What is getting written when a DVD gets finalized?

vbimport

Just wondering, why should it take 5+ minutes to finalize a DVD? Where is the writing taking place and what is being written? Is there some sort of directory that needs an entry for every possible track or sector on the disk? I am guessing this has something to do with all the data that needs to be read when a disk is first loaded into a player, but why so much data! It just seems to me that both of these processes are too slow.

Personally i thought it was the Table Of Contents next to some other info like “session locked” and “disc locked” bits.

That’s an important part of the picture. It also seems like the shorter the content is, the longer it takes to finalize.

Yo BurntDisk-

5+ minutes seems like an awful long time to just finalize a disc - what burning program are you using?

Maybe it only seems like 5+ minutes, but I know it’s at [U]least [/U]3 sometimes. I have Toshiba and Sylvania stand-alone DVRs and a few different burning systems on different PCs. Assuming all is in working condition, the DVD-R standards seems to call for an awful lot of writing just to say the disk is finished and write-protected and “here’s the track list.” Thanks for the reply.

Yo BurntDisk-

My DVDFab only takes 20-30 seconds max to finalize for a full DVD-R copy on my Burning Computer (see below)-eh.

[QUOTE=BurntDisk;2595235]That’s an important part of the picture. It also seems like the shorter the content is, the longer it takes to finalize.[/QUOTE]

With a small file a lot of burning programs will pad the disk out before finalizing to make the disk more ‘compatible’.

Makes good sense. It would make even better sense if the disk actually looked like it was completely filled, rather than the first inch from the center. Maybe the data always needs to begin at a certain offset from the directory area and everything in between the two areas must be filled in for the disk to work. Just an idea- not worth too much thought on a hot day like this.

Long finalizing is due to low capacity using on discs…