What is Firmware and why should I install it. Is Firmware the same thing as firewire?

Hi

Want to make a question to everybody.

First of all. What is Firmware and why should I install it. Is Firmware the same thing as firewire?

My notebook as only one high speed port (well in the user guide of the notebook it says a high speed port and is different form the other 2 USB), so I’m guessing that I’m not talking about a USB, but perhaps a firewire port.

Some one told me that if I connect my DVD recorder (witch supports firmware, is in the BenQ website) by firewire through the firewire port that I probably have in the notebook it can’t work at a higher rates because my connection in the DVD recorder continues to be an USB and it doesn’t have a firewire port. Is this info correct?

So, if I get a cable that as in one tip a USB connection to connect in to the DVD recorder (remember the DVD recorder doesn’t have a firewire port) and in the other tip a firewire connection to connect to the notebook can it work correctly and do I’ve more speed in data transfer?

I am confused with all this terminology and such different opinions that I really don’t know what I can do about it. The fact is that with my notebook an Intel Pentium 4 processor at 2.6 GZ, takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes to record a DVD and I must do something about it. 1 hour to put the movie in the hard disk and 30 to 45 minutes to record it on a blank DVD. I’m a patient man but this is too much even for me.

Any suggestions about connecting my DVD recorder (Benq EW162I) in a better and provable way are welcome. :bow:

Thanks,

Preacher Man

ok, you’re very confused.

USB and firewire are connections. Firewire is faster than USB2.0. USB 2.0 is faster than USB 1.1. external devices can be connected by all of the above ways.

firmware is ENTIRELY different. you can think of it as the operating system for your drive.

your drive already HAS firmware (otherwise it wouldn’t be working.)

upgrading your firmware can add support for different types of media, increase burn speeds, or allow for enhanced drive testing capabilities among other things.

upgrading your firmware, if done incorrectly, can render your drive useless. Before proceeding either get someone who knows what they’re doing or be VERY sure you have the correct firmware for your drive.

that’s the short answer as this is a very basic question that one could write pages about. I recommend googling “what is firmware” or something similar.

there’s also a firmware subforum on this board and they have a few very helpful stickies there.

in your case, upgrading your firmware (assuming its out of date) AND switching to a firewire conenction for your drive could both improve burn times/quality