What is mount rainier?

What is mount rainier? :bow:

A Mountain Goat = Goat that lives on a Mountain :confused:

LOL! but seriously its just that it used to be on my liteon cd/rw but it isnt on the dvd burner i just purchased, what is it? I only ask this because i have been told that some chips on the burners help to by pass protection and i thought thats what mount rainier is. Is it? :bow: <------ love this lil dude!

Welcome s0yL3nTgR33n :wink:

Mount Rainier

It’s recommended to google and use search before posting new topics.

Edit.Starting three topics/threads in a short time period is kind’a ambitious at least to say.

Its a format that no one is rushing to! Basically it makes a CD/DVD like a floppy disk!
I consider this dead since most new drives do not have this feature!

Best answer I have seen in a long time! Thanks man!

pinto’s link says it all, more or less a dead archive format.

Thanks for the answers guys and thanks for the welcome pinto2. :smiley:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: lol!

I’ve always thought it was just something for hardware reviewers to put in their “Negative” conclusions:

“No Mt. Rainier support”

AT! You have a valid point! Why does everyone put that as a negative point? :confused: :confused: :confused:

s0yL3nTgR33n
Welcome! :cool:
We get in a hurry to answer questions and forget the nice things that get people started in the right direction in their posts! Some times we are a little short with answers because we are in a hurry! Most of us at the forum are not flamers and will try to give you an answer! To me to tell some one to Google it when they are a newbie misses the point of the forum! This forum has the best knowledge on DVD/CD issues in the world and people Google and fine it! So they did Google and found us! Lets help them all we can! IMHO only!

General information
Mount Rainier is a standard that provides background formatting and defect management for storage on CD-RW and DVD+RW. This makes rewritable discs far easier to use and allows the replacement of the floppy. In the near future, native Operating System support for Mount Rainier is available. Click here to learn more about Mount Rainier and EasyWrite, how to implement Mount Rainier, its promoters and contributors, Frequently Asked Questions and interesting links.

• more

Mount Rainier specifications update (June 2004)
The Mount Rainier specifications for DVD+RW and CD-RW have been revised. Click here for more information.

• more

How to sign up as adopter and obtain the specifications
If you want to use Mount Rainier in your product and get access to the specifications to develop your products, a (free) license is required. This can be obtained by signing up as an adopter for CD-MRW and/or DVD+MRW. There is a separate adopters agreement for CD-MRW and DVD+MRW. In return you will get a password to access the specifications, which can be downloaded from this website.

• more

EasyWrite
EasyWrite is the marketing logo for Mount Rainier compliant drives. Philips created the EasyWrite name and logo to facilitate the marketing and promotion of the Mount Rainier solution. Adopters of MRW can use the name and logo, under the condition that the promoted products are tested and validated. Click here for information about the logo and its usage, and the EasyWrite compliance- and robustness tests.

• more

Which rewritable drives are EasyWrite qualified?
To see which CD-RW and DVD+RW recorders have passed the EasyWrite validation tests, click on the button below, select Mount Rainier Drive from the drop-down menu and press search. Please note that the drive models available on the market may have different firmware versions. It is the drive vendor’s responsibility whether or not to make the EasyWrite feature available for end users.

Drives that support Mount Rainier
CD-RW drive

1. Lite-On LTR-52246S firmware version 6S0E
    CD-RW drive produced by Lite-On IT Corporation, Taiwan.
  2. Lite-On LTR-52327S firmware version QV4F
  3. Hitachi-LG Data Storage GCE-8483B firmware version 1.04
    CD-RW drive produced by Hitachi-LG Data Storage, Korea.
  4. Samsung SW-252S firmware version sm05
    CD-RW drive produced by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. , Korea.
  5. Sony CRX216E firmware version PDT8
    CD-RW drive produced by Sony Corporation, Japan.
  6. Lite-On SOHR-5238S firmware version 4V28
  7. Hitachi-LG Data Storage GCE-8486B firmware version 1.00
    CD-RW drive produced by Hitachi-LG Data Storage, Korea.

CD-RW/DVD combo drive

1. Philips CDD5301/xx firmware version P1.1
    CD-RW/DVD combo drive produced by Royal Philips Electronics, The Netherlands.
  2. Lite-On LTC-48161H firmware version KV5N
    CD-RW/DVD combo drive produced by Lite-On IT Corporation, Taiwan.
  3. Hitachi-LG Data Storage GCC-4481B firmware version 1.00
    CD-RW/DVD combo drive produced by Hitachi-LG Data Storage, Korea.
  4. Lite-On LSC-24082K firmware version JK0K
    CD-RW/DVD slim type combo drive produced by Lite-On IT Corporation, Taiwan.
  5. Lite-On SOSC-2483K firmware version KV0X
    CD-RW/DVD slim type combo drive produced by Lite-On IT Corporation, Taiwan.
  6. Samsung SN-324F firmware version U203
    CD-RW/DVD combo drive produced by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. , Korea.
  7. QSI SBW242U firmware version UD26
    CD-RW/DVD slim type combo drive produced by Quanta Storage Inc., Taiwan.
  8. Panasonic UJDA750 firmware version 1.80
    CD-RW/DVD slim type combo drive produced by Panasonic Communications Co., Ltd., Japan
  9. Samsung SM-352F firmware version T900
    CD-RW/DVD combo drive produced by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. , Korea.
  10. Hitachi-LG Data Storage GCC-4241N firmware version AT03
    CD-RW/DVD combo drive produced by Hitachi-LG Data Storage, Japan.
  11. Sony CRX830E firmware version KDK4
    CD-RW/DVD combo drive produced by Sony Corporation, Japan.
  12. PHILIPS CDRW/DVD CDD5263 firmware version UH9A
    CD-RW/DVD slim type combo drive produced by Royal Philips Electronics, The Netherlands.
  13. NEC CDRW/DVD CB1100A firmware version TB01
    CD-RW/DVD combo drive produced by NEC Corporation, Japan.

DVD+RW/CD-RW drive

1. Philips DVDR1640 firmware version MR11
    DVD+RW/CD-RW drive produced by Royal Philips Electronics, The Netherlands.
  2. NEC ND-2500A firmware version 1.0M
    DVD+RW/CD-RW drive produced by NEC Corporation, Japan.
  3. Sony DW-R56A firmware version NDT1
    DVD+RW/CD-RW drive produced by Sony Corporation, Japan

It is (was) a standard for hardware based defect management for rewritable media.

While it was quite widely implemented for later CD-RW drives, it received very little take up on DVD writers.

Only DVD-RAM has much in the way of defect management, though it appears DVD-RW has a means of marking defects, though handling the seems to be optional and software implemented.

The crazy thing though, apparently a lot of the current hardware would be capable, it just hasn’t been implemented!

oooooh k,
Thanks for the welcome etp and thank you all for your time. :bow:
Believe me i now know what mount rainier is lol! :bow:
I still ask how ever is there such a thing as a “special chip” that can by pass protection? and… if i had a hundred and fifty bucks to spend on a burner which one should it be cause you know…im a noob and all and its much easier to ask learned scholars such as yourself who know whats what and whats crap… cause every comany reckons their burners are the best…when they’re not. SO matth are you saying mate that there are dvd-rams as opposed to standard dvd burners, ive got no problem spending a little more as long as the burner “backs up” my games and dvd’s with minimal stress, im allergic to it you see, stress that is.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: <------- still luv this lil dude.

Burn on man! LOL