What Is Happening in This Industry?

What’s left of my mind is just reeling. According to people on this board, all the major makes of DVD+R DL disks are garbage — and what’s astounding is that you guys are right. I just don’t understand how it can be. People are still buying this crap, woefully ignorant that they’re buying coasters by the hundreds. Why? Because they trust companies like Memorex, Maxell and other well known manufacturers. I mean, these guys have been making disks for years. They also make players, many of them.

So can anyone explain just what’s going on? It can’t just be poor quality, can it? Their single layer disks do okay, but as I stated elsewhere, I’ve tried to burn movies on Memorex DVD+R DLs on three different computers, five different writers (all with the latest firmware) and three different writing engines, and they pretty much all fail.

So I buy Memorex disks, and a Memorex player, and the damn things crap out by the dozens. Everyone around here seems to know about the problem, but what kind of responses do you get when you call, write or e-mail these manufacturers? What can they possibly say?

As I understand it, you can buy the BEST…NEWEST…UP TO DATE writer on the market and these disks won’t work. How do they get out of the testing phase? Do the Board of Directors get together and say, “Well, these things won’t work in any recorder on the market today, but we can make a bunch of money in new sales that will sustain it until we can come up with a new and improved product…oh, say…in three or four years”?

Has anyone been able to get these disks to work?

Just, please, someone…anyone…pleaaaaassse tell me what’s going on. I’m really at a loss.

It’s not a general problem of DVD+R DL media, just the lack of proper quality control.
Memorex DVD+R DL are a hit or miss, one 25pc cake might burn fine, in the next one all discs fail.

You get what your pay for - that’s why Verbatim and Falcon DVD+R DLs are recommended.

I don’t think there’s any single reason. I’ve only been following the situation for the past 10 years or so, but within this time I have witnessed the following:

1. intense price competition driving everybody to cut costs
  2. quantity over quality as a profit strategy
  3. very slow development of industry-wide cross-testing of drives and discs for general compatibility
  4. lack of interest and knowledge amongst the buying public about dvd burn quality and data longevity (i.e. “it’s digital, it’s perfect forever”)
  5. no wide-dissemination public testing and exposure of bad quality discs or burners (cdfreaks is great, but it’s not the same as CNN as far as viewership and general accessibility goes)

So the production of discs is incentivized (sic!) for cutting costs, increasing volumes and there is no balancing feedback from public quality control.

This is not to say that companies do not care about quality. Of course they do. But they do so only within the limits that allows them to stay in business.

If they have a chance to keep high quality and lose business or cut quality and gain business, they will certainly do the latter.

This is just my take, ymmv. etc.

Thanks, guys, but I’ve yet to get one decent video quality disk from Memorex — that is, a disk that played without skipping or freezing in the middle. So many people on this forum have shared similar stories of their own that I wonder what’s going on.

In fact, I’ve never gotten a decent, usable DL disk, period, regardless of the disk manufacturer. Honestly, I thought this kind of stuff vanished back in the early days when CD writing was a hit or miss proposition. Now it’s back in full force more than a decade later.

[QUOTE=Cold Steel;2310714]Thanks, guys, but I’ve yet to get one decent video quality disk from Memorex — that is, a disk that played without skipping or freezing in the middle. So many people on this forum have shared similar stories of their own that I wonder what’s going on.

In fact, I’ve never gotten a decent, usable DL disk, period, regardless of the disk manufacturer. Honestly, I thought this kind of stuff vanished back in the early days when CD writing was a hit or miss proposition. Now it’s back in full force more than a decade later.[/QUOTE]

Memo_Wrecks disc’s have never been all that great for anybody that I know of that has used them me included unfortunately
that is why I try to steer people away from them. You say that you’ve never had a good/decent usable DL disc regardless of
the disk manufacturer are Verbatim DL discs included in that? :confused: If so are you sure it isn’t your burner that is at fault?

Wrong verbatim DVD+R DL is good.
And Ricoh Made In japan media was also good.

It also depends on what burner your trying to burn the crappy DL disk with. My favorite one right now for making playable burns with any disk is my LGh22n sold as a Memorex burner. I cross flashed it to the LG firmware and it burns most dL 2.4 cheap disk at 4x with great results. My Pioneer 111 also did well with most DL disk and it’s possible the new 7240 MAY be good as well as it uses a NEC chipset as well and they used to be very good at DL disks made by anybody.
If you insist on buying cheap disk poke around the forum and see what burner are doing the best with them now and get one.

any modern DVD burner paired with Verbatim or Falcon DVD+R DL, ditto with Taiyo Yuden “That’s” DVD-R DL, should be good. My favourite DL Media codes are:

MKM 001
TYG 11.

Oh and stay away from Memowrecks and … well … just about everything you find on general store shelves. Good media is out there, you just have to know where to look and what to look for.

[QUOTE=SeanW;2311163]any modern DVD burner paired with Verbatim or Falcon DVD+R DL, ditto with Taiyo Yuden “That’s” DVD-R DL, should be good. My favourite DL Media codes are:

MKM 001
TYG 11.
[/QUOTE]
I agree about Verbatim (never used Falcon brand yet… Never found it here in Italy or in online european store).
And… That’s are genuine TY so they should work as always (never tried too)… I suppose the TYG11 will come in Europe soon easily via JVC brand! :smiley:

I would add that the drive manufacturers are now driven (sorry for the pun) to manufacture cheap drives (for the reasons addressed above) and not spend any time on media compatibility: the real reason behind mix and match MID codes. It is not that the media is counterfeit (unless it is being sold as the brand) it’s the frig’n drive manufacturers lazy attitude. Where else would get a drive that can burn at 24x when no media is rated, nor will ever be rated for such speeds? A complete disconnect from media manufacturer to drive manufacturer.