What is it better? Spray or glossy CD-R?

I am going to send a new order for a cakebox of 50 CD-rs and I am not sure what is better to do.

My final aim is getting a music CD-r by a good cd-r quality and a good printing quality, BUT:

1. The glossy Taiyo Yuden CD-rs are unusable cause of the rollermarks left on the surface after printing.

2. The Verbatim glossy are good BUT the recording quality is not the same old good one like it used to be

At this point I have two options:

A) The MultiBurn AquaShield printable CD-R: does anyone have test them before? Any feedback?

http://www.mediaprostore.com/MultiBurn-CD-R-AquaShield-Printable-45-Pack-in-Cakebox.html

B) The regular printable Tayio Yuden (NO glossy), to finish off by this spray:

http://www.mediaprostore.com/Color-Protection-CD-Spray-for-Inkjet-Printable-Media.html

According to your experiences, what is the best solution, please? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2279692]I am going to send a new order for a cakebox of 50 CD-rs and I am not sure what is better to do.

My final aim is getting a music CD-r by a good cd-r quality and a good printing quality, BUT:

1. The glossy Taiyo Yuden CD-rs are unusable cause of the rollermarks left on the surface after printing.

2. The Verbatim glossy are good BUT the recording quality is not the same old good one like it used to be

At this point I have two options:

A) The MultiBurn AquaShield printable CD-R: does anyone have test them before? Any feedback?

http://www.mediaprostore.com/MultiBurn-CD-R-AquaShield-Printable-45-Pack-in-Cakebox.html

B) The regular printable Tayio Yuden (NO glossy), to finish off by this spray:

http://www.mediaprostore.com/Color-Protection-CD-Spray-for-Inkjet-Printable-Media.html

According to your experiences, what is the best solution, please? :)[/QUOTE]

Rollermarks? I have not tried these glossy’s yet so I am not aware of this. What printer are you using that causes this?

[QUOTE=deptacon;2282077]Rollermarks? I have not tried these glossy’s yet so I am not aware of this. What printer are you using that causes this?[/QUOTE]

Almost every printers :frowning:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/epson-r280-causing-rollermarks-taiyo-yuden-258748/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/water-shield-print-problem-hp-d5160-266481/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/settings-taiyo-yuden-inkjet-printable-255228/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/mbi-gl...roblem-262125/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/epson-…-yuden-258748/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/proble...sy-cdr-243614/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/best-i...hields-223451/

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/taiyo-...e-dvds-19

This problem seems to happen to all the printers: HP, Canon and Epson.

Some printers show this problem stronger than other brands, but it is always there.

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2282276]Almost every printers :frowning:

Some printers show this problem stronger than other brands, but it is always there.[/QUOTE]

No, it’s not.

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2282276]Almost every printers :frowning:
This problem seems to happen to all the printers: HP, Canon and Epson.

Some printers show this problem stronger than other brands, but it is always there.[/QUOTE]
You haven’t mentioned yet which printer you are using. Perhaps someone else with your printer would be able to tell us if it is problematic with Watershields. I’ve printed 100’s of them with my Epson R340 and RX680 with no problems. And the beautiful, professional-looking image quality combined with excellent burn quality and playback compatibility, especially for audio, makes them my top choice. Seems you are ruling out the best choice too early in the game :iagree:. Don’t know who makes the MultiBurn discs, but judging by the description, I think it’s likely they would be similar to the Watershield print surface.

Yes, it is.

Maybe it did not happen with old types of printers. But it seems that all the new production lines have some white plastic track at the bottom of the printer (please see the white arrows). In my case this track is made of 7 plastic wheeling rollers in control of dragging and positioning of the CD tray.

I wrote about “new production lines” and I mean it. Recently I took a close look at the mechanism of the new printers and I haven’t seen one without out it.

Some printers, like HP, have a stronger pressure on the disc surface, other printers (like Canon) the pressure is less strong.

Of course I am talking about printers available in Europe. Maybe in the U.S. there is a different production and/or importation. Maybe there is a printer with a mechanism which do not touch the disc surface… but in spite I have been opening the up door of several NEW printers to look inside, I saw the mechanism was exactly identical.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2282406]You haven’t mentioned yet which printer you are using. Perhaps someone else with your printer would be able to tell us if it is problematic with Watershields. I’ve printed 100’s of them with my Epson R340 and RX680 with no problems. And the beautiful, professional-looking image quality combined with excellent burn quality and playback compatibility, especially for audio, makes them my top choice. Seems you are ruling out the best choice too early in the game :iagree:. Don’t know who makes the MultiBurn discs, but judging by the description, I think it’s likely they would be similar to the Watershield print surface.[/QUOTE]

MY printer is a Canon IP 4200.

Before this printer I got same result by using a Canon IP 4500, HP 5460 and Epson R280.

The visibility depends on lighting/angle of disk and marks are more visible on an area of solid color like black, for example.

HP and Epson gave the worst result, Canon is a little better: almost invisible, but always there.

Of course the recording quality is more than excellent and I agree with you about the top choice.

The printing quality is fair… if you do not take a closer look.

I recently got an iP4500 with the intent of printing TY Watershields. I’ve only printed a few so far but no tracks. I must be lucky then. I just hope my initial luck doesn’t run out. I’ve got to print about 100 in the next month or two.

PS, I had an Epson R200 and R220 and printed hundreds of discs, never tracked.

Before I used Watershields, I sprayed. I rejoiced when I found the Watershields. Spraying was such a pain.

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2282476]MY printer is a Canon IP 4200.

Before this printer I got same result by using a Canon IP 4500, HP 5460 and Epson R280.
The visibility depends on lighting/angle of disk and marks are more visible on an area of solid color like black, for example.
HP and Epson gave the worst result, Canon is a little better: almost invisible, but always there.
Of course the recording quality is more than excellent and I agree with you about the top choice.
The printing quality is fair… if you do not take a closer look.[/QUOTE]
Sorry for doubting your conclusion about your printer. Call it wishful thinking :). My Canon MP530 also leaves slight scuffs on Watershields, which is why I do my disc printing with the RX680. Pressure of the rollers may be involved, but I suspect one of the biggest reasons for the complete absence of scuffing with the 680 is the fact that the hard white plastic rollers in your photo and my MP530 are replaced by rubber ones in the Epson. Perhaps something to look for in your next printer? Your dilemma has prompted me to order some Verbatim white glossy discs to see if they are immune to this problem in the Canon and a reasonable compromise in print and burn quality. Long overdue. Thanks for giving me an excuse to buy more media :D.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2282749]Sorry for doubting your conclusion about your printer. Call it wishful thinking :). My Canon MP530 also leaves slight scuffs on Watershields, which is why I do my disc printing with the RX680. Pressure of the rollers may be involved, but I suspect one of the biggest reasons for the complete absence of scuffing with the 680 is the fact that the hard white plastic rollers in your photo and my MP530 are replaced by rubber ones in the Epson. Perhaps something to look for in your next printer? Your dilemma has prompted me to order some Verbatim white glossy discs to see if they are immune to this problem in the Canon and a reasonable compromise in print and burn quality. Long overdue. Thanks for giving me an excuse to buy more media :D.[/QUOTE]

I never wrote about deep tracks (or scratches).

The lines (rollermarks) I was talking about, are quite noticeable. Only in deep colors and with some source of lights.

The CD-rs Verbatim Glossy Printable do NOT leave any kind of rollermarks… they are immune… just perfect!

Unfortunately the recording quality is extremely bad. I used them with a Plextor Premium II and always got a music CD full of C1, C2 errors.

Same music compilation, same tracks, but burned on a Taiyo Yuden… and it was perfect.

Please take a look at this thread… hope it will be helpful for you before you waste money on Verbatim :slight_smile:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f123/did-anyone-have-good-luck-verbatin-glossy-printable-cd-r-270803/

[QUOTE=MSmart99;2282602]I recently got an iP4500 with the intent of printing TY Watershields. I’ve only printed a few so far but no tracks. I must be lucky then. I just hope my initial luck doesn’t run out. I’ve got to print about 100 in the next month or two.

PS, I had an Epson R200 and R220 and printed hundreds of discs, never tracked.

Before I used Watershields, I sprayed. I rejoiced when I found the Watershields. Spraying was such a pain.[/QUOTE]

The white plastic track at the bottom of the printer IP 4500 is the same of IP 4200. I checked out.

At this point I can only think it’s a matter of luck, maybe a different way of pressure calibration which can be different even in the same type of printer.

that’s interesting results with the caddy feed printers. I don’t know how to put this but the rollers going over the disc is a problem in itself. You are lucky to have decent results…not a matter of design that is for sure. The discs were not intended to have rollers going over them. Maybe a wider caddy (like the width of a paper) with the rollers on ether side? Typically in a CD printer there is no contact on the print surface at all.

The solution is based on economics and end use. Spray is just a bad idea. Go with the discs you like. If this is for personal use then stay with the printer. The roller thing is a big problem in my opinion

[QUOTE=FlyingLuka;2285040]I never wrote about deep tracks (or scratches).

The lines (rollermarks) I was talking about, are quite noticeable. Only in deep colors and with some source of lights.
The CD-rs Verbatim Glossy Printable do NOT leave any kind of rollermarks… they are immune… just perfect!
Please take a look at this thread… hope it will be helpful for you before you waste money on Verbatim :slight_smile: [/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice on the Verbatim CD-Rs :). I’ll order the DVD’s instead to check out the print surface. We are talking about the same rollermarks. Referred to it as scuffing after noticing the rubber rollers in the RX680 that don’t leave any marks. Starting to wonder if the marks are left by the slick plastic roller traveling across the slick watershield surface causing the roller to 1/2 roll and 1/2 slide across the surface. As opposed to the rubber rollers which are truly rolling across the surface. And just by the nature of rubber, more gently, as well. Just a working hypothesis :).
Anyone else using watershields in their RX680/595/580 with rollermark problems?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2285245]Thanks for the advice on the Verbatim CD-Rs :). I’ll order the DVD’s instead to check out the print surface. We are talking about the same rollermarks. Referred to it as scuffing after noticing the rubber rollers in the RX680 that don’t leave any marks. Starting to wonder if the marks are left by the slick plastic roller traveling across the slick watershield surface causing the roller to 1/2 roll and 1/2 slide across the surface. As opposed to the rubber rollers which are truly rolling across the surface. And just by the nature of rubber, more gently, as well. Just a working hypothesis :).
Anyone else using watershields in their RX680/595/580 with rollermark problems?[/QUOTE]

I guess you are absolutely right. I think the problem is due to the material of the rollers: plastic = scuffs - rubber = no scuffs.

First of all your printer belongs to a line made in 2007 and, once again, I verified several brands and it seems that nowadays these damn wheeling rollers are made of hard plastic.

Of course I am talking about printers made for a medium segment of market - from 90 to 150 euros.

Your Epson RX680 used to cost 350 - 400 euros. A little too much for a printer but I have to admit that (maybe) the high cost justifies the choice of a better and a higher quality material manufacturing.

Since I am a type of person very stubborn, I wrote an email to the Canon help desk and to the Germany JVC (Taiyo Yuden importer).

In spite of the evidence, in spite they both know well the problem, Canon blames Taiyo Yuden and (of course) Taiyo Yuden blames Canon, HP, Epson…

I do not know if it is possible on a pubblic forum copy and paste the email sent to me by Taiyo Yuden… If you could only read the answer I would make you laugh till you cry. They just try to prove that black is white and white black.

Unbelievable!