What is InCD?

vbimport

I’m not new to CD/DVD burning, however I only have ever really just burned cd’s and dvd’s using nero Express so I am knew to InCD.

So what exactly does it do? and how does it work?

Also what about the Info tool and CD/DVD speed etc… features?

What can I use all these tools for exactly?

InCD = Packet writing … using a rewritable for “drag and drop” - sounds a great idea, but the way it works puts every bit of data at risk, every time it’s used.

It also means additional system drivers and more “background processes” added to the mess that is Windows - in general, if you can do without it, it’s better not to install it

Cool thanks, but what about Nero CD-DVD Speed? I heard that u can use that to test the qaulity of your burns etc? Or is there a better way to test the qaulity of your burns?

In theory, the key advantage of INCD and similar is that an RW disk is like a giant floppy disk. You can save/read data to and from the disk in the same way you read data to/from a floppy or hard disk. You can easily incrementally add data. The main point is that there is no need to access the burning software e.g. nero burning rom each time you want to save a file.

It is really better suited to data applications etc whereby you are continually changing the data on the disk (much as you do with a hard drive).

For back-up applications, video/audio applications, INCD is not really the best idea. Conventional disk formats are probably better.

However, nowadays since hard disk storage is so large, and USB pens are a very convenient way of transferring large quantities of data, I doubt here is any great advantage any more of using INCD.

Given the reliability issues, I would avoid INCD these days. If you want safe and reliable easy data transfer use a USB pen.

Ahh cool, thanks for your help and matth. I understand now.

CDSpeed can run a transfer rate test on any drive, and may be able to run the quality test on some (report C1/C2 or PI/PIF levels). It can also run a surface (entire disk) or files test, though different drives vary in the detail level.

For the surface test it can always offer GREEN (OK) and RED (unreadable) - if the dive supports it, it may also be able to show YELLOW (damaged).

Finally, the Infotool picks out the relevant system information.