What is firmware?

vbimport

I am just a beginner at all this. Could someone tell me what firmware is and how to find out what firmware I have?

firmware forwhat cd,dvd Brand name ?
need more info

bean55

Well technically it is an often-used microprogram or instruction set stored in ROM. Usually refers to the ROM-based software that controls an unit. Firmware is found in all computer based products from Cameras to Digital Peripherals. What kind of product are you referring to when you ask , " How can I find out what firmware I have" If it is an Optical drive I can help you, with a little help from you yourself.:iagree:

I am referring to my Dell Laptop Inspiron E 1505 with DVD±RW DW-Q58A. I am asking about firmware because of a recent problem with my DVD drive. I have been trying to diagnose the problem myself and I keep running into more terminology I don’t know.

Download install and run Nero Info Tool for firmware information. http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html

I don’t use Nero. Should I still download this? and why?

It is free and give you much info about your drive (other Nero programs not needed)

[quote=shortstack;2005656]I am referring to my Dell Laptop Inspiron E 1505 with DVD±RW DW-Q58A. I am asking about firmware because of a recent problem with my DVD drive. I have been trying to diagnose the problem myself and I keep running into more terminology I don’t know.[/quote] Hi shortstack, I just read your other thread. This is not a firmware problem, this is a DMA problem, your drive has most likely slipped into PIO Mode and you have to reset it. Do a little search here on the forum and you will find many threads on this subject. I would not recommend flashing the firmware on your drive, if you are not familar with this process, a bad flash could ruin your drive and this might not even be the cause of your problems.

[QUOTE=shortstack;2005676]I don’t use Nero. Should I still download this? and why?[/QUOTE]

Didn't he just say for firmware info??   :confused::confused:

As alan said though chances aren this is not a firmware problem.

Alan,
Thanks for the heads up that it’s not a firmware problem

[quote=shortstack;2006902]Alan,
Thanks for the heads up that it’s not a firmware problem[/quote]
Anytime shortstack. I hope you get your problems sorted.:wink: