ’s retail firmware to enable it.

Thanks,
Essentially any cd disk will have a c1 error. So I would expect them to chart in the nero speed chart and give me a chart like http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1073541&postcount=14 shows.
As I said, I burned a cd with the 1625 with factory bios and tested with the speed thing and it did not chart any c1 or c2 errors, it just charted the jitter.
I used the version of nero that came with the drive.
So obviously I was wondering if I did something wrong or the software picks up something from the 1640 drive that it does not from the 1625.

Well two things you should have tried first were updating the firmware to BBHA the first one or two firmwares that were available for the 1625 had disc quality checking disabled in the firmware, this was rectified in a later release, it is conceivable that your 1625 came with one of these early firmwares.

Plus make sure your using the latest version of Nero CD/DVD Speed.

Thanks, I did not reflash, and I do not know what firmware it had. That must have been the problem. I guess the firmware that came with it only gave jitter readings?

It sounds like you are telling me that the 1625 has just as much error check capability for both cds and dvd if an upadated firmaware is used, as does the 1640. Right?

The 1625 can report C1/PI E/F errors as for C2 errors it can report such errors but through a non-standard method.

Is the non-standard method the same one as the 1640 uses. ANd is that what all that debate was about in the other thread about whether it reports c2 errors, and if so what type of c2 error is it really?

Can these drives report PO errors failures? Not sure what they are called exactly.

I mean , when it bumps into a c3 error or its dvd equivalent (is that a POF or just PO) does the scan let you know?

Finally, is the 1640 smoother than the 1625 in terms of vibration, or about the same?

Thanks for any more answers.

By the way, I noticed a post where you said you own a 1625, so I will have to trust you about the firmware issue, as that must have been the problem, as I thin the drive I had was manufactured in Feb of 2005.

Also, have you experienced similar difficulties in writing rewritable cds and dvd, and dual layer dvd as the reviewer here at cdfreaks had? Did he have maybe a bum sample, or is that really to be expected?

Are the media that have lightscribe tops on the (the cd types , and the verbatim dvd+R media), high quality? I guess that ulitmately is the question, for the lightscribe drive, as that is why someone get the drive in the first place
I am such a noob!

Yes the 1625 has the same error checking capabilities as the 1640/1620 as long as you update the firmware to a more recent version.

BenQ’s drives do not support the official method for reporting C2 errors however their is another way to get the information but this can only be done with Nero CD/DVD Speed, as for more details on the C2 error reporting your better off asking Erik Deppe in this thread.

Yes these drives can report PO failures for more info read this about understanding what po failures are though it is more Lite-On specific.

I really don’t know if it vibrates more or less I have a very sturdy Lian-Li V1000 case and all the drives are secured with screws.

The 1625’s firmware support hasn’t been as good as other drives I’m afraid there are a couple of outstanding issues though I haven’t had trouble writing media its writing media at the desired speed which can sometimes be a problem as it will drop the speed for some discs also it only supports 8x DVD-R and no over-speeding of any media.

At the moment the current LS discs are DVD+R and use MCC 003 which burns very well with BenQ drives, there are more media meant to come out but I have not seen them available yet (at least within the EU region).

If I were you I’d get a 1620 cheap or a 1640 if you can afford it & and have a (a 1625) LS writer as a backup and just use it for LightScribe jobs, if you can only afford one drive I think LG have some LS writers in the pipe & maybe NEC so it might be worth waiting another month or two before getting a LS writer if no more firmware updates are released for the 1625.