What is going on with Clone?

I have been using Clone for a long time now but it seems that the updates are getting further apart. The last update was back in July.
I downloaded the trial version of Alcohol 120% V 1.3.3.1030 and it burnt a SD V2.80 cd with no problems at all using a Liteon 48125W and a Plextor 24/10/40A.
I copied Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 and both copies work perfectly.
Clone used to be THE copy programme but the updates are now far too slow in coming.

Just like the rest of us, you will have to live with it. If you choose to go Alcohol, that is your choice, but from what I understand, a new version is scheduled for mod-november, so don’t count it out, in case you were doing so.

I just hope there is a TAGES profile or patch from newest clone cd. I read on some other post here that its possible if the cd is read forwards and backwards. No new game will probably implement this protection scheme, but it would be a cool nifty thing to have.

Originally posted by xtacydima
No new game will probably implement this protection scheme, but it would be a cool nifty thing to have.

very practical, as well.

i thought olli mentioned a revamping of the burning engine before he disappeared, although i might have misinterpretted what he was talking about (or forgotten).

This is a good question since he has taken the ability to download or update clone from his website. Nevermind spoke out of turn sorry.

Hmmm, I just went there and downloaded 4.0.1.10.

Originally posted by ckin2001

very practical, as well.

Well it would be if you wanted to make numerous copies of MotoRacer 3 (European version). Can’t think of much other use for it though.

It would be much better if ccd or one of the other duping proggies came up with a way to make blackcheck’s method of copying the latest securom cds described here accessible to us ordinary mortals.

Well, how is it possible to read a disc backwards? Would it start at one point, and then spin 359 degrees, over and over again? That would be reading it backwards, right?

Originally posted by CCDKing
Well, how is it possible to read a disc backwards? Would it start at one point, and then spin 359 degrees, over and over again? That would be reading it backwards, right?
To read Tages correctly, you read each 2 Kb sector, in turn, from 1 to 300.000, backwards. ie read sector 1 backwards, read sector 2 backwards, etc. Some tricks involved, though.

Afaik: reading backwards like used for Tages is like this: read sector 300000, read sector 299999, … read sector 2, read sector 1. A sector can only be read forwards.

For those who think that the new CloneCD version will have a TAGES profile, don’t even think about it. Oli never adds profiles for protection as that would illegal. The profiles would be the same ones (Data CD, Audio CD, Game CD…), but if he adds new features someone can make those profiles.

Originally posted by vio_man
For those who think that the new CloneCD version will have a TAGES profile, don’t even think about it. Oli never adds profiles for protection as that would illegal. The profiles would be the same ones (Data CD, Audio CD, Game CD…), but if he adds new features someone can make those profiles.

It may be his choice, so he doesn’t step on any toes, or get any litigation against him, but I don’t see how adding a profile for specific protections would be any more illegal than CloneCD is (i.e. it’s not illegal).

Fair-Use entitles you to be able to make a backup copy of the software for your own use. CloneCD assists you in doing that, since the software companies don’t want you to do this.

It’d be interesting to see a class action lawsuit against all the software companies for violating US law regarding fair-use.

Will it ever happen? Probably not. Would it be cool? Hell yes.

CD Mate and Alcohol 120% have profiles for protection, I don’t think they are doing anything illegal.

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
Afaik: reading backwards like used for Tages is like this: read sector 300000, read sector 299999, … read sector 2, read sector 1. A sector can only be read forwards.
yep
Originally posted by spath
[B]
As Liggy explained, reading backwards means reading the sectors
starting from the last one back to the first one, but of course always
reading forward from the first byte of the sector to the last one.
Any drive can do it with the correct program, but I don’t know of
such program (but with a good aspi knowledge it’s a matter of
1 hour to write one).

About Liggy’s concern :

> You just have to read sector by sector beginning with the last one.
> But as drives are optimised to read continuous sectors forward,
> this will be quite slow I think.

As SDG explained, you actually don’t have to read the complete
disc backwards sector by sector, just the duplicate range.
To locate this range, you can seek backwards the complete
disc and read a burst of sectors smaller than the range size.
Then you compare these bursts with the forward image, a
difference gives you the range location. Start with a medium
range size and decrease it if you find nothing. [/B]